• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really true. I used to be a suit four days a week, basic biz casual on Friday (either chinos or grey wool pants with a buttondown shirt) and denim Saturday and Sunday type of guy. As a result, I found it hard to wear shoes like the whiskey balmoral wingtips as they didn't really work Mon-Thurs or Saturday-Sunday. I am now experimenting with wearing trousers with sportscoats and sweaters more (namely thanks to Epaulet) on Friday and weekends. As a result, "casual balmorals" like suede captoe balmorals or whiskey wingtip balmorals make more and more sense.

That said, when it comes to "sharper denim" looks (i.e. denim with a blazer), balmorals can work too

I have a love for nicer shoes but I'm in an environment where dressing business casual is considered "dressed up". I do "dress up" business casual about 2-3 times a week (chinos and oxford, no trousers), and my shoes tend to always draw a lot of attention. I have the RL C&J Lindricks which are nice because they don't draw too much attention since they're a cigar color, but I'm thinking of picking up some #8 975s. Good or bad idea? I don't know if they'll attract too much attention. 

Sounds like a good idea; picking up the 990 is perhaps a better idea.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Looking for Rare Shell - Get on that list...

Back a few months ago I called Kathy on the 10.5D Whiskey Balmoral and got them after somebody here posted a PSA

We discussed why I really called though, the Cigar Cap Toe boots - I knew I had no real shot (I'm a 10.5D) but I wanted in on the next order.

She politely explained that I was #5 for that size, and that an order in my size is typically two pair, so I was potentially looking at a two year wait if everyone ahead of me took theirs.

I said no problem and hopped on the list. I called back a month later to verify I was still on the list... (I was)

I sent her a e-mail about a week after they started showing up here - hoping to simply verify that one person passed on theirs and that I had moved up to the four hole, improving my odds for the next order.

She replied that they contacted the first two people and had not heard back yet from either (they received two pair of 10.5D on this order) and that she would get back to me after everything was confirmed.

I was in Toronto yesterday and flew back to Boston today, upon landing I had a voicemail from a DC number... Hmmm....

The boots were mine if I wanted them - enough guys declined to let a pair drop to me....

SCORE

So my PSA to any of you lurkers out there - call these shops and get on lists. My wait went from possibly two years, to under two months...

Cheers,
BN

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for Rare Shell - Get on that list...

Back a few months ago I called Kathy on the 10.5D Whiskey Balmoral and got them after somebody here posted a PSA

We discussed why I really called though, the Cigar Cap Toe boots - I knew I had no real shot (I'm a 10.5D) but I wanted in on the next order.

She politely explained that I was #5 for that size, and that an order in my size is typically two pair, so I was potentially looking at a two year wait if everyone ahead of me took theirs.

I said no problem and hopped on the list.  I called back a month later to verify I was still on the list... (I was)

I sent her a e-mail about a week after they started showing up here - hoping to simply verify that one person passed on theirs and that I had moved up to the four hole, improving my odds for the next order.

She replied that they contacted the first two people and had not heard back yet from either (they received two pair of 10.5D on this order) and that she would get back to me after everything was confirmed.

I was in Toronto yesterday and flew back to Boston today,  upon landing I had a voicemail from a DC number... Hmmm....

The boots were mine if I wanted them - enough guys declined to let a pair drop to me....

SCORE

So my PSA to any of you lurkers out there - call these shops and get on lists.  My wait went from possibly two years, to under two months...

Cheers,

BN

You're welcome. :)

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
You're welcome.
smile.gif

Nice, thanks!

It had to be 3-4 of you guys out there though.... I have built a nice little collection of "rare" shell in a pretty short time just by making a few calls and keeping an eye here.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why would your shoes attracting attention be a bad thing?

It's hard to explain but I felt the same way when I first started wearing Alden's. The shoes are so much nicer than most that I didn't want to appear too flashy. Now I don't mind at all and even welcome the compliments.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Humm I wear my BB unlined black shell LHS penny's all the time. Have them on now with navy shorts. I do wear a lot of LHS models sockless in the Spring Summer and Fall. Black shell is mostly overlooked on this forum.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, thanks!

It had to be 3-4 of you guys out there though.... I have built a nice little collection of "rare" shell in a pretty short time just by making a few calls and keeping an eye here.

my daytrippers back in (i think 2012) happened in a similar way.. I called Leffot, didnt even know what last they were on (as I was new to alden), just asked if they had my size and surprisingly they did lol

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score

my daytrippers back in (i think 2012) happened in a similar way.. I called Leffot, didnt even know what last they were on (as I was new to alden), just asked if they had my size and surprisingly they did lol

To be honest, I'm pretty much done at this point - there are two other boots I'd love to have, but I've more or less hit a good balance point for how I dress.

I'd like a Ravello boot, and I'm waiting for JG to do another Short Wing #8 boot on plaza / commando. I'd like a #8 SW Bal, and that's pretty much it....

Your day trippers are great, no doubt about that!

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be honest, I'm pretty much done at this point - there are two other boots I'd love to have, but I've more or less hit a good balance point for how I dress.

I'd like a Ravello boot, and I'm waiting for JG to do another Short Wing #8 boot on plaza / commando. I'd like a #8 SW Bal, and that's pretty much it....

Same here. I've got plenty of shoes. Aside from a Ravello boot, there's nothing I need from Alden. In fact, if enough people would go in for a sleek (or just non-country) teak Tricker's boot, I wouldn't even need that.

Although I guess I'd like one of the monochrome saddles too.

90shilling

Reaction score
Buckeye - would you mind sharing what your top 5 most coveted Aldens are? And maybe note which you wear the most often? I own one pair (975) with an eye on several others (likely shell boots for my next acquisition). Always nice to get perspective from somebody with some more hindsight and selection.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Want to get into my first pair of suede Aldens...

I've been rocking chocolate suede indy's for the last week. Got mine from North River Outfitter.

What about Alden's chukkas? I love them, especially the tan but since that's not an option I would go for the snuff suede.

http://unionmadegoods.com/product/alden-unlined-chukka-boot-in-snuff-suede-1493/

Chukkas and Indy in snuff or chocolate suede are sweet options. However, if you're looking for a shoe I highly recommend the snuff LWB or PTB...

Last edited:

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score

Same here. I've got plenty of shoes. Aside from a Ravello boot, there's nothing I need from Alden. In fact, if enough people would go in for a sleek (or just non-country) teak Tricker's boot, I wouldn't even need that.

Although I guess I'd like one of the monochrome saddles too.

Agree on the saddle - somebody posted one a few weeks ago that I really liked, but it wouldn't really fit with how I dress, and I would just be buying it to have.

And I don't want to collect things, if it's not regularly worn, it's got to go...

I pass through Madrid regularly, and I want one of their whole cut calf shoes, and they have a cordovan boot I like.

I have the black medallion toe (full prepay) coming from J.Gilbert as well, so I'm pretty much all set...

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a love for nicer shoes but I'm in an environment where dressing business casual is considered "dressed up". I do "dress up" business casual about 2-3 times a week (chinos and oxford, no trousers), and my shoes tend to always draw a lot of attention. I have the RL C&J Lindricks which are nice because they don't draw too much attention since they're a cigar color, but I'm thinking of picking up some #8 975s. Good or bad idea? I don't know if they'll attract too much attention.
The 975 is a very traditional, classic model. I doubt it would scream attention to your feet. However, if you opt for the antique edge and welt from Leffot, it will draw quite a bit of attention. If modesty is what you are looking for, the 975 should be up your alley.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you know.. I wonder if that would clog the thread up and annoy people (everyone listing what they truly feel are their final alden purchases and then they'd be tapped out...)

eff it, I'll start...

Jcrew ravello LWB from a year or so ago
#8 lwb antique sole from leffot (just preordered)
snuff ptb from whomever offers (will get on impulse by whichever retailer is offering a decent deal, or second hand through the B&S here)
cigar lwb, antique sole
black calf balm for occasional use, although I might just step outside alden for this due to limited use vs cost

those five and I think I'm truly done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads