• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden x JCrew for a Sunday breakfast. Ravello LWB with Brass Eyelets.

-Mike

My favorite pair of ravello shoes, any style. These shoes are the reason I fell in love with this shade.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How often is irregular LWB in chromexcel available in shoemart?
How much ischromexcel shoes getscuffs and beat up?

CXL is pretty good against elements scuffs and ready to get beat up anytime.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was me (sort of). Citi shoes is the only place that has NST on commando and Barrie last (that I've seen)

Recently saw NST on Plaza from LS (old post) and curious what it looks like top down. The product shots always leave something to be desired.

Anyone have a pair they can show off?

The barrie NST boot on commando soles (AKA tanker boot) is somewhat common. Leffot and Context also stock them on a regular basis. Leffot's version is on an antique sole while Context stocks both black and color 8 versions.

circleslife

Reaction score
How often is irregular LWB in chromexcel available in shoemart?
How much is chromexcel shoes get scuffs and beat up?
Can tell you from experience. CXL's are like a tank. Beat them up all you want, scuffs go away easy. Also, get it on commando sole if you can. Getting them on irregulars is strictly matter of luck.

Sergey

Reaction score
Can tell you from experience. CXL's are like a tank. Beat them up all you want, scuffs go away easy. Also, get it on commando sole if you can. Getting them on irregulars is strictly matter of luck.
Is scuff go away independently or I need something to use?
If they are available once in year, than I need a great success. If they are available regularly, then buy them easier.
Commando sole CXL LWB is excellent, but they are rare.

circleslife

Reaction score
Is scuff go away independently or I need something to use?
If they are available once in year, than I need a great success. If they are available regularly, then buy them easier.
Commando sole CXL LWB is excellent, but they are rare.
I use Venetian and horsehair brushing. It masks the scuffs very well. I have also had success with Red Wing Shoe cream I got from BB. Yes, CXL LWB with Commando are rare. I see versions without the commando sole often. It has become my go to pair.

http://horween.bigcartel.com/products?page=1

intensanity

Reaction score
What belts do you guys wear with your shells? It seems like shell belts are all split or extremely rare.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

What belts do you guys wear with your shells? It seems like shell belts are all split or extremely rare.

Predominantly I wear Shell belts. I have a Whiskey, Cigar, and #8 (new model) belts from Alden. I also have a Burgundy Shell Allen Edmonds belt that I wear with my more aged #8 Alden's. I also have a black/tan reversible belt. The tan/brown works well with Ravello and obviously the Black work with Black Shell. Anyone have a black shell belt??

Horween has made some 1-piece and 2-piece belts in the past versus the traditional 3-piece belts. The 1-piece shell belts are extremely rare as the strip between the two shells have to be up to the Shell quality standards.

-Mike

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was me (sort of). Citi shoes is the only place that has NST on commando and Barrie last (that I've seen)

Recently saw NST on Plaza from LS (old post) and curious what it looks like top down. The product shots always leave something to be desired.

Anyone have a pair they can show off?

The barrie NST boot on commando soles (AKA tanker boot) is somewhat common. Leffot and Context also stock them on a regular basis. Leffot's version is on an antique sole while Context stocks both black and color 8 versions.

God, the antique edge is sexy. I will eventually replace my Color 8 Indys (Trubalance) with black edge dressing and commando soles.

Still curious how a Plaza last NST looks on someone.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got Brooks Brothers #8 shell belt. Really like it and it's aging very well.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Full-Strap loafer definitely has the foxing, but the traditional Alden Tassel does not. It's the distinguishing factor between the Alden and the Alden x BB Tassel.

-M

The foxing on the Full Strap is curved. The Alden x BB Tassel has a squared foxing. I had read that the Alden x BB foxing style was exclusive to BB, then saw it on Alden makeups for other retailers. Just seemed odd to me.
Was gunna say this, but you beat me too it. Basically, BB Tassels have it, alden standard tassels don't, and special tassel makeups may or may not.

I never noticed the square vs curved, so good observation.

smmrfld

Reaction score
Anyone have a black shell belt??
I have Alden shell belts in black, #8, and cigar. The black one, while likely indistinguishable from the usual black leather by most, shows that subtle finish that is unique to shell.

chrisefi

Reaction score

Jean's look fine to me. The "better" jeans cost as much, if not more, than tailored pants in the finest fabrics that are custom tailored for the wearer. Bulky for the Jean manufacturers that are able to get the sheep to fork over their (or daddy's and mommy's?) hard - earned cash so foolishly. Mike- being a demonstratedly wise spender of his clothing cash- allocates it to an incredible cordovan stash and not on paying $400 for $2 denim that has purportedly been drenched in a dye vat four time, sniffed by three registered sex offenders after having crossed the crotches of at least three ladies of the night in thee different big city lockups.

Though I would never call someone out like rydenfan did, he's not wrong that you can get affordable denim to do your expensive Shell footwear justice. Gustin Jeans, for example, are handmade selvedge denim in hundreds of fabrics and selvedge Id's. he could get a slimmer fit that cuffs perfectly and the wash/wear of the denim will be according to his use. Gustin is like $90-$120

I havent seen anyone on here recommending or braggin about $700 acid-washed/distressed denim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads