1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Unionmade has something similar with commando sole. But only size 11 is available.

2. mp94

mp94 Well-Known Member

Today... interesting how each shoe has such distinct folds..
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. bm93

bm93 Senior member

I apologize for repeatedly asking about sizing help, as I am unable to get to an Alden store. So I am interested in a few different pairs of Alden x J.Crew shoes: the leather longwings and the cordovan captoe boots, both of which are on the Barrie last. Because both are out of stock in my size, I've been looking secondhand for these shoes, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because of sizing, primarily the width of shoes around the mid-foot and toe box.

For reference, I am between an 8.5D/E on Brannock. I wear 8E on Allen Edmond's 5-last, UK7.5 on Carmina's Rain last, 8 in Clark Desert Boots, and size 9 in Nike Killshot 2's. I am unsure whether to look for size 8 in the Alden x J.Crew Barrie last or size 8.5. Again, the width is my primary concern. I've also read that J.Crew's Barrie last runs more true to size than a typical Barrie lasted shoe. Is this true enough so that I shouldn't size down? Additionally, since shell doesn't stretch much, would I potentially be better off with 8.5 for shell and a size 8 for leather?

Again, I apologize for continuously asking this question, but I'm trying to get as best of an idea as I can before pulling the trigger. Thank you in advance for everyone's help!

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

If what I highlighted in bold is accurate, you will need 8D in the leather LWBs (tobacco waxed?) and 8.5D in the Perf Cap Toe color 8 (shell) boots. J Crew doesn't offer anything other than D width in their Alden make-ups, so this rec should be your best option. Good luck! (BTW, I have both of these pairs in the same size but the LWBs feel much more roomy [wider] than the boots.)

5. bm93

bm93 Senior member

Thank you! From other feedback I've received and read, this seems to be the consensus. And yes, I was referring to the tobacco waxed LWB. If you don't mind me asking, how does the tobacco color compare to the stock photos?

6. wildstar

wildstar Senior member

This is my experience as well. I wear an 8.5D in the LWBs but found 8.5D in the JCrew cap toe boot to be too tight. Going up to 9D in the JCrew is perfect for me. This is consistent with the other Alden cap toe boots I have, they seem tighter generally than the LWBs so I get the cap toe boots up .5 size.

To make it more interesting, I have found that with a leather sole corodovan wingtip boot 8.5D is comfortable. But when I tried a commando sole corodovan wingtip boot 8.5D was too tight.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  7. ReppTiePrepster

1 person likes this.
  8. duff406

duff406 Senior member

What's your favorite all-around Alden? For wearing with, say, chinos todays, maybe jeans on the weekend, and perhaps occasionally some trousers and a button down or sweater on Monday? Longwings? Dover? Staying with shows and not boots though. Curious what everyone's go-to is.

9. ReppTiePrepster

I have to respectfully disagree. I have AoC black shell cap toe boots on commando as well as J Crew's Perf Cap toe boots. The black shell cap toe boots on commando are significantly roomier and slightly longer than the J Crew boots...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure how to explain it, but this is my experience with Alden shell cap toe boots.

10. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

I wear my color 8 chukkas more than any other pair. 403 Indy's a close second. Can't go wrong either longwings or dovers though.

11. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

[​IMG]

Ravello LWB & EP

1 person likes this.
  12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Sleekness! Cigar: [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

deleted post

14. ReppTiePrepster

15. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I have a pair of those very shooes. They are bison leather on plaza last NSTs and were sold by Alden of Carmel over ten years ago. They were offered in that brown and in black as well. To this day I wear the brown pair I got way back when. I wish I had gotten that shoe in black as well, but waited too long. Alden of Carmel was the first to offer unique, custom make-ups, and they offered some incredibly beautiful make-ups. Many of those make-ups were on the plaza last. It always offered impeccable service and flawless product too. [[/I] I was referring to the brown-colored shoes in the top two pictures, which I unsuccessfully tried to copy in to this response.

16. ReppTiePrepster

Classic Alden, my friend! Glad to see you back on a more regular basis. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. ReppTiePrepster

Brilliant shade of cigar Dr! You've inspired me to pull mine out of the closet.

18. hp5273

hp5273 Active Member

Recently acquired a pair of Color 8 NSTs and they would cover all those needs.

I find that PTBs can sometimes be too plain and wing-tips can be too busy.

Having NSTs or cap-toes is nice when you need something in between.

19. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Of all the exotic shell I own my most worn pair of Aldens by a long way are my 401's with Commando sole.

20. Don L

Don L Senior member

Either LWB or NST

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.