• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcinitial

Reaction score
Guys - If anyone is interested, I just returned a #8 Captoe boot in a size 11D in the modified last to the shoe mart.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys - If anyone is interested, I just returned a #8 Captoe boot in a size 11D in the modified last to the shoe mart.

Those were interesting. What was the issue with them?

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys - If anyone is interested, I just returned a #8 Captoe boot in a size 11D in the modified last to the shoe mart.
I am, can you shrink them down?

Out of curiosity why did you pass?

dcinitial

Reaction score
Those were interesting. What was the issue with them?

I wasnt a huge fan of the last after seeing them close up. The issue I think was the one of the quarter panels was a little big wrinkly. I coulda lived with it if they were on the Barrie or Grant last. Have at it fellas.

LittleViti

Reaction score
I wasnt a huge fan of the last after seeing them close up. The issue I think was the one of the quarter panels was a little big wrinkly. I coulda lived with it if they were on the Barrie or Grant last. Have at it fellas.
Good to know -- I think I was looking at the same pair off the seconds list...also, had to watch a few 11.5D #8 Captoes pass through eBay because I'm pretty sure they would have been too big.

Shiny

Reaction score

Gentlemen, Quick question, can steel tap minimize this kind of wear? this the spot where most of shoes start to wear out.
Is that a double leather sole? Or are you getting to the cork already?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, Quick question, can steel tap minimize this kind of wear? this the spot where most of shoes start to wear out.

This will happen to all leather soles eventually. Wearing them on wet days and walking on pavement when the soles are softened from the moisture they absorb from the we ground will cause it to happen much faster.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they were my size, Id be all over it. I've been looking for some modified shell boots sub $1k, which at this point pretty much relegates me to the seconds list. I really think the last suits some styles more than others, but they also look infinitely better once there are some rolls and folds, it disrupts the curved line which makes them look more "normal"

Thanks for sharing the PSA and the thoughts.

Kwaker

Reaction score

Lol... Good one ! I will take my Aldens medium rare please :p

On a serious note is this normal wear ? I have had these for a year and they do get heavy rotation , 3 times a week.

I might take it to B. Nelson. It has started developing some patina and would hate it to be re-dyed by Alden. Also thinking if getting a rubber sole guard installed . Does anyone have any experience with rubber sole guards ?

How quickly you burn through leather soles will depend on the types of surfaces you walk on, the distance covered, whether or not you wear overshoes when the pavement is wet, and your weight.

Shoes in my regular rotation are resoled approximately every 2 years. I would likely have a Topy installed if they wore through every 12 months however.

dcinitial

Reaction score
If they were my size, Id be all over it. I've been looking for some modified shell boots sub $1k, which at this point pretty much relegates me to the seconds list. I really think the last suits some styles more than others, but they also look infinitely better once there are some rolls and folds, it disrupts the curved line which makes them look more "normal"

Thanks for sharing the PSA and the thoughts.

No problem, and my hunt for shell captoe boots continue.

gastarbeider

Reaction score
was wearing my shell LWB this morning, for only the second time i might add. noticed something,which i found alarming. should i be? looks like a crack, or split in the shell. as if the longwing abraded it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads