• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastic
Much thanks friend!

Those look great!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I finally found a pair from an Alden store and am waiting for them to be delivered. I went down 1/2 size in barrie like usual, but part of me wonders if I should have gone down a full size considering (1) I won't be wearing socks with these during the spring/summer for the most part, (2) I can pull off a full size smaller in the suede longwing barries, and (3) the cxl will stretch some over time. I guess we'll see when I put on the ones coming to me.
I am a little concerned that they may stretch to where they'll be a bit too loose. Thought about going down another 1/2 size but opted not to... too tight and small turns me off big time. (oops, that sounded awkward
shog[1].gif
)

I loved my Leffot natural CXL LWB when they were new. That said, they wrinkled up in the vamp pretty early, so I sold them and hope to replace them with Leffot's tan LWB. The wrinkling changes from pair to pair with CXL, so yours may not be bad. I will say that my natural CXL longwings were among my most complemented Aldens.
I think I am prepared for some serious wrinklage... gonna be a casual beater-like shoe anyways.

Quote: Nice boats rtp. You do have a long wing addiction. Yours look great.

Those look great!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
I finally found a pair from an Alden store and am waiting for them to be delivered. I went down 1/2 size in barrie like usual, but part of me wonders if I should have gone down a full size considering (1) I won't be wearing socks with these during the spring/summer for the most part, (2) I can pull off a full size smaller in the suede longwing barries, and (3) the cxl will stretch some over time. I guess we'll see when I put on the ones coming to me.
I usually go bigger when in between sizes. I'd rather use an additional insole if needed, there's nothing you can do if they end up being too tight.
+1, I can already tell that if these stretch much I will likely use a tongue pad and be perfectly happy.

Much thanks MrDV! I am prepared to give any of Alden's LWB on barrie a try. Unfortunately the #2's were not offered to me. I suppose I will live vicariously through your posted pics yet again!
nod[1].gif

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Early arrival, like Christmas Day! I am quite impressed with Chrome excel and its soft, supple texture. They do look like they wrinkle up pretty significantly and quickly. Natural Chrome Excel LWB form TSM...
Those look great!
I'm sure both of you will love them. My NatCXL LWBs, as I've expressed to MrClemson, are my favorite SF-approved shoes since I entered this sad, sad game.
I loved my Leffot natural CXL LWB when they were new. That said, they wrinkled up in the vamp pretty early, so I sold them and hope to replace them with Leffot's tan LWB. The wrinkling changes from pair to pair with CXL, so yours may not be bad. I will say that my natural CXL longwings were among my most complemented Aldens.
Shame to hear that. I've never experienced any "wrinkling" per se besides the obvious creasing that accompanies wear. TBH, I've treed and brushed and the occasional reno/lexol treatment and the things look spectacular. I also concur on the second point - easily my most complimented pair of Aldens.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
El Argentino - You pics of these on this thread are the reason I finally pulled the trigger. Amazing!

FENWAY

Reaction score
Hard to tell from your pic, but doesn't look too bad from here. Is it a deep gouge or a surface scratch?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Might anyone be able to comment on whether this is normal or excessive toe wear (~20 wears 974)? And if so what are recommended, inexpensive and un-obtrusive options to prolong their life? I've seen/read many comments about taps, Topy's, etc...I've even seen a toe replacement due to excessive wear. Thoughts? Or should I redirect to the shoe care thread? Thanks

Also, at what point do I risk damaging the shoes/welt?

No tips here, I got crazy lucky and scored an Alden Whiskey belt last year. I think AE, Horween, or Rancourt are your best bets.
Sir, that looks about normal in my book. Shoes use a special type of stitch, something like a lock stitch. MoneyWellSpent can walk you through the detailed physics of it. But it's designed to be resistant to losing the bottom stitch. You may want to consider taps, if you are heavy in the toe or want to reduce the number of resoles.

Yes, this is normal toe wear. This varies depending upon your gait, and how well the shoes are broken in indoors before being worn on abrasive surfaces. Thoroughly breaking them in indoors on soft/smooth surfaces will help cut down on it to a degree, but the toes will still round off to an extent as they adapt to your personal gait.

The soles are stitched on using a lock stitch as mdubs said above. Here is a diagram showing the technique if you are interested:

You can see the diagram in motion here: http://home.howstuffworks.com/sewing-machine1.htm

Essentially, the twist in the stitch locks the threads together where they cross in the needle hole. The machine can be adjusted to different depths, and with shoes, it is usually set to twist and lock the threads together about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom. That way, when the threads are sheared off during normal wear and contact with the ground, the lock is protected, which helps hold the sole on. That's why you will see a bunch of dots where the threads used to be on a well worn leather sole, but everything is still intact (that and because they cement the sole in addition to stitching it).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, Quick question, can steel tap minimize this kind of wear? this the spot where most of shoes start to wear out.

This is 100% normal. You have simply worn a hole in your 1st layer of your double sole. You are seeing the next layer of leather underneath. All shoes will reach this point eventually. They just need new soles. Fortunately for double soles, a hole in the first layer of leather doesn't constitute the need for an immediate/urgent resole like a single sole does. Just get them resoled when you can. No, toe taps won't help. Shoes wear this way with normal walking and normal wear and tear, you don't have to be doing anything unusual for this to happen. It's the most prominent location for leather soles to develop a hole, so you aren't doing anything wrong. If they've worn too quickly for your taste, you can wear them in a larger rotation, or add a topy.

Last edited:

Profligate47

Reaction score

Might anyone be able to comment on whether this is normal or excessive toe wear (~20 wears 974)? And if so what are recommended, inexpensive and un-obtrusive options to prolong their life? I've seen/read many comments about taps, Topy's, etc...I've even seen a toe replacement due to excessive wear. Thoughts? Or should I redirect to the shoe care thread? Thanks

Also, at what point do I risk damaging the shoes/welt?

B.Nelson did these on several of my Aldens. They work well...

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

First and only (so far ; ) whiskey
Way to start out your Whiskey collection. The Whiskey LWB is a terrific shoe. Enjoy them!
Whiskey PTB today
Wow, those are another fine example of Whiskey Shell.
Ravello chukka maiden voyage
Those are exceptional shoes. Enjoy. Ravello rocks.
Maiden voyage on my Chromexcel LWB Commando Sole from TSM. I am loving the commando sole.Extremely comfortable. Bonus brass eyelets. Anyone know who they were made for?
Dang those are cool. I was supposed to get my ShoeMart delivery today but FedEx messed up. Got to wait till tomorrow. I got the Shortwing Boots in Natty CXL with brass eyelets. The commando is awesome.
Revisiting yesterday's discussion on the differing shades of Ravello... Check out my Ravello PTBs below. They are clearly different shades, and these were first quality. Used to bother me a bit, but now I just wear socks that are slightly different shades. ;) No one will notice the differing shades but you. Even if they do, just tell them their eyes must be bad! Sorry, the pix are kind of dark today
Saz, those look awesome to me. Cant barely tell if there is a color difference. Love them Ravello PTBs. And you sport them nicely. Accidentally deleted the wrong pic though. :-(
Don't recall seeing these posted before. Mahogany grain cordovan Algonquin Blucher's. Look absolutely amazing.
Link here.
Hoit, those are amazing. Grain Shell from Alden is rediculously rare in general. That old Mahogany is super hard to find now. The two combined is impossible. Shame they aren't yours!
Early arrival, like Christmas Day!
I am quite impressed with Chrome excel and its soft, supple texture. They do look like they wrinkle up pretty significantly and quickly. Natural Chrome Excel LWB form TSM...
RTP, those are sweet LWBs. One of the few remaining LWBs I would consider. I actually would love to get them on the Leydon last like ElA's. Those are sweet I hope that you like and keep them as I imagine they will patina nicely. The edging pops particularly nicely on your shoes.
I'm sure both of you will love them. My NatCXL LWBs, as I've expressed to MrClemson, are my favorite SF-approved shoes since I entered this sad, sad game. Shame to hear that. I've never experienced any "wrinkling" per se besides the obvious creasing that accompanies wear. TBH, I've treed and brushed and the occasional reno/lexol treatment and the things look spectacular. I also concur on the second point - easily my most complimented pair of Aldens.
ElArg, your Natty CXL LWBs are amazing and I wish to get something like yours someday. Beautiful. -Mike

Last edited:

theinsanemao

Reaction score

I was expecting my order to come in after busy season was over. I feel like a little kid at Christmas!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
RTP, those are sweet LWBs. One of the few remaining LWBs I would consider. I actually would love to get them on the Leydon last like ElA's. Those are sweet I hope that you like and keep them as I imagine they will patina nicely. The edging pops particularly nicely on your shoes.
Much thanks Mike! I too like El Argentino's LWBs on Leydon. I was torn between the light brown edge/welt and the very light (off-white) edge/welt that El and others have. I'm not sure why I chose these, but I suppose they are not as casual and therefore a little more versatile. I think I would be equally happy. Anyways, thanks gents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics