1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

You stay classy, San Diego

2. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

I agree completely about heel fitting better with the trubalance.

3. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

You Sir, are a Gentleman and a Scholar. [​IMG]

Bravo for giving back to the SF Alden community. [​IMG]

4. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

@Burzan

We may have the exact same foot. If your feet are event slightly wide or have a high instep, I recommend going to E over sizing up a half.

If 7.5E Barrie fits you well, then stick with 8E for Grant and Plaza.

5. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

So I'm a 7.5D Barrie shoe (fits great) and you suggest maybe 7.5E Barrie Boot (7.5D is quite snug) and 8E Grant & Plaza?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  6. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Yep. I don't believe the half size up wisdom. I think it works for people who have the same shape foot.

If you have to size up to make up for width, you shouldn't (IMO) size up from THAT size; it's not your true size. You will likely get heel slippage. Best advice is to stick with your Brannock width but go up/down a size based on the last. Alden SA told me to keep width constant, and I now agree with him.

7. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I was thinking about the heel width and slippage and that was my concern with trying a 7.5E in barrie boots vs an 8D because, and maybe I am wrong, but from what I understand the 7.5E would be the wider of the two. At the same time it make sense just going up in width as I don't feel I need any extra length so maybe I am over complicating it.

Damn my in between Brannock size making things confusing. The trial and error process will continue but this gives me lots of info to help make an informed decision on my next purchase.

8. Slammo

Slammo Well-Known Member

Would like some opinions on the gash on these Alden seconds I just received from Shoemart. Given the location, visually this does not bother me but the cut seems to go straight through the leather all the way down to the heel counter. The gash is not in an area that flexes but I'm concerned that I won't be able to have these resoled as a result of the damage. I suppose I could topy them (repeatedly?) to hold off on resoling them and perhaps have the gash filled in with something...

Thoughts? To keep or not to keep...

[​IMG]

9. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

No question...return.

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Agreed

11. Slammo

Slammo Well-Known Member

Thanks gents, deep down I think I knew that was the right answer already - just needed to hear it from someone else. Back they go.

12. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I wouldn't have even taken the time to photograph those. They would already on their way back to Connecticut.

-Mike

13. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Also, what size are you? Interlock has a few first quality suede chukkas and a nice shoe on eBay for not much more than second pricing. I'm surprised those were even sold as seconds in that condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Shoe-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19fa33a922

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Couple of Chup socks down to $33 with an additional 40% off at J Crew. Shipping and exchange kills the sale for me but you US guys may like the deal.

15. Slammo

Slammo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on this - much appreciated. I'm an 8.5e but the only last (Alden or otherwise) I've ever found that actually fits well is the modified last, which certainly limits my options. I'm slowly building up a rotation of shoes from moulded (as my preferred styles trickle in) and I'm considering placing an order through Anatomica but I'm not sure that I want to spend that much on Aldens (but they kind of have me by the balls...).

16. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Slammo- I've seen a lot of TSM seconds, but have never seen anything as severe as that. Box 'em up

17. Slammo

Slammo Well-Known Member

haha - just my luck, this is my first time purchasing Alden seconds. Boxing in progress!

18. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

A little duct tape and those bad boys will be as good as new... :facepalm:

Just kidding, send them back!!

19. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Now that the stitching is aging, trying out some gray laces in the 'ol work boots...
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

great collection sir.

nice combo dubs. blue suede looks great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.