• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

triumphman

Reaction score
Another quick sizing question...

Looking to purchase a Barrie Last boot, but have heard 2 different responses on what size to get, so just want to get a concensus...

I wear sz 8.5 sneakers, sz 8 (41) in shoes (ie, clarks, johnston & murphy, hugo) what size do I need to get... a 7.5 or 8 in the Barrie?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
Another quick sizing question... Looking to purchase a Barrie Last boot, but have heard 2 different responses on what size to get, so just want to get a concensus... I wear sz 8.5 sneakers, sz 8 (41) in shoes (ie, clarks, johnston & murphy, hugo) what size do I need to get... a 7.5 or 8 in the Barrie?
You need to try them on, but probably a 7.5.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
^ they look great but DO NOT keep them if you feel that they are too large for your feet. Even with insoles and other potential fixes, it is likely that they will not fit you as well as you'd like and you will end up with a pair of shoes that you will wear for 5 times and leave in the closet or sell for a lot less than what you bought them for. My suggestion is to keep them new, trade it in for Context credit, or sell them for what you bought them for if anyone is interested. Trust me, I've been through this more than once.

^ Truth...

Actually considering selling my #8 and Ultimate Indy - 9D because of this. PM me for pics, price, etc.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
^^thanks rebel...would you say 7.5 w/ medium weight socks (kinda like athletic socks)

This would be funny if I didn't think you were serious.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
i love aldens but only in cordovan. i think the extra amount is worth it for cordovan and if its not in cordovan there are plenty of other brands with great shoes.
This is my thinking, too, though I have not owned Aldens in calf. I have tried on calf Aldens in that soft, almost garment-leather grade. Crease city.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jebeebus
Got my 9.5D Roy boots on Monday, and I'm almost sure I can go with 9D
frown.gif
They're bigger than any other shoe I have (even my clunky Rick dunks) and just make my feet look huuuge

slim chance, but did anyone happen to get their Roys in 9D and need a half size larger?

5204228047_854093f362.jpg
5204823964_237902027b.jpg

Damn nice looking but if they're too big you know what you have to do.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bermannyc
Has anyone had any trouble in terms of quality of the construction of their boots? I bough a pair from Context a few months ago and the stitching has already come undone in two places. When I sent them back directly to Alden for a repair they did a pretty sloppy job. It basically looks like a brand new pair of boots with a mediocre repair done to them. I called Alden and they wanted me to send them back again which I wasn't really into. Customer service isn't one of Alden's strong points. Thankfully Context just decided to replace them and they're going to deal with it. Sam, one of the owners, was really great about that. He totally was willing to do whatever I wanted to make sure I was satisfied.
Every step in the manufacturing process of a pair of Aldens should be accounted for on any particular shift, based on a unique number for each pair. Who was doing what and when should be traceable. These things need to be addressed. Sloppy or indifferent craftspeople need to be given the boot. Get it? Can you show pics?

jebeebus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
Damn nice looking but if they're too big you know what you have to do.

Yeah I'm definitely not keeping them, I'm just really hoping someone returns a 9D to Context or find someone on forums, if not... I'm not sure if I can wait another 6 months
frown.gif

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Unlace them, especially if they're shell.

I unlace the top three, and then push then tongue into the fourth so the laces are very loose (so it's essentially like unlacing four), and use a shoehorn.

That is exactly what I do as well...

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Anyone care to provide details of why shoes trees are important? What exactly do they do to help the shoe? Is it just about keeping their shape?

Thanks in advance.

This is a good question for the search function, but:

- Supposedly shoe trees absorb the moisture left by your foot, protecting the leather by drying it out more rapidly. Opinions vary on this point

- Shoe trees help to maintain the shape of the shoe, especially by filling out the vamp and heel and by keeping the sole from curling, as they will tend to do over time. This is why your shoe tree should be 'tight but not too tight' in your shoe.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up. 15% off Alden (or any other brand. they sell AE, Redwing, etc.) at Sherman Bros. Code: Turkey.
If I didn't just shoot my entire holiday budget on some boots, I would have used this code to get some #8 longwings and maybe some shoe accessories.
They have both the 405 and the 403 Indy, Chukkas is various colors, #8 PTBs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads