• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cigar tassels.... I added my name to the tassel list
GOOD MOVE. Probably my favorite pair of Alden shoes.

^Yeah, Yeah. Borderline crotch shot. Get over it.

Just signed up for the tassels.
I think that you will be ready for them. Mind you, Tassels are not for beginners. They can be a disaster when not done right. However, I have full confidence in your ability.

Last edited:

docalden2013

Reaction score
Those are pretty sweet!
Thank you!

GOOD MOVE. Probably my favorite pair of Alden shoes.

I think that you will be ready for them. Mind you, Tassels are not for beginners. They can be a disaster when not done right. However, I have full confidence in your ability.
I appreciate the encouragement. I plan to purchase the king tassels in April after I bring up the balance on this account a bit.

Vicious49

Reaction score
It sure looks like the same pair to me ... wondering if he got them restored just to flip on the bay or if he just had a change of heart.

I'm guessing change of heart because $325 plus $160 or whatever it is for restoration would come out to his starting bid of $500.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It sure looks like the same pair to me ... wondering if he got them restored just to flip on the bay or if he just had a change of heart.

Agreed, must be the same pair. Strange that even after restoration, the left and right shoe don't seem to match color-wise (first picture). But if somebody is jones-ing for a quick whiskey...

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed, must be the same pair. Strange that even after restoration, the left and right shoe don't seem to match color-wise (first picture). But if somebody is jones-ing for a quick whiskey...

Agreed, however I have seen worse mis-matches on Whiskey shoes from the factory!

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all that helped and gave good advice a few days ago on sizing the LHS on the Van, I say thanks! Did manage to find a pair to try on today and have the #8's shipping in the next day or so. Leaving for a three week vacation on Friday so close to a month wait to have them in my hands though.
Went out for a solo dinner this eve (wife already on vacation), then home with a scotch and some serious brushing on a couple of shell boots that are a little worse for wear after this awesome Chicago winter we've been having....kinda' therapeutic.

smdbitchh

Reaction score
Had my first hands on experience with B. Nelson last week. Was mixed but would probably return to have more shoe repairs done in the future but would be very clear about what I wanted.

two things I had done.

Re-sole of Alden full strap color 8 loafers.
Charged $90 which seems fair for a full re-sole and had sole protectors put on for a extra $30.
I dont know a ton about what goes into a re-sole depending on how worn they are but looks like they did a clean job. Didnt notice when I picked them up but when I got them home and took a closer look at the sides(edge trim) it now appears to be natural edging which is fine in my case since I wear them very casually mostly with jeans and chinos. I actually like the way it looks but that would be a major problem if they were shoes I needed for work or some other formal occasion. I didnt specify black but they weren't too chatty and wanted to leave it to the pros.

Second pair of shoes were Alden Vanguard boot collaboration with leather soul.
Had sole protectors put on the front of these when I bought them and they came with goodyear rubber heels.
The heels were starting to wear down and get close to the leather portion so I wanted those replaced and new sole protectors put on the front which were also wearing down to the leather sole underneath. The guy told me the heels would be $60 and the front portion sole protectors would be $40 so I decided to just have the heels replaced at this time. Seemed like a fairly easy job that most cobblers could do and when I picked them up they looked good as expected. The one issue I had with these boots when picked up is that they were shined and no longer looked like a nice matte chromoexcel. I appreciate that they cleaned them up but they were polished to a high gloss almost. Not a huge deal if the gloss will fade with time. I was going to leave them and see how that works out unless anyway has any feedback and thinks I would be better off removing the polish somehow and starting fresh.

Do most on here have rubber soles and such replaced before the actual leather gets worn at all? I assumed that would be a cheaper route and better for the shoes in the long run but the cost of replacing those pieces seems to be in line with having a full re-sole done.

sorry about the long rant. Just my 2 cents. I think they did a nice job but was a little surprised by the things mentioned above since they had stacks of alden boxes that they work on daily.

PeterL

Reaction score
Had my first hands on experience with B. Nelson last week. Was mixed but would probably return to have more shoe repairs done in the future but would be very clear about what I wanted.

two things I had done.

Re-sole of Alden full strap color 8 loafers.
Charged $90 which seems fair for a full re-sole and had sole protectors put on for a extra $30.
I dont know a ton about what goes into a re-sole depending on how worn they are but looks like they did a clean job. Didnt notice when I picked them up but when I got them home and took a closer look at the sides(edge trim) it now appears to be natural edging which is fine in my case since I wear them very casually mostly with jeans and chinos. I actually like the way it looks but that would be a major problem if they were shoes I needed for work or some other formal occasion. I didnt specify black but they weren't too chatty and wanted to leave it to the pros.

Second pair of shoes were Alden Vanguard boot collaboration with leather soul.
Had sole protectors put on the front of these when I bought them and they came with goodyear rubber heels.
The heels were starting to wear down and get close to the leather portion so I wanted those replaced and new sole protectors put on the front which were also wearing down to the leather sole underneath. The guy told me the heels would be $60 and the front portion sole protectors would be $40 so I decided to just have the heels replaced at this time. Seemed like a fairly easy job that most cobblers could do and when I picked them up they looked good as expected. The one issue I had with these boots when picked up is that they were shined and no longer looked like a nice matte chromoexcel. I appreciate that they cleaned them up but they were polished to a high gloss almost. Not a huge deal if the gloss will fade with time. I was going to leave them and see how that works out unless anyway has any feedback and thinks I would be better off removing the polish somehow and starting fresh.

Do most on here have rubber soles and such replaced before the actual leather gets worn at all? I assumed that would be a cheaper route and better for the shoes in the long run but the cost of replacing those pieces seems to be in line with having a full re-sole done.

sorry about the long rant. Just my 2 cents. I think they did a nice job but was a little surprised by the things mentioned above since they had stacks of alden boxes that they work on daily.
Thank you for sharing your experience with B. Nelson. I have been thinking to take my vintage cordovan LWB to them for re welt and resole for an antique edge. Wasn't able to get in touch with them via email. Could you share some before and after pictures?

100 yrs

Reaction score

The one issue I had with these boots when picked up is that they were shined and no longer looked like a nice matte chromoexcel. I appreciate that they cleaned them up but they were polished to a high gloss almost. Not a huge deal if the gloss will fade with time. I was going to leave them and see how that works out unless anyway has any feedback and thinks I would be better off removing the polish somehow and starting fresh.

Do most on here have rubber soles and such replaced before the actual leather gets worn at all? I assumed that would be a cheaper route and better for the shoes in the long run but the cost of replacing those pieces seems to be in line with having a full re-sole done. 

sometimes cobblers just cannot help themselves and go to town. it's happened with cxl with me before as well. i tried a few things to no avail, but it eventually faded away over time on its own. i also used to be squarely in the topy camp, but now i'm not so sure. it does add traction but i feel like the soles on the non-topied shoes i have have broken in more comfortably than the ones with topy, specifically double leather. but i'm probably imagining things.

PSA.....I stopped by Harrison, Ltd. this afternoon while in Birmingham for business.....they are taknig preorders for cigar PTBs and cigar tassels....no idea on timing but I added my name to the tassel list.....not sure of the specs on the PTBs but mine from there are dover pattern with 6 eyelets and I believe are on the Plaza last....older picture below for reference.

i'm pretty sure i put my name on a list for those ptbs over a year and a half ago, maybe after you first posted about your pair. at the time the guy had no idea of an arrival date. but i was told that they were on aberdeen if it is the same makeup. yours sort of look like plaza though

aldenwear

Reaction score
this year Halloween fell on a weekend, me and and the ghetto boys were trick-or-treatin...

Outstanding! Fantastic looking! Bwwwwhaaaaaaaaaaa!

aldenwear

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a stain on my Need Supply exclusive Indys last night that I believe is from olive oil while cooking. When I first noticed it I just hit it with a wet cloth, but when it dried and was still there I tried a tiny bit of organic hand soap with the water. Frustrated as hell, I hit the webs and saw people talking about using cornstarch so I put a dab of that on the stain and rubbed in with my finger to create some heat and that didn't work.....next, let the cornstarch sit for an hour and no luck with that either.

Needless to say, I'm pretty damn mad right now and have a water stain as well! What should I try next? All I have at my house is the Alden neutral boot cream and neutral Venetian shoe cream.

I'm gonna beat these guys up over the coming years, but hate having stains with them only a couple days old.

Thanks

At the risk of saying what you don't want to hear, my thought is not to worry about this. Spots are inevitable on natural CXL, and this is part of the patina you are developing. Plus the leather will darken with age anyway so, over time, the difference in color will diminish. Enjoy them and don't worry. Be happy.

Last edited:

Vicious49

Reaction score
I mailed in a pair of churchs diplomats to b Nelson last year and the guy called me to ask me exactly what I wanted, including the color of the edging. He said they usually replace it with whatever is currently there unless you specify differently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads