• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like those Indy on the Plaza shouldn't be called an Indy. More of a moc or stitch toe to me. They are awesome looking just not an Indy to me

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great info, thanks for sharing. Just wanted to add a personal thumbs up for dainite. While Alden doesn't offer anything on dainite, it an aftermarket option from B. Nelson or other 3rd party cobbler.
I recently bought the C&J Islay on dainite and find it an amazing sole in the rain and snow. I'm seriously considering re-soling my #8 PCT boots with dainite when they need it.
Nice score on the Islays PB. Personally I find double leather soles more forgiving on my overused thought I was an athelete knees. p.s. How again do you get that killer shine on your J Crew #8 PCT boots anyway? Sorry, I'm just jealous.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked these up on the bay and was hoping someone could clear up a response I got from Alden

Before pulling the trigger, I reached out to Alden for some basic information (which I always do when considering an EBAY purchase). I ask for the retailer, last, and to confirm that they are shell. Usually the response is pretty clear, but this was the one I received in relation to these boots:

Style 4060 is #8 cordovan, plain toe boot, leather sole, made only on request for individual retailers, not a stock item.

First, I would consider this to be a Captoe, but that's not my question. I don't know what 'made only on request for individual retailers' means. I've read posts that refer to made-to-order or custom items. Is this what the Alden response means? Seems strange as there really doesn't seem to be anything special or unusual about these. I could reach back to Alden but they seem slower than normal to respond so I figured I'd reach out to the experts.

Somewhat related, I've been a big fan of renovater but recently ran out and decided to tey some venetian shoe cream. I expected to have to work on these boots for hours as they were pretty beat up. A little VSC mixed in with a deer bone and 15 minutes of brushing has done wonders. I can't ever imagine paying renovater prices again.

As always, any advice is appreciated.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like those Indy on the Plaza shouldn't be called an Indy. More of a moc or stitch toe to me. They are awesome looking just not an Indy to me
+1,000

Not only shouldn't they be called an Indy -- they are NOT Indy.
nest.gif

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1,000

Not only shouldn't they be called an Indy -- they are NOT Indy.  :nest:

Agreed 100%. As I mentioned before, the plaza "Indys" are moc toe dress boots, not Indy boots. That doesn't make them any less attractive of a boot. "Indy Boots" though are casual work boots, which that boot is not.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple of my recent picks-ups, Color 8 Full-Strap and a Color 8 Indy on the Plaza last. -Mike
mdubs, I am so jealous. I think the full strap is the dreseist casual shoe in the Alden lineup. The plaza Indy's on commando are a great looking boot, have you thought about changing their speed-hooks for eyelets? Saw that posted earlier today. Wear them always in the best of health.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked these up on the bay and was hoping someone could clear up a response I got from Alden

Before pulling the trigger, I reached out to Alden for some basic information (which I always do when considering an EBAY purchase). I ask for the retailer, last, and to confirm that they are shell. Usually the response is pretty clear, but this was the one I received in relation to these boots:

Style 4060 is #8 cordovan, plain toe boot, leather sole, made only on request for individual retailers, not a stock item.

First, I would consider this to be a Captoe, but that's not my question. I don't know what 'made only on request for individual retailers' means. I've read posts that refer to made-to-order or custom items. Is this what the Alden response means? Seems strange as there really doesn't seem to be anything special or unusual about these. I could reach back to Alden but they seem slower than normal to respond so I figured I'd reach out to the experts.

Somewhat related, I've been a big fan of renovater but recently ran out and decided to tey some venetian shoe cream. I expected to have to work on these boots for hours as they were pretty beat up. A little VSC mixed in with a deer bone and 15 minutes of brushing has done wonders. I can't ever imagine paying renovater prices again.

As always, any advice is appreciated.

This site has a list of Alden "stock items." The Alden factory continually makes these shoes; any Alden retailer can order them for you from the Alden warehouse

http://www.aldenshoe.com/

The Alden 4060 is indeed only made on request for individual retailers. As far as I know, the 4060 are sold pretty much only at Alden Madison Avenue, The Shoe Mart and Citishoes.

soundersfc2

Reaction score
I don't get why most people prefer shell cordovan, I don't like the shine and I think they look too purplish. I definitely like the 2nd a lot more.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I don't get why most people prefer shell cordovan, I don't like the shine and I think they look too purplish. I definitely like the 2nd
a lot more.

Different strokes for different folks! It's your money. Buy what you like!

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get why most people prefer shell cordovan, I don't like the shine and I think they look too purplish. I definitely like the 2nd a lot more.

I can respect your opinion, just know that you've inadvertently swapped color 8 and the term 'shell cordovan' to be one in the same, so to speak.. one can have a pair of shell shoes, albeit shiny or not, and be nowhere near a purplish hue

these are shell

as are all three of these pair,

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At one time I didn't care for shell - I actually just didn't "understand" it. I thought it had a shiny, plasticky effect to it and I knew that you really were not supposed to polish it up. That, combined with a lack of any concept as to its properties, put me off of it. I recall shelves of Aldens, many in in rare colors -- it was plentiful in the shop near the South Street Seaport I used to go to -- and I'd just kind of ignore it. Yeah, the shoes were cool in their way, but it was a whole other thing I didn't want to mess with. Some 7-10 years later, with many of my older calf shoes starting to wear out, I can't help but thinking about how those Aldens would have aged and all of the great options I missed.

Not to say this will happen to OP. Shell isn't for everyone and that's great for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics