• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunw

Reaction score

One month in of wearing my Natty CXL Indy's (on the Modified Last) as daily wears. No rotation with these, I've been wearing them 6-7 days a week. So far the weather/exposure hasn't been all that bad. Some rain, some mud and sand, a few light hikes. They've gotten Lexoled a couple of times, and heavily LP'd early on. Didn't mess with the color much at all, other than making the natural welt a bit darker. I plan on wearing these every day this winter, except possibly for snow that's heavy enough to make me wear my beans.

Fit wise, they've stretched a bit more than I'd have wished, mostly in the eyestays. They haven't stretched much, if at all, in the actual foot area. Light heel slippage, but I think it's mostly because the rear of the shoe needs to break in just a little bit more to flex with my heel.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like after a full season of exclusive wear, and posting them here (next to everyone's neat and shiny shoes).
they might look good after a full season of exclusive wear but they aint going to smell good.....

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Interesting...
Are you at least brushing and treeing them at night?
I imagine they will get funky a bit if they are not able to thoroughly dry over night. 

If I was wearing shoes daily, I wouldn't tree them. You want them to dry overnight before inserting the trees. That's what I do with all my shoes, but they also get worn 1-2 times a month, not a day!!! :)

-Mike

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was wearing shoes daily, I wouldn't tree them. You want them to dry overnight before inserting the trees. That's what I do with all my shoes, but they also get worn 1-2 times a month, not a day!!! :)

-Mike
Now I have heard letting them dry before inserting trees, but I also have heard that trees help absorb the moisture from normal wear...
Interesting conundrum.
I always assumed if they were soaked through you could leave the trees out and stuff with newspaper to help wick the wet.
I assumed the trees after the daily use is appropriate.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

LHS Family Shot:

Cordovan Calf / Whiskey Shell / Cigar Shell

I picked up the barely worn Cigars for $203 on eBay. There are good deals out there if you're patient.

I hope everyone on here had a fantastic Thanksgiving and a great start to Hanukkah if you celebrate it.

nephew,
good family portfolio
good hunting

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uncle, those are some beautiful boots and your shine is impeccable as is to be expected.
Zippy, those are some beautiful boots!

-Mike

nephew,
thank you

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
The insert Alden provides with their Shell Cordovan shoes recommends that you let them cool before inserting the trees. And yes Cedar trees help absorb moisture, but it can't help if it's a lake inside your shoes. :)

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now I have heard letting them dry before inserting trees, but I also have heard that trees help absorb the moisture from normal wear... 
Interesting conundrum.
I always assumed if they were soaked through you could leave the trees out and stuff with newspaper to help wick the wet. 
I assumed the trees after the daily use is appropriate. 
Vass's book on shoes says that inserting trees immediately after use is best and that, in his view, the notion that you should wait is not supported. To each his own, but that's good enough for me.

If soaking wet - rain, for example - the newspaper (then trees) works in my experience.

Last edited:

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I give them a brushing if there's dirt or sand on them, but no, I don't brush them daily out of formality. I mean, it's not as though they need to have a completely sterile surface or anything, and I'm not going for some kind of a shine (though they do stay nice and shiny regardless). As for smell and moisture, I think people exaggerate the extent to which leather shoes need to air out and dry. They get a solid 12 hours in between wearings, which is plenty of time for them to dry out just from general wear, and I'm wearing socks so it's not like there's sweat just sitting on the leather. They won't develop some kind of mould or fungus just being worn on a daily basis. Also, I am definitely not treeing these as that would counteract the extent to which they properly mould to my foot. My foot isn't shoe tree shaped.

I think there's a lot of wisdom around here that's 100% great for shoes that you want to keep looking practically brand new, shiny, and only wear a few times a month. That's totally fine. But these are boots that I'm going to wear as boots. Can you imagine if Indiana Jones, in the middle of the desert, said "hold on, I've gotta give these boots a good brushing because do you *know* how much they cost? Fortunately I carry a spare pair so I can rotate every day."

Over on Reddit, /u/hoobahans posted a pair of 403s about a year ago, this is what a few years of daily wear and treatment will make them look like. Yeah, they get beaten up, but you have to figure he's probably worn them way more often than an infrequent wearer would.

rexet

Reaction score
I'm quite new to Alden shoes.

I fell in love with this model that I just tried in a French shop:

http://www.frenchtrotters.fr/boutique/fr/1108-cap-toe-boots-cordovan-8.html

The problem is my size was not available (looks 9D would be great since 8,5D was tight and 9,5D too roomy) and they don't expect to receive new stock.

I'm willing to make them ship from the US. Any advice where I could find the exact same configuration? Meaning:
- color Cordovan 8
- tip toe
- commando sole
- eyelet lacing

I find this one that come close but seems to be only available in black:
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Shoes-Black_Shell_Cordovan_Straight_Tip_Boot_169.htm

Thank you mates :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads