• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW i have seen one pair of color 4s, out of all of the shops i have been in or even called. Those belonged to Mr.Taffel. I would say the lack of color 4 is real.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

FWIW i have seen one pair of color 4s, out of all of the shops i have been in or even called. Those belonged to Mr.Taffel. I would say the lack of color 4 is real.

Yeah, I definitely agree on the lack of Color 4. But I think this is simply because Alden and Horween choose not to produce it in favor of the other rare colors.

Last edited:

totalair1

Reaction score

I'll say this, for what it is worth: the person with whom I spoke at the ShoeMart was especially confident that the order was forthcoming from Alden, after she checked with the boss/proprietor at ShoeMart.  I am a bit skeptical that there are pre-orders that have been open for the alleged 3+ years.  If there are, I would attribute such a situation to a retailer waiting to submit their order to Alden for production--perhaps because they have failed to meet minimum order requirements, or to create buzz/anticipation.  

I sincerely believe the rarity of Whiskey, Ravello, and Cigar, not to mention color #4 shell, to be overblown on this thread and in the general marketplace. When I have stopped by the Alden Shop in DC, they always have a selection of Whiskey and Cigar in a few different models.

Oh crap...you went and opened the wrong door now! You have no idea how long some of the members of this forum have been waiting for Pre-paid orders in rare colors! I can assure you there's a shortage of even color #8 models. No doubt many stores have a few models, but not much. I was at the DC store a few weeks ago and asked for them to bring me All shoes in cigar, whiskey, and Ravello in my size 13D. They had 1 pair which I bought. I would have bought 10 pairs that day if they had anything. But they had nothing else!

Thus week I've contacted every major Alden retailer asking for anything in rare colors and they have nothing. What's out there is scare!

See Ya,
Steve

PS...you find me some Alden size 13D or 13E in Whiskey, Ravello, or Cigar new or used in decent shape and I will pay you a 10% commission above retail or eBay asking price!

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. The current lack of color #4 is real. But I know it was available in the past before all of this pre-sale foolishness. However, that was back when a pair of shell shoes was around $330 or so.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I would respectfully suggest that the distinction between the past and the present is not to be minimized here.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, it seems some retailers took preorders for rare cordovan that they couldn't fill in a reasonable time frame. Other retailers have ordered, sold, reordered, and sold rare models since. If you want rare cordovan, it's best to check retailers like the Alden branded stores, The Shoe Mart, and Citishoes for various models. The rare shell supply seems to have dried up for retailers like Leather Soul, Leffot, Epaulet, etc. This is why Leffot has moved to various black and color 8 preorders (which they seem to fill on a consistent basis)

Edit - it also seems that "stock models" (PTB, LHS, LWB, NST, chukkas) get restocked the quickest.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
+1 to both. I have acquired a few recent J Crew suits that I've purchased fairly cheap, on sale in the last 6 months. The cut is definitely more modern and becoming compared to some traditionally cut BB suits. I'm wondering though, how well they will hold up in the long run. I suppose I will find out soon enough...

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Hrmmm? Anything like the offering by Leffot? Sounds like maybe a natty CXL version of their #8 perf. cap toe boot. Which is what the Leffot ones already reminded me of (though with flex sole).

Dr. D

Reaction score
Back in 2010 I dropped by Shoemart's store in CT intending to buy some cigar LHS but they were out of stock. The salesman put me on a waitlist for their next order, but he seemed very nonchalant and ambiguous about when they might arrive so I didn't think they were really interested in a potential sale and he was just going through the motions. I had totally forgotten about this until almost 2 years later when Shoemart called to let me know their cigar LHS had arrived and asked if I still wanted them. So this "shortage" of rare shells has been around for a while and the waits can be quite lengthy.

My theory is that Aldens have become so outrageously popular recently that they can barely keep up with fulfilling orders for color 8 and black in the standard shoe models. And since color 8 can mask imperfections in the hide they can produce more pairs quickly without having to worry about those black blotches that appear on whiskey and ravello shells. As evidenced many times in this thread, multiple color 8 dye jobs have been less than stellar so I think Alden may be pushed to their limits right now and they are riding this wave of business while they can.

In addition, I have read that only 3 ladies at Alden make all the handsewns (LHS and NST) so I figure that must have a great impact on the availability of those models. Especially when you consider how many color 8 and black unlined LHS they must make for Brooks Brothers alone.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seen some great looking shoes today on Whiskey Wednesday! Here's a shot of my Whiskey NST on Aberdeen..not Barrie! Figured while I was doing shots I would throw in a shot of tequila, really good tequila imported from Mexico. See Ya, Steve
Very nice whiskey Steve. Good day for nst.
1554602.jpg
whiskey nst cashmere otc
Your shell is glowing. Excellent combo.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

J Crew December catalog for December shows a handsome perf'd captoe boot in natty CXL

Funny. Look closely at the picture.
The punches/stitches are out of whack on the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads