• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Damn! Got tricked by the shoe mart. Got the dreaded email. "Inventory error, we showed your item in stock, but it isn't" Oh well! Maybe next seconds list...

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I am likely in the minority but the modified last does nothing for me. I find the toe box on the longwing to look very bulbous and the shape is reminiscent of a clown shoe to me
I think that there are many others with you in that camp.

Thanks, it is still quite humble compared to many on here. Not sure yet. I need to collect my thoughts on everything I have (including various pre-orders) and then make a determination as far as what I have and what I am actually wearing.
Not to single you out, ryden, as I have nothing but respect for you, but I have always considered this to be a symptom of getting carried away with hasty acquisitions. Not saying this to scold you, or even accuse you of being guilty of doing so, but rather to warn those who are headed down such a path. In the grand scheme of things, I haven't been following this thread or Alden shoes for that long, however, it's been long enough to have witnessed many folks buy a bunch of make-ups, only to sell them later for a loss after wearing them but a few times. This inefficient allocation of shoes has always troubled me. I would rather see people who will get lots of use out of a pair be satisfied with a purchase that was actually available to them, than to see people hastily buy everything that they can find in their size (and sometimes not in their size with the hope that they can make it work with tongue pads and insoles) just because it says "Alden" on the insole, and then sell them in the secondary after tainted them. Not saying that I'm against the secondary market, and certainly not directing this at ryden, even though I quoted his post. Reading it just prompted me to think of it. I realize not everyone may share this sentiment, so feel free to disagree.

Scotch grain shell on a Monday...
Hard to top this, however, not terribly surprising coming from you, Calikid; as I have known you to posses some highly desirable footwear.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ryden I definitely understand the sentiment, and I completely agree with you on certain models but on others I think they look very cool. And comfort wise they work very well for me, and seems to be the consensus for people like me with full forefoots and narrow heels.

I picked up a pair of black shell LWB off the seconds list a while back, and Im glad I was able to get them. And Ive got some natty CXL SWB from moulded that get quite a few compliments

I will say I tried on some straight tips in calf at moulded and lets just say I didnt get them, I also got the same feeling from the NST

V-tips however, look good to me particularly the shell version - I cant explain it, maybe its shell fever

I agree with Ryden about that WT shoe on the ML that was pictured. I've also seen Modified last shoes on Moulded Shoes's Tumblr site that look quite ugly to me. However, there are some boots on the Modified last that I think look great. I have a couple of ML boots (Nat CXL PT and Nat CXL Indys) that I think look great. I love the fit of the Modified last but I don't think I would buy shoes on that last. Although as NYDRH says, some shoes don't look as bulbous as others. I'm trying to see if the Plaza last will work for me as I really like the way it looks.

Calikid

Reaction score
Calikid, that's just mean.
I really like them.
Thank you, Somehow MrDV I knew you would like them!

I think that there are many others with you in that camp.

Not to single you out, ryden, as I have nothing but respect for you, but I have always considered this to be a symptom of getting carried away with hasty acquisitions. Not saying this to scold you, or even accuse you of being guilty of doing so, but rather to warn those who are headed down such a path. In the grand scheme of things, I haven't been following this thread or Alden shoes for that long, however, it's been long enough to have witnessed many folks buy a bunch of make-ups, only to sell them later for a loss after wearing them but a few times. This inefficient allocation of shoes has always troubled me. I would rather see people who will get lots of use out of a pair be satisfied with a purchase that was actually available to them, than to see people hastily buy everything that they can find in their size (and sometimes not in their size with the hope that they can make it work with tongue pads and insoles) just because it says "Alden" on the insole, and then sell them in the secondary after tainted them. Not saying that I'm against the secondary market, and certainly not directing this at ryden, even though I quoted his post. Reading it just prompted me to think of it. I realize not everyone may share this sentiment, so feel free to disagree.

Hard to top this, however, not terribly surprising coming from you, Calikid; as I have known you to posses some highly desirable footwear.
Thanks Bakes!

He has the market cornered on scotch grain shell
smile.gif
I have fallen hopelessly, helplessly in love with scotch grain shell

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Alden Ravello LWBs from Alden DC

Without further ado, I have finally received my new Longwing Blutchers from Alden of DC. I am very excited to receive them, unfortunately my wife has chosen to forget the three or four times that I informed her of their making through out the ordering and production process and so she is not happy that I have yet another pair of Aldens showing up at our house... For fun, I have decided to put some color comparisons against both Whiskey and "Old" Ravello. This should hopefully answer some of the questions of how the Ravello color may (or may not) be changing. With that said, I have concluded that Ravello is darker (almost to the point of being Cigar like under darker lighting) and lightens up well under more natural and outdoor lighting conditions, approaching a similar color to "Old" Ravello under full sunlight. Its an interesting phenomena.

Opening up the green box!

The first sighting of the Alden LWBs under darker conditions. They appear to be dark, but not quite Cigar. They have an unique red undertone to them.

A zoom in showing the sole of the right shoe and the medallion of the left.

And a head down shot under direct sunlight with the sun not reflecting directly off of the shoes at the camera (viewer).

Same head down shot, now sitting directly next to my pair of essentially brand new Whiskey LWB (Ravello Left, Whiskey Right).

The Ravello LWBs from the front, now it is starting to catch more sunlight and reflect more of the lighter colors. It actually is very reminiscent of the Marlows (which I believe are Horween's Cognac color) from this angle, maybe with a pidge of a red undertone mixed in.

Three-quarter angle shot of the shoe, showing off the nice long wing design and the color under direct sun reflection.

The front and back of the Ravello LWB.

Same photo with the Whiskey mixed in for comparison.

Now onto "Old" Ravello versus "New" Ravello. The NSTs are in the "Old" Ravello. They also have the medium antique edge and light stiching. which I believe helps to lighten the shoe's overall appearance.

Finally, a three-quarters shot of the LWB against the NST. I think here is where you can see that the shoes are actually not too far apart. I think with a little wear, they will lighten up a little bit.

So, I hope that helps to compare the issue of what the "New" Ravello looks like. Cheers and have a great evening!

-Mike

Last edited:

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike: thanks for the comparison. That's very helpful. I know that, once it arrives, I'll be comparing my Ravello to Cigar.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! I was about to comment on how much darker the Ravello is compared to whiskey. Seems like a dark batch of Ravello. First time I see it with these 2 eyes

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Alden Ravello LWB (Continued)

As per the requests, here are some more comparison photos against Whiskey and Cigar...

Three-quarters view with Whiskey on the right, Ravello on the left.

Three-quarters view with Ravello on the right, Whiskey on the left.

Three-quarters view with Ravello on the right, Cigar on the left.

Top down view with Ravello on the right, Cigar on the left.

Hope that this helps to compare Ravello and Cigar....

-Mike

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This batch of Ravello looks a lot like AE walnut shell. It will be interesting to do a comparison against it as well as against my Ravello Chukkas once they arrive this week

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
E walnut is significant lighter, no? Nice score mdubs. And thanks for the Appreciation :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads