Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

lol, maybe I'll try and line them up. toss in my day trippers that are liiiiiight compared to your LWB

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

2. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

Hi I tried on my first pair of Aldens that had the crepe sole on them. They were very comfortable and is probably something I would consider however when walking on the hardwood floors I noticed a clicking/popping sound. I did some research and it seems to point to an issue with the shank?. They were a friends shoes. not much wear. I tried to isolate the noise by stepping down on a step and it seemed to make a noise. My friend said it was just the sound of the leather tip on the crepe sole. Do the leather tips really make this noise with every step? will it eventually go away? I'd really like a pair with the crepe sole but couldn't live with the clicking sound. Can the tip be removed without harming the integrity of the sole?

thanks for any thought or experience you can share.

thx

DuckOB

3. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

They didn't last long

4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

DuckOB,

It was explained to me that the leather front tip on the Alden Crepe Soles is actually a feature unique-ish to Alden. The point of the front leather tip is to avoid the front tip from being as "grippy" or "tacky" as the remainder of the sole and is intended to prevent unwanted tripping due to excessive grip in the front.

I would guess that a after market cobbler, such as B Nelson, could easily replace the sole for you, but I do not believe that Alden will provide you an entirely Crepe Sole. I avoid the Crepe Sole at all costs, so I can not attest to clanking, creaking, or popping sounds. They are supposed to be incredibly comfortable though.

-Mike

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

mdubs, congratulations on your acquisition of the "King of the Gunboats". Great unboxing pics. Wear them in the best of health my friend.

6. wildstar

wildstar Senior member

Bummer man, sorry to hear that, I know you've been looking, seemed like a good deal.

7. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Yea. Maybe next time. Maybe it's cause I'm supposed to be buying more shell...

8. matt92037

matt92037 Well-Known Member

I get really excited when I buy an Alden shoe on a last I have never tried on and it ends up fitting really, really well. Though not Ravello from Alden DC, these #8's from Alden Madison will get the job done.

September may turn out to be a good shoe month if Leffot receives the pre-order for the Brown CXL plain toe boot.

[​IMG]

9. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

Thanks mdubs for the quick reply and some additional details as to the purpose of the leather tip. Excessive grip must mean falling flat on your face. Wearing straight crepe and texting could lead to some "funniest video" opportunities. Interested to hear if others have experienced the clicking noise. I was concerned it was a defective shank issue which a cobbler couldn't repair.

thanks again
    Duck OB (Mike)

10. mdubs

Those are some awesome Shortwing Balmorals. I am deeply considering dropping my Color 8 AE Cambridges in favor of the Alden... -Mike

11. sazon

sazon Senior member

Came home to Color 8 Captoe boots on the Plaza from J. Gilbert. My 2nd pair in 3 months with the lucky Horween stamp. I heard if you get 3 in six months you get a free pair of Ravello LWBs.

[​IMG]

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Nice! Lets see a few more pics of the boot

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Very cool. My tongues are green...

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

anyone familiar with which Alden store tends to get cigar in? talked with Kathy today and she said cigar LWB aren't in the pipeline for her..

15. mdubs

I would try Alden SF, The Shoe Mart, or Frans Boone... SF doesnt seem to want to confirm anything for rare colors right now though... DC focuses on the Ravello for their rare LWB make ups right now...

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.