• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEE88

Reaction score

Haven't been visiting this thread like I did a year or so ago. Back then I was in bad shape....24 pair of Alden shell and four more on order. Now down to a reasonable dozen or so and these remain my favorite.

...So there's a light at the end of the tunnel?

REguy

Reaction score

hypomnema

Reaction score

A question for Unlined shell PTB owners , how do they feel compared to your other Barrie shoes, snugger, looser?.

Thanks,

I wear a 7.5E in most Barrie shoes, but 8D feels much better in the unlined ptb. I have a 7.5E in the unlined ptb and they're definitely snug, whereas my longwings and boots in the same size are fine.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here they are! Ordered some of the wax paste to throw on before I wear them out.

I'm gonna order my next pair shortly.
smile.gif

Will do, on both counts!

9015 is a great model. So simple, yet so attractive.

You don't NEED to wax them before you wear them, but some choose to do so. (The idea is for protection. Others try to avoid having to use wax at all costs so as to not hide the natural beauty of shell) Your decision.

What is next on your list? 9016?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to take Pics, but I wore my Cigar Tassels with a solid navy suit today to visit the department I worked in at my old job. (You guys have seen plenty pics of my Cigar Tassels this summer anyway.)

I received MANY compliments, no exaggeration. I was originally planning to wear my Cigar Strait Tips with with dark edge from Citi Shoes instead, but they haven't been properly broken-in yet, and I strictly adhere to the Mac Method.

I also had plans to visit Nettletons in Market Square, but as ShawnC can confirm, we had some afternoon showers and I didn't want to get my shoes wet. Scott is a great guy, and I'd love to give him some business, but haven't had the opportunity. I wanted to check out the Carmina make-ups he called me about around Christmas.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also had plans to visit Nettletons in Market Square, but as ShawnC can confirm, we had some afternoon showers and I didn't want to get my shoes wet.  Scott is a great guy, and I'd love to give him some business, but haven't had the opportunity.  I wanted to check out the Carmina make-ups he called me about around Christmas.

Consider it confirmed, from one Pgh'er to another. I had actually stopped by Nettleton's yesterday with the hopes of committing to a new pair of Alden's. I got a sense that Scott is feeling a little frustration with Alden and their shell shortage. He seemed much more enthusiastic when discussing the Carmina line.

Hey Bakes11771, any chance you work at HM?

Last edited:

green garden

Reaction score
Another question for the community. As more and more sellers are moving Alden's on ebay, I'm finding more who don't have even the most basic understanding of the shoe. And I say this with full knowledge of how little I know when compared to most in this community. But the last two pair I have inquired about the seller had no knowledge of what a last is. Not what last their shoes were made on, but no knowledge of what a last is.

So what I do is get the numbers from the inside of the shoe and email Alden. My question to the community is whether there is a reference bank or website where I can load this information and find out for myself. I thought that I read that AE had this material available and I was wondering if Alden had similar information available.

As always, thanks in advance for any help.
I have emailed Alden directly to ask the last of a specific model # and they have responded in a timely manner. I used the email in their official site. I have done this twice and both times they responded within 1 day.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have emailed Alden directly to ask the last of a specific model # and they have responded in a timely manner.  I used the email in their official site.  I have done this twice and both times they responded within 1 day.

Agreed, they've always responded in a timely manner. I was just trying to avoid that step.

Dugan

Reaction score

9015 is a great model.  So simple, yet so attractive.

You don't NEED to wax them before you wear them, but some choose to do so.  (The idea is for protection.  Others try to avoid having to use wax at all costs so as to not hide the natural beauty of shell)  Your decision.

What is next on your list? 9016?

I really like the idea of shell chukka boots (cigar or #8) but not sure if I'm ready to embrace the roll so completely yet. If I could get the RL Marlow wingtips in EEE it would be those ( not Alden's though. :) )

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads