• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden Brethren - I've discovered a great secret of the Mac Method that I felt impressed to share today.

I've been struggling with water spots on my Cigar LWBs, and so after a few separate brush sessions, I decided to take a new approach to getting rid of these little things. Followed the method as best as I understand it:

Brush down with a slightly damp cloth.
Particularly rubbed the spots with a little extra "umph" with the damp cloth - not quite a scrub, but more forcefully than the rest of the shoe.
Let dry 2-3 minutes.
Lacking a deer bone, took a teaspoon and rubbed and rolled all over the spotted areas (mainly on the vamp), both pressing down with the spot, as well as rolling over them back and forth. I also used a swirling method to rub them from different angles. (I noticed that this closed up a particularly nasty scratch that I'd gotten on one of the shoes).
Let that sit for 1-2 minutes.
Applied a dose of Renovateur over each shoe separately, allowing the other shoe to set while I did the other.

- This is all normal and expected.

Here, at the brushing time, I did things a bit differently than in the past. Taking my horsehair brush to brush the Reno down in, I started using very heavy strokes of the brush to no avail - the shell still looked a little muddy and clouded. I lightened up the brush strokes (increasing speed/frequency and only allowing the very tip of the bristles to skim the shell) and it began to light up immediately and shine. I noticed the more I relied on friction generated by the brush on the shoe, the better and better it looked, and the more the Reno cleaned up. This is in stark contrast to heavy-handing the brushing, as I'd done previously, almost slathering the brush across the cordovan.

High, light, and fast - at times almost barely making contact. Each shoe for 3-5 minutes and they were sparkling.

So, if any are having issues with their method application, brush high and fast, and don't worry about applying actual pressure during brushing. Let the friction work for you rather than strength.

Super shine. I really like the way the color variations come out in the shoes.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone stock #8 LWB without a dark sole? sadly I did not get in on the leffot preorder

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. So I assume after a while the tongue pad will need to be replaced. How do you plan to remove it?

I guess I was also wondering if it is an indication that you have the wrong size if a tongue pad improves fit. I assume you would say no.

Unless you go bespoke, no shoe will fit perfectly. My feet are wide in the forefoot, with a low instep and smaller heel. The trubalance and modified are good for me, but not perfect. To get the barrie to feel "right," I modify the shoe just a tad.

For foot health, I do recommend going "barefoot" as much as possible (I do yoga and lift weights barefoot/with Vibram FiveFingers). Aldens - and any shoes, really - are for protection and aesthetics more than comfort, unfortunately. Many makers, including Alden, have great lasts and "foot technologies," but a foot should have strong and flexible muscles to alleviate or avoid pain/problems.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks, CTYGGG messaged me with this same option... an expensive one at $800+ to ship to the states, need to decide how bad I really want them..

may have to try and sneak in on the leffot order when it arrives.

thanks!

If you look closely, the welt on the bureau shoes is dark stained. A few pages back there was a fantastic example of a diy where the owner sanded the edgetrim down to be natural/antiqued from dark. In this case, you can get a stock #8 LWB and do the same, and save $175 (well, that minus your labor). If the reverse welt was natural, it'd be a different story, though, as de-staining/sanding the reverse welt would be insanely tedious and not worth it imo.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, CTYGGG messaged me with this same option... an expensive one at $800+ to ship to the states, need to decide how bad I really want them..

may have to try and sneak in on the leffot order when it arrives.

thanks!
Its got a dark welt anyway, so why not just buy the stock model and sand the edges?

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its got a dark welt anyway, so why not just buy the stock model and sand the edges?
I'm not too particular about it honestly, just not a fan of the dark sole itself.
this right here fits the bill, so I may just do as mentioned and buy and sand. B.Nelson would get the nod for some taps, so may try and tie it in somehow

borderline

Reaction score
Looking for a source for laces that come with the suede Aldens. Need sand suede and snuff suede colored laces, cotton (not waxed), and for PTB, not boots.

Thanks!

poena

Reaction score
Where can I find tan suede barrie lasted bluchers? plain toe.

what model is it?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I find tan suede barrie lasted bluchers? plain toe.

what model is it?
Not sure if Tan and Sand are synonymous, but if they are Alden Madison. If my memory serves me correctly, J. Crew also, not sure if they still have it, I don't shop with them.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]TAN SUEDE[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]BARRIE LAST[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]SINGLE FLEXIBLE LEATHER SOLE[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]STYLE # 29332F[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, 'Arial Narrow']Edit: Speaking of J Crew, check out the sweater in my signature. Would go great with any pair of Aldens! (esp. sand/tan barrie lasted bluchers)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, 'Arial Narrow']Edit again: Oh... you asked for "Tan" not "Sand", well there you go.[/FONT]

Last edited:

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for a source for laces that come with the suede Aldens. Need sand suede and snuff suede colored laces, cotton (not waxed), and for PTB, not boots.

Thanks!

Call Alden (508-923-1680). Tell them that you need new laces for your shoes. They'll ask what kind and they will ship them to you for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads