• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenewbie

Reaction score
Here's a sizing question for the forum: I wear an 8d in indy boots, so I assumed that I would also wear an 8d on the barrie last. I just received a pair of LWB and they feel really tight and constraining against my heal and the widest part of my foot. Anyone else need different sizes on the trubalance and barrie lasts? I'm nervous to send them back only to get something a half size up and slightly too big.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are outstanding.  They look dark enough to be cigar.  I have the same ones (ravello) from DC.  The antique edge on my Cigar LWB is really what most distinguishes the Cigar from my Ravello LWB from DC; my favorite LWB... :inlove:

Same. I have a cigar LWB with antique edging and a ravello LWB with dark edging. They contrast with each other nicely.

alex4nder

Reaction score

fairly new to the forum. natty indy, today.
One good turn deserves another:
Alden x Epaulet Natural CXL Handstitched Indy on leather commando. Donegal tweed boot socks. I really like how this leather is aging. When it was new it looked ashy, but it's developing into a nice honey-brown.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking fantastic there. Beautiful shade of Ravello. Enjoy wearing!!
that Ravello LWB looks friggin' perfect, barrie last?
Yes, Barrie Last
Are those the Ravello LWB's? They look outstanding! Count yourself as one lucky man. Did you specifically request the antique heel and welt treatment?
Indeed, Ravello LWB's. This was the makeup they had in my size so it worked out. Double waterlock soles as well
Thank you sir
Most welcome
Those are outstanding. They look dark enough to be cigar. I have the same ones (ravello) from DC. The antique edge on my Cigar LWB is really what most distinguishes the Cigar from my Ravello LWB from DC; my favorite LWB...
inlove.gif
I'm psyched at the shade, thanks

Don L - As others have said, that is a spectacular shade. Wow. Lucky man !
Thank you!

Happen to be wearing my Whiskey LWB's today so here is a good Whiskey/Ravello comparison shot

Last edited:

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

One good turn deserves another:

Alden x Epaulet Natural CXL Handstitched Indy on leather commando. Donegal tweed boot socks.

I really like how this leather is aging. When it was new it looked ashy, but it's developing into a nice honey-brown.
\

faaaaacccckkk. i'm still kicking myself for missing this one.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alden still does a lot of shoes for the orthopedic market and I see a lot of those shoes making it to the seconds list. Odd looking to some of us, but comfort comes first and they are undoubtedly better than Rockports or some sneakers sold at a chiropractic office. Additionally I see a lot of the Japanese military last, indicating the breadth of that market. Japanese business in general are more open to experimentation, often preferring to make small experimental runs of products rather than spending years doing research before flooding the market with massive numbers, and I think that can be observed even in small fashion boutiques. Some Japanese Alden makeups may seem odd to us, but their Tricker's makeups are even wilder! I enjoy the Japanese attention to detail when it comes to shoes, workwear, and military wear, so even if I wouldn't wear a particular item I find it fascinating to listen to the reasoning and process behind producing it. My favorite Aldens are a pair of military influenced boots for Japanese retailer Beams that I snagged off the seconds list.
what last is this?
AKA the 379X last. Example http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/product/1875/alden-snuff-suede-blucher-boot

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Would you guys consider any of this creasing excessive? I am more concerned about the areas not the eyelets than I am towards the heel as the leather actually feels thin there in comparison to the other foot.

nephew,

i would not be concern, enjoy and wear in good health

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is there anything I can do to repair this scratch on my aldens (burgundy cordovan)? I cleaned it with Renovateur and it didn't help much.

my recommendation is to brush vigorously for five minutes

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Great whiskey wingtip Repp ! looks like a night for whiskey. I'm beginning to become addicted. I started off with just the Cigar Indy boot last month, and now have the Whiskey LWB (they came in today from Alden SF) Also just bought two black shells seconds from shoemart tonight (praying they turn out ok). I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for all the great posts, and all the great info. I've been chasing the Daytrippers, or any Ravello Captoe Boot. So any leads would be huge. Does anyone know if Alden does the Wingtip Bal in Natural CXL or has a plain toe loafer in Natural CXL? I'm really digging the Natural CXL that has been posted. Anyways, its almost 3 am and I'm looking at Aldens online........
facepalm.gif
welcome to the forum wear in good health use the break in method

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

#8 PTB, on this 8th day of, uhhh, 8th anniversary of uhhhh, well I can't think of anything so its just Tuesday #8 day for me

nephew,

+1 for ptb with argyles

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agree with all of the above.  I think they will inevitably snag buyers that are loyal to the brand, who will unwittingly buy these not realizing that they could get a better value from Alden (or another brand like AE for that matter).  I would be hesitant on these for a few reasons beyond their price.  The don't look substantially different to make them a valuable asset over a comparable PTB from Alden or AE.  I also have to assume that these are not made in USA, since they generally proudly stamp the ones that are as such.  They also leave some mystery as to the "guts" of the shoe, and its construction.  It looks goodyear-welted, but again, their made in USA shoes typically say "genuine goodear-welt" on the insole, which again, these do not.  Even the ones that are made in USA and are goodyear-welted seem to use a paperboard insole underneath a leather wrapped foam cushion sock liner, which is substantially inferior in quality to a natural leather insole.  In my experience, manufacterers are usually quick to boast about a shoe being goodyear-welted, so if it doesn't say so, there may be some funny business going on. 

Anyway, that was just a last thought, since this is the Alden thread and I don't want to attract the Gestapo for talking about other brands.
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

nephew,

i personally think it is helpful and health to talk about other makers of quality calf and shell shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads