***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Agreed. Alden of DC also does a great job.

2. iAmSofaKing

iAmSofaKing Well-Known Member

Probably asked a million times but what is the main difference between the Indy 403 and 405?

I am looking in purchasing boots this winter and having a hard time distinguishing the difference between the two. And how to size.

Also to anyone who owns these boots would you recommend black or brown?

3. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Anyone's shell plain toe bluchers fit differently than their shell longwing bluchers? My plain toes on barrie feel significantly tighter in the vamp and toe box (but heel fits the same) than my longwings on barrie, even in the same color shell and in the same shipment received by the retailer from Alden. Just wondering if this is common or a fluke as I'm about to order another shell plain toe and would like to know if I should half-size up.

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

You are going to have to call them or go to one of their stores. They have this sale every year around Christmas, along with their trunk shows that are happening this Thurs, Fri, and Saturday at each of their locations (one location each day). I shop there frequently so I got a postcard in the mail telling me about it.

15% off is pretty good, not to mention that their shoes in store are about 10% cheaper than their prices online all the time. A little bonus for living where I do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  6. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Cross-posting from Epaulet thread.

Natural Indy's maiden journey. These are my first pair of quality boots, and they are kick-ass (who am I trying to impress though, lol). I'm a comfortable 9D in Barrie, and these are perfect in the same size with some heavier socks. They turned out to behave not so well on slippery hard snow, but very well everywhere else I've been today.

[​IMG]

With indoor lighting:

[​IMG]

7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I've had the exact opposite experience with crepe on wet concrete or wet tile. I have found that Aldens on the crepe sole have a lot of traction on wet surfaces. Much more than my Tricker's on Danite soles and right up there with my comando soled shoes and boots. I have some Ducky Brown Florsheim bucks on crepe sole and while they are comfortable, they are a bit slicker than my Aldens. The crepe that Alden uses seems stickier.

8. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

AGREED!

9. Chaos_Cow

Chaos_Cow Well-Known Member

Yeah this is the crux of it. Honestly though? I kind of feel like I've gotten away with something when I go to an Alden store I've never gone to before and may never again and snag an incredibly in-demand pair of shoes. Doesn't really make much sense that I'm able to do that, but I'm pretty happy I got away with it until now.

Like I definitely feel a slight sense of obligation towards CitiShoes, Alden of Madison, and ShoeMart for getting me my whiskey, ravello, and cigar shoes so if I ever do purchase, say, an unlined chukka or patent leather bals, I'm going to do it through one of them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I'm a measured 11D with a slightly high volume/high instep foot. I size down by 1/2 in Barrie shoes but when I bight the J Crew shell cap toe boots I had to go TTS. The 1/2 size down was too snug.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

FWIW, I have had excellent customer service from Alden SF. Call and ask for manager Jim if you have any issues. Jim is great. I have purchased 10 pairs from them (9 shell, 1 calf) and numerous trees, etc.

Also, if the email address you are using is [email protected] you are receiving replies from Alden's home base in Mass. Use [email protected] for the actual Alden SF shop.

Alden SF is one of the first retailers I go to.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Good call. :nodding:

The folks at Sherman Bros. are nice.

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Agree with this. I've had very pleasant shopping experiences with Sherman Brothers. It's a good source for Alden staples.

14. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

There is no sales tax on clothing here in PA. That's a discount right there!

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.