• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iAmSofaKing

Reaction score
Probably asked a million times but what is the main difference between the Indy 403 and 405?

I am looking in purchasing boots this winter and having a hard time distinguishing the difference between the two. And how to size.

Also to anyone who owns these boots would you recommend black or brown?

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
Anyone's shell plain toe bluchers fit differently than their shell longwing bluchers? My plain toes on barrie feel significantly tighter in the vamp and toe box (but heel fits the same) than my longwings on barrie, even in the same color shell and in the same shipment received by the retailer from Alden. Just wondering if this is common or a fluke as I'm about to order another shell plain toe and would like to know if I should half-size up.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question:  Do you feel that having a Black Shell shoe or boot is necessary if one has #8 in the stable?

Yes.

Last edited:

Al in Philly

Reaction score
How did you get that price? Website showing $651 before discount. For those who have done so, did you just call and ask for the discount?
You are going to have to call them or go to one of their stores. They have this sale every year around Christmas, along with their trunk shows that are happening this Thurs, Fri, and Saturday at each of their locations (one location each day). I shop there frequently so I got a postcard in the mail telling me about it.

15% off is pretty good, not to mention that their shoes in store are about 10% cheaper than their prices online all the time. A little bonus for living where I do.
mwink[1].gif

Last edited:

neutrino

Reaction score
Cross-posting from Epaulet thread.

Natural Indy's maiden journey. These are my first pair of quality boots, and they are kick-ass (who am I trying to impress though, lol). I'm a comfortable 9D in Barrie, and these are perfect in the same size with some heavier socks. They turned out to behave not so well on slippery hard snow, but very well everywhere else I've been today.

With indoor lighting:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

can anyone who owns crepe speak to how it fares on snow/ice?

Crepe is death slippery on wet smooth concrete. Worse than leather soles.
It doesn't seem any worse than leather on snow though.

I've had the exact opposite experience with crepe on wet concrete or wet tile. I have found that Aldens on the crepe sole have a lot of traction on wet surfaces. Much more than my Tricker's on Danite soles and right up there with my comando soled shoes and boots. I have some Ducky Brown Florsheim bucks on crepe sole and while they are comfortable, they are a bit slicker than my Aldens. The crepe that Alden uses seems stickier.

Chaos_Cow

Reaction score

It must be nice to sell a product that will sell out regardless of how you treat your customers. Would I shop there again? Sure, if they had something I really wanted... but if it came down to purchasing from somewhere else over them, I wouldn't even have to think twice about purchasing somewhere else. I just hope there is nothing wrong with them, I loathe to imagine engaging in any customer service issue with them. /end rant

Yeah this is the crux of it. Honestly though? I kind of feel like I've gotten away with something when I go to an Alden store I've never gone to before and may never again and snag an incredibly in-demand pair of shoes. Doesn't really make much sense that I'm able to do that, but I'm pretty happy I got away with it until now.

Like I definitely feel a slight sense of obligation towards CitiShoes, Alden of Madison, and ShoeMart for getting me my whiskey, ravello, and cigar shoes so if I ever do purchase, say, an unlined chukka or patent leather bals, I'm going to do it through one of them.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone's shell plain toe bluchers fit differently than their shell longwing bluchers? My plain toes on barrie feel significantly tighter in the vamp and toe box (but heel fits the same) than my longwings on barrie, even in the same color shell and in the same shipment received by the retailer from Alden. Just wondering if this is common or a fluke as I'm about to order another shell plain toe and would like to know if I should half-size up. 

I'm a measured 11D with a slightly high volume/high instep foot. I size down by 1/2 in Barrie shoes but when I bight the J Crew shell cap toe boots I had to go TTS. The 1/2 size down was too snug.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

maybe i'm being a needy customer but i'm a bit irked at the lack of service from Alden of SF. I ordered the Ravello LWB on Saturday evening. After somebody suggesting they came with dark trim, I e-mailed them to ask about the trim. I asked if they could send a picture. The response I got was "It's antique trim. I can't send a picture." Okay? You don't have a smartphone? Whatever, fine. I thanked them for verifying and told them no picture was necessary. I informed them I would be leaving for Sweden in 10 days and wanted to know when I could expect them to ship. The response was: "You'll receive a confirmation sometime later today." Later today I received an e-mail from "UPS Quantum View," the automated UPS shipping notification. No e-mail from Alden of SF. No "Thank you for your order." No "Don't worry, we'll take care of it." It must be nice to sell a product that will sell out regardless of how you treat your customers. Would I shop there again? Sure, if they had something I really wanted... but if it came down to purchasing from somewhere else over them, I wouldn't even have to think twice about purchasing somewhere else. I just hope there is nothing wrong with them, I loathe to imagine engaging in any customer service issue with them. /end rant

FWIW, I have had excellent customer service from Alden SF. Call and ask for manager Jim if you have any issues. Jim is great. I have purchased 10 pairs from them (9 shell, 1 calf) and numerous trees, etc.

Also, if the email address you are using is [email protected] you are receiving replies from Alden's home base in Mass. Use [email protected] for the actual Alden SF shop.

Alden SF is one of the first retailers I go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads