***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^And this is grained shell on the Modified last in an exotic color? That's quite a unicorn. And not bad looking at all.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

My PTBs definitely feel a little more snug than my LWB, but not enough to go true to size.

3. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  4. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

Regarding Alden SF, I'll just chime in to say that they did not respond to my emails or phone calls regarding the Cigar Indys until three days after they all sold out telling me "we do not have the Indy in Cigar, you should contact the retail store you saw them in."

[​IMG]

5. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

The Haverford location of Sherman Bros is having an Alden trunk show this Saturday. I will be there early if anyone wants to stop by and say hello. They may have some rare Alden items as well.

6. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

I call the brothers and the sale is on until Saturday. I wonder if the discount would apply to the Trunk Items as well as any Special Orders

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

If possible, please report back about any rare models. I'm not in the market for any, just curious more than anything.

8. Al in Philly

I would assume it applies to everything Alden. Those guys are really good like that.

9. Al in Philly

I certainly will.

10. Al in Philly

I just talked to Ken Sherman at the Haverford store. He said there will be only pretty standard stuff. He specifically said there will be no special make-ups. I will still be there to report, but as it seems, it will be better for those that are looking for the basics and not anything rare.

11. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

FML, my soul for a pair of those. :confused:

Gone are the glory days of the special order/ special make-ups that don't take 24 months...

...i wonder if the Alden 'trend' will slow and they'll go back to that. Or has the internet changed the way Alden operates forever. :puzzled:

12. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Nothing is forever. They just have the market by the short and curlies right now. Someone will match the quality and price and things will slow down. All you need is to find a skilled worker, buy some reducing, cutting, and sewing machines from a business going out (so many in American right now) and hit the vendors with fresh ideas or copies for less.

13. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

There certainly does seen to be an opportunity for a new American shoemaker to enter this segment of the market. I would like to see Rancourt make a move to compete with Alden in welted shoes.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  14. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Thanks guys.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

It's tough...

1) Men's luxury footwear (this is Alden's segment, with shoe prices now at $500 for calfskin) continues to increase in price no matter what brand due to the blog/GQ effect.

2) Limited raw materials. Horse hides are in short supply, and even the new brands all seem to use one supplier (Horween) for calf. It's a lot easier to start a new shoe brand than to start a new leather tannery.

3) All these brands are very niche. Demand outstrips supply, especially with global markets. As long as Swedish and German tourists stop by stores like Leffot on a 24 hour layover in NYC and buy two or three pairs of Alden shoes on a whim (I've observed this), prices will continue to rise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.