1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Not even Alden itself can provide shoes that look unworn and pristine. Those shoes look fine to me. Nothing that some Mac Method and a bit of black paste wax / cordovan cream can't fix.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Thank you my friend!

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

brass

4. ReppTiePrepster

5. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

[​IMG]

Alden Tan Calfskin WTB with commando sole - J. Gilbert.

I promised RTP I'd post a recent photo of these … 8 months new. Worn 1 to 2 times a week.

6. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Excellent choice! This is a great all-weather travel shoe as well!

7. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

You're a bit over the top on all 3 "issues"

8. ReppTiePrepster

9. ReppTiePrepster

Great looking boot... thanks my friend!

10. ReppTiePrepster

My Alden suede PTB from J Crew came in the same tan J Crew box. For about $440, you got an excellent pair of shells with very minor scuffs or signs of trying on. If you want perfection, order pairs from Adam and A of C. If you want the flexibility of the J Crew return policy, I'd say you should accept this product as is especially if there is nothing wrong with it that some minor Mac love wouldn't "fix." I do understand where you are coming from, and J Crew will certainly honor the return. I'd be careful with asking for an exchange for another pair in the same size... that karma may produce something worse [​IMG] Good luck my friend!

11. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I'm feeling a little irritated. I've been tracking my Indy boot order and it was supposed to be delivered today, sadly, no boots. The post office sucks

12. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

I prefer the short wings over long wings as well... I also much prefer balmorals over butchers.

13. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

I would not feel bad about asking for a discount, they do have the option of saying no. If they do promise it, then they should follow through on it. I thought that they looked reasonable, but that is just me. My brand new RL Marlows have several small scratches on them. Bummer about the box, but I don't think that the used shoe buyer is going to care a ton if its a J Crew box vice an Alden box. I personally care more about the shape of the shoes than if it has the box. Cheers, Mike

14. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Mr. DV, those are absolutely gorgeous! What sole do they have? I have been long appreciating the Indy and have been considering the Cigar ones that TSM has listed, but I think you just shifted my focus to this Ravello Plaza Indy. I might have to try and get on someone's list for these. What do people think about speed hooks, I have like the concept of their convenience, but heard that they can break!

15. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Very nice! This thread, particularly Uncle Mac, is making me consider some argyles as well...

16. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

As others have inferred, this has not been my experience at all. I've received much worse from retailers that are much more closely affiliated with Alden than J Crew.

Too bad about the box, I sort of have a nice collection going so understand your disappointment, but you should ask yourself if you were buying a pair of shoes or a green box in the first place. Any Aldens you buy from BB won't come with the green box either, but that doesn't stop me from buying them.

I am always very respectful when trying on shoes that I have not yet made my own so that I don't defile a pair of $700 shoes for the next guy. Unfortunately, not everyone is so considerate.

17. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Beautiful pair of WT boots. In great shape!

18. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Marcoliani merino wool over-the-calf argyle socks are the bomb schizznittyist. You can always go cashmere and silk if you got it like that.

19. meso

meso Senior member

So glad I don't work in retail.

20. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Ive never had one break(tear out) but they are sketchy IMO .All in all given a choice I take eyelets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.