1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

The ravello plaza indy is going to be a tuff boot to get. It has only been offered by one retailer (in netherlands) and i believe they are out of stock. If they have a reorder planned I'd guess delivery is a year(s) out.

Another US retailer told me they had a 2-4 year wait for a restock of ravello plain toe blucher.
    It could all be hype, who knows.

2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Has any retailer ever made a CXL Indy with all eyelets instead of speedhooks?

3. Gcbrown3

Gcbrown3 Well-Known Member

How do you set up your style forum account so that your "for sale" items are listed below your posts?

4. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

I picked up these color 8 SWB's from Alden of Carmel. I was hung up on the commando soles for a very long time, but finally broke down and pulled the trigger. Wish I had done so sooner! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I like that they do not have the storm welt. It looks sleeker and more dressy than the LWB. Even with commando soles (difficult to notice them w/o looking for them) I can pair these with dressier options.

I really like these and debated a lot before I purchased the 974. The Commando sole would have been better for my purposes, but can't say I'm unhappy with the Tremont. Enjoy them! I may break down in the Fall and get those too! FWIT, I prefer short wings over the long wing...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I also like your taste in d├ęcor.

7. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Thanks to all who responded with kind and grounding feedback to my panic post earlier today regarding the cadet bluchers bought from Jcrew on discount. After a couple deep breaths and a couple hours at my son's school picnic, perspective has been restored. I agree that I don't need another green box sitting, empty, somewhere in my basement. Chances of me attempting to sell the cadets are slim to none given that I've had an ebay account since 1999 and have never attempted to sell anything. The scratches, I now realize, would likely have appeared after one or two wearings even if I had bought Adam's untouched quality AofC shoes (and certainly would have appeared the moment my dear son decides to use me as a human jungle gym). I think, after recently negotiating for and closing on my new home, I've gotten a bit too caught up in concepts of resale value. If 5 figure amounts are the increments of real estare negotiating, Jcrew's packaging should clearly have been the least of worries.

Lest I gave the wrong impression about being a jerk to customer service and retail folks, let me say that--as a former tennis pro working for very entitled individuals in country club settings--I will continue to be cordial and gracious to the folks from whom I buy my goods. Sorry for the freak out; let's all enjoy the weekend--in our comfiest Aldens and in great health!

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, i like your saddles

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, looking good in your wt

10. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

click on your username at the top right of this page to go to your 'profile'.
    scroll down to forum signature section.
    edit signature. select the items.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  11. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Uncle, thank you!

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    good looking ptb

13. hypomnema

hypomnema Senior member

[​IMG]
    Maiden voyage

1 person likes this.
  14. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

Does the Jcrew ravello LWB have brass eyelets like last time?

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

The box is less of an issue to me than the shoe bags. I use them for travel and storage to keep dust off. We own a 200 yr old home where it seems impossible to keep dust off of anything. I've read about many folks here who were successful in having jcrew ship out the OEM green box & bags after receiving the generic box & no bags in the mail. It's been a while since someone shared that so perhaps j crew has changed their policy. However, it may be as simple as trying to get a different customer service rep on the phone in hopes of a different outcome. It certainly can't hurt to try sending an email or calling back at a later date.

I'm with you on the try-on markings. It would bother me at first but I'd get over it quickly after wearing once. Congrats on the new acquisition.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  16. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Alden J crew Cadet Shell for my sons Highschool graduation

[​IMG]

17. haiglarsen

haiglarsen Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Alden's sizing differs at all between which retailers they make shoes for? I'm sort of new to Alden, but so far I've heeded the advice to go half size down on the Barrie lasts and have received different fits from 3 different pairs ordered from 3 different retailers all of which are size 10. I remember reading on the forums before that Alden for Brooks Brothers, at least one particular shoe in Barrie last, ran TTS.

18. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

There shouldn't be a big difference between retailers if the shoe is the same last. What you may be describing is a difference in fit between two Barrie models (for example, many report Barrie boots for snugger than Barrie longwings)

19. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Thanks Patrick. I just wanted the best shot at making my first black shells look mirror-ish--like so many of yours we've marveled at!

Congrats on your son's HS grafuation! You make me wish it wasn't a rainy day here so I could take my cadets out for their maiden voyage. I might have to wait for my kindergarten we to graduate next month ;)

20. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

2nd this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.