• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obscura/Tassels Cap Toes Today

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Style and boot/shoe differences aside, the most practical shell colors (from my experiece and observations on this thread):
#8 tends to be first shell color
Cigar after 1+
Ravello after 3+
Black after 5-6+
Whiskey 8-10+

I have no objection here.

But it's worth pointing out that if a person buys Aldens for professional business dress (which does not seem to be the case for many on this thread) or for professional business dress and for casual wear (such as myself), black moves up the list.

I would comfortably put the order of priority as:

color 8
black
cigar
ravello
whiskey

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

One of the Alden Madison guys has suggested using mid-tan Kiwi paste wax on lighter pairs of whiskey. They normally use mid-tan on ravello. It can give it a darker, more burnished look over time. I haven't tried this myself.

nephew,
i would use kiwi tan on whiskey and i would use kiwi brown on ravello

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm in the process of breaking in a new pair of shell longwings on carpet and noticed something on the upper, near the welt, where my foot flexes. It looks like part of the shell has come off. No idea if this is the shell itself or some kind of layer that was put over the shell but that area is now dull and no longer has the shell luster that the rest of the shoe has. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, is it cause for concern? Did the problem area get larger as the shoe was worn? Like I said, this happened about an hour into breaking them in so I'm concerned it will spread given its location and the amount of brushing after each wear.

that does concern me; accordingly, i would return

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would place Ravello after color 8; I prefer leather for my dark browns and black shoes.

I have no objection here.
But it's worth pointing out that if a person buys Aldens for professional business dress (which does not seem to be the case for many on this thread) or for professional business dress and for casual wear (such as myself), black moves up the list.
I would comfortably put the order of priority as:
color 8
black
cigar
ravello
whiskey

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For my very first post......
I call bullshit on the shoemart.
They have the cigars.

I know right??

I was so pissed off that I called The Shoe Mart to complain about the Cigar LHS after my order was cancelled and I DEMANDED to the owner's daughter over the phone that she provide something in consideration for the inconvenience suffered by this whole affair. She was very apologetic over the ordeal, then she put me on hold went and talk to the owner to see what they could do for me. Amazingly, they offered to send me the LHS Ravello Shell Cordovan AND they gave me a 10% off coupon for a future order!! :slayer:. Here is my new order confirmation in case you want to try the same approach.

www.theshoemart.com/s10/orderconfirm/AldenStyle#67540...

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know right??
I was so pissed off that I called The Shoe Mart to complain about the Cigar LHS after my order was cancelled and I DEMANDED to the owner's daughter over the phone that she provide something in consideration for the inconvenience suffered by this whole affair. She was very apologetic over the ordeal, then she put me on hold went and talk to the owner to see what they could do for me. Amazingly, they offered to send me the LHS Ravello Shell Cordovan AND they gave me a 10% off coupon for a future order!! :slayer:. Here is my new order confirmation in case you want to try the same approach.
www.theshoemart.com/s10/orderconfirm/AldenStyle#67540...

Is he wearing Aldens 0:02 in???

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just FYI. In my experience, The Shoemart - particularly one of the owners, Ed - has been nothing but first-class to deal with. :nodding:

jjr4884

Reaction score
Just FYI. In my experience, The Shoemart - particularly one of the owners, Ed - has been nothing but first-class to deal with.
nod[1].gif

So if I were to contact Ed, or anyone for that matter, and tell them that I'm desperately waiting for the ravello wing tip 9 eyelet boots to become available, realistically, how far out am I looking? Can they put orders in like that and give it a 6-8 week turn around? Or do I need to keep my eyes open and my fingers crossed and get in on it asap?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know if either of these Alden's are available for purchase anymore or were they just a special, one-time thing?

Alden Ultimate Jumper Shoe

Alden CXL Chukka

They had jumpers 2 weeks ago in store, not sure about sizing as I was just getting Saphir

that does concern me; accordingly, i would return

^ i have similar issue... i thought it was normal ....

I had a little on my color 4 wt boots, just brushed it away

closerlook

Reaction score
I'm in the process of breaking in a new pair of shell longwings on carpet and noticed something on the upper, near the welt, where my foot flexes. It looks like part of the shell has come off. No idea if this is the shell itself or some kind of layer that was put over the shell but that area is now dull and no longer has the shell luster that the rest of the shoe has. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, is it cause for concern? Did the problem area get larger as the shoe was worn? Like I said, this happened about an hour into breaking them in so I'm concerned it will spread given its location and the amount of brushing after each wear.

this happens, on cigar models especially.
basically its the finish flaking of at stress points.
i learned to live with it.
it has happened on every pair of cigar I have ever had and quite a few other colors as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads