• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

herrmj

Reaction score
24l1qib.jpg

2ilgcgh.jpg

ravello wt boot
argyles otc
Love this. I think I may pass on ravello chukkas and hold out for the next ravello wingtip boot restock.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Why not ravello, especially if you have the darker edging? Also, I think whiskey could go well with summer suits like seer sucker or light-colored linen/cotton suits, or even darker ones. The contrast can be pretty cool. (I suppose these don't qualify as dressy suits).

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This picture of snuff suede looks great... Despite the obvious beating (and it what looks like indigo dye staining from denim), the shoes look attractive. Snuff seems like a good fall suede color.
http://leffot.tumblr.com/post/29785121586/alden-lwb-snuff-suede-well-worn-and-worn-well

I love those. I like the patina.

I had a pair of Clarks DBs in a "suede" years ago that had the indigo stains like that and I always got compliments on them...:satisfied:

They were beat to hell but i loved the look

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know why everyone is so closed off to wearing whiskey with a suit...

I feel like that color would pair perfectly with a navy suit (like in the video below) or with a mid grey suit in the summer...

I like Domenico looks great. Rappo' on the otherhand can be a goof in these videos...

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Papa: Are you getting a cut of the savings many experienced? :D

Yeah, I wish. I'm glad others could take advantage though. If someone wants to explain how I can get some RL Marlows at 40% off during the next sale, consider us even. (sevenfoldtieguy's referring to this post.)

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dont know why everyone is so closed off to wearing whiskey with a suit...
I feel like that color would pair perfectly with a navy suit (like in the video below) or with a mid grey suit in the summer...
I like Domenico looks great. Rappo' on the otherhand can be a goof in these videos...

I'm a bit puzzled by this as well. If people wear tan calfskin shoes with suits (and they do, sometimes very well), why not whiskey?

- Also, when it comes to ravello with suits, there aren't many models better suited for suit wear than LeatherSoul's ravello shortwings and Leffot's ravello tassel loafers. I don't see why ravello longwings don't make the cut either.

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a bit pizzled by this as well. If people wear tan calfskin shoes with suits (and they do, sometimes very well), why not whiskey?

My thinking when I suggested only black, burgundy, or dark brown with a dark wool suit was specific to bluchers. I'm sure many ravello or even whiskey bluchers would look good with a dark suit, but part of me thinks that they should at least be balmorals if you're going to go that light in color. If the suit itself is light or medium in color, then I think a light brown blucher is in keeping with the formality.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love this. I think I may pass on ravello chukkas and hold out for the next ravello wingtip boot restock.

You might be waiting for a while unless you were in on one of the pre-orders....I'm still waiting for Epaulet's Ravello Brixton boot, and we still don't have any word of when they will be produced.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not ravello, especially if you have the darker edging?  Also, I think whiskey could go well with summer suits like seer sucker or light-colored linen/cotton suits, or even darker ones.  The contrast can be pretty cool.   (I suppose these don't qualify as dressy suits).

As my original post said, there is no right or wrong. And my post was limited to LWBs, and not meant to be taken generally as to the stated colors.

Those are merely my personal preferences, and how things play out for my personal style of dress. There are some ravello models that would pair well with a suit IMO (e.g., SWB, captoe blucher, captoe bal) , I just don't do it with ravello LWB's. There is maybe one whiskey model I personally would be open to pairing with a suit - captoe bal. Beyond that, no whiskey with suits for me (simply too light in color for me). LWBs are fairly bulky. The lighter the color (whiskey, ravello) - the bulkier the appearance.

I have literally stood in front of a mirror with a suit on - paired with ravello LWBs and whiskey LWBs - and I just can't do it. Others can - and I have no objection to that. Different strokes for different folks .....

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Shoe Mart just emailed me telling me:

Hello,
I am emailing from TheShoeMart regarding your recent order for the
Alden Men's Leisure Handsewn Shell Cordovan Cigar Shell (style #
6717). Unfortunately, there was a glitch in our computer system this
weekend in which case the system "confused" the Shell Cordovan version
of this item with the Calfskin version. However, this particular model
actually isn't made in Calfskin, and we do not have the Shell Cordovan
version in stock. Therefore, your order has been cancelled, and you
were never charged for it. We do apologize for the inconvenience. If
you have any questions, please let us know. Thank you very much.

I am so disappointed that some people got theirs and I didn't especially since I ordered really early too :(:(:(

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My thinking when I suggested only black, burgundy, or dark brown with a dark wool suit was specific to bluchers. I'm sure many ravello or even whiskey bluchers would look good with a dark suit, but part of me thinks that they should at least be balmorals if you're going to go that light in color. If the suit itself is light or medium in color, then I think a light brown blucher is in keeping with the formality.

I guess this is fair - for example, for an interview or an important meeting with clients that I hadn't met before or something, black, color 8 or dark brown (I am partial to the ralph lauren marlows) with a dark navy or grey suit is likely the way to go. However, if you have a few suits that you wear regularly, and one of them is ligher grey or navy, ravello or whiskey seems fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads