• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those cigar captoes are indeed very nice ... what last are they on and what kind of sole? Any collabs going on now or soon that will have this makeup?

thank you
they are on the plaza last
they were custom order

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a good sign... this could mean there are air gaps in the cork or between the feather and sole

Had this happen on some single soled chukka's on me. Sent them back for a full refund. Same thing with my BB Unlined Cordo #8 Penny's. Just pick up Whiskey Chukka and hoping like hell they don't end up doing that... difference is... these are double sole maybe that will work. I also didn't care for the Leydon Chukka sole, felt really flimsy. Pass....

Ron, at Moulded, assures me this will work itself out after a few wears else he will fix it. We'll find out shortly.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you that own the Alden shell LHS and Alden for BB shell LHS (unlined), which do you prefer? Are the unlined ones more roomy? Did you size down by 1/2 size? I am considering pulling the trigger on one or the other in color 8. FWIW, I plan to wear them without socks from time to time, so I can't have them sloppy. In advance, thank you for your feedback. A good weekend to one and all ...
I am a 9 1/2 D. I sized down 1/2 for a perfect moccasin fit 9D.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I understood that both versions were on the VAN last. That being the case, I am rather surprised that you took different sizes in the 2 models of the LHS?
For those of you that have the Alden for BB LHS, what size did you take in relation to your TTS?
Down 1/2 BB LHS is what I did and love the fit now. I seem to remember a little struggle with them in the break in ... but now, very glad I went down 1/2.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

AAF-8AF

Reaction score
My Alden lined LHS are 9 EE. That width is not standard for the LHS but I was able to get them from ShoeMart (both #8 and cigar). I'm normally an E width but when I started out with that in the LHS, the vamp was impossibly tight. I have no slippage problems with the EE, in case you are wondering. When I decided I wanted the BB unlined, I took a chance on my true size, 9.5 E, and they are perfect. I do wear them with socks, though. The thing about these two pairs of shoes and their fit, regarding the length, is that the widest part of my foot is at the widest part of the shoe in each case, and it makes me wonder if there is something different about the BB last. If I put the two pairs sole-to-sole, they line up pretty evenly except for width.

You're going to get many different stories on this comparison as it's come up in the past and that's what I've seen in replies. The combination of the differences between these two shoes along with the differences between different people's feet and fit preferences is going to make it hard for you to take someone else's experience and make it work for you. As hard as it may be to arrange, you may need to just try them on.

As for my personal preference between them, the unlined are more comfortable, like wearing slippers, and I love the pure cordovan experience along with the visible Horween stamp in one of them, but I like the two versions equally.

Thanks for the input. I understood that both versions were on the VAN last. That being the case, I am rather surprised that you took different sizes in the 2 models of the LHS?
For those of you that have the Alden for BB LHS, what size did you take in relation to your TTS?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has perplexed me as well. My unlined BB was my first pair, and when I subsequently bought the lined version, I mistakenly ordered my true size. I had to exchange 2 pairs before I got an appropriate fit.

Edit: My 9.5D unlined and 9C lined also match up just about perfectly sole-to-sole, as mentioned above.

Last edited:

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of cordovan Florsheim x Duckie Brown longwings, but they are a bit too tight at the bottom of the instep. I know that cordovan doesn't really stretch, and it's just too uncomfortable. I think I'm going to try a pair of Alden longwings, so I'm wondering if an equivalent-sized Barrie-lasted longwing (8.5) will have more room in the instep? I guess I have a higher instep than the Florsheim x Duckie Brown is built for.

I think NAMOR has said the Florsheim x Duckie Browns fit similar to the Alden Grant last, but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions? For comparison, 9D on the Allen Edmonds Strand fits great, as well as 8E UK in the 337-lasted C&J Audley.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I recently bought a pair of cordovan Florsheim x Duckie Brown longwings, but they are a bit too tight at the bottom of the instep. I know that cordovan doesn't really stretch, and it's just too uncomfortable. I think I'm going to try a pair of Alden longwings, so I'm wondering if an equivalent-sized Barrie-lasted longwing (8.5) will have more room in the instep? I guess I have a higher instep than the Florsheim x Duckie Brown is built for.

I think NAMOR has said the Florsheim x Duckie Browns fit similar to the Alden Grant last, but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions? For comparison, 9D on the Allen Edmonds Strand fits great, as well as 8E UK in the 337-lasted C&J Audley.

Sounds like you're either an 8D or an 8.5D on the Barrie. Can you go anywhere to get fitted? If not, try ordering a range of options from Shoe Mart - they have a very generous returns policy.

marmottan

Reaction score
Hi seven',

My standard size is 9d but I take 8.5D with these "two cousins".
In the beginning, the 986-987 fit much more tighter than the BB and, the first time, I thought I had no choice but sending them back.
I was right to keep them since they do stretch a little. On the other hand, the BB are immediately extremely comfortable.

I couldn't agree more with Bakes: the 986/987 really fit like wooden clogs!

For 7 to 9 months a year (depending where you live), take the BB - except if you really want rare shells, they'll do the job.
Don't know whether other guys feel that the Alden are not appropriate for summer (heat...).

Hope this helps.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Modified last works well with a high instep as long as you like Blüchers.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW:
I am 9D in AE Strand (and other AE shoes on the 5 Last) (this is AE's longest last)(and the brown shell Strand is the best shoe they make, IMO)
I am 9D in Alden's Barrie last (numerous pairs)
I am 9.5D in Alden's Grant last
I am TTS a 9.5D.

Profligate47

Reaction score

I am a 9 1/2 D.  I sized down 1/2 for a perfect moccasin fit 9D.

Unlined for BB:

Alden lined:

I have both in size 10.5 D. I wear the unlined mostly in warmer months; The Lined in Winter (!). They are not sloppy after a few years of wear. I find Van last runs true to size. The lined are "silkier" to put on; the unlined are lighter to wear. Hope this helps...

Profligate47

Reaction score

Hi Sevenfold:

I may be unusual in that I take the same size in all Van, Aberdeen, Barrie, and Tremont. I sized up for Plaza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads