• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, I've read that various shell cordovan colors begin to fade with use. For example, color 8 becomes less intense with time and the original purple-ish color fades to a much lighter hue.
Is that true? And is it true for all shell cordovan colors regardless of shoe brand?

Some colors fade over time and this is regardless of brand/maker.

Black does not seem to fade and stays pretty darn black.

Cigar and #8 seem to fade.

Whiskey seems to darken.

I am not sure about blue or Ravello.

The fading is something that many people find desireable. As a matter of fact here is some pics of a famous pair of faded #8 Indy's from amlai.

Before recrafting:

After recrafting:

Link to thread:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...tos-of-Alden-Color-8-shell-cordovan-over-time

Direct links to source posts:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...-shell-cordovan-over-time&p=902372#post902372

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...247ea53f364a37c2ca65813ed&p=912559#post912559

Here is a Horween blog post that may interest you:

http://horween.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/brownout/

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J. Crew LWBs.
tumblr_m5ubms55Pb1rux7jzo2_1280.jpg

Very nice bro! :nodding:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
350x335px-LL-f9c7bd65_img2631sized.jpeg

those really are beautiful. kind of makes me regret getting my #8 boots in wingtip instead indy (or even plain toe) form.

Last edited:

closerlook

Reaction score
If anyone might be interested in a pair of [COLOR=FF00AA]color8[/COLOR] shell cordovan Jumper boots in 7.5 D, let me know
i have a pair too many

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice bro! :nodding:

Thanks, dude.

RE: when to send your shoes in for repairing, I have no idea how to detect when a leather sole is worn out. I assume small holes will appear?

pistolero

Reaction score

dude those are sweet. i don't know why it never occurred to me that such a boot would be so cool looking and versatile:
42518_1.jpg
do you know if blackbird regularly has those in stock, or is it a once in a blue moon type deal?

I emailed them with that very question earlier today. Will post when I hear back. I regret missing out on that makeup.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
^^ You'll find this out when their response arrives, but is Blackbird still an Alden retailer? I think I remember hearing that they are not. Not to mention that they only have one shoe (a 12d) left in their whole Alden stock and it is on closeout.

Somebody needs to make that boot!

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding LS's new black SWB:

Do you prefer this shoe over the black LWB?  I know many of you have built a collection of LWBs, so does this "throw off" your collection at all, adding an SWB?

I guess what I'm really getting at is this: why buy this shoe instead of the black LWB?  Those of you who have the Ravello SWB might chime in, since I know that's also a popular SWB.

I have the LWB in whiskey, cigar, color 8 and black shell (and in dark brown calf grain). Adding a SWB in no way throws off one's collection, it diversifies it.

Without knowing your current shoe collection, it is impossible to give any clear direction, but since you asked, I'l throw in my 2 cents.

The black shell SWB is a special make-up and the black shell LWB is a stock item. To that end, the SWB is more rare. But that doesn't mean it is a preferable shoe choice. The SWB - even though also on the Barrie last - is quite a bit sleeker than the LWB, IMO (e.g., SWB has no storm welt). Having these two Alden models, which I do, and seeing an in-person comparison, which I have, really drove this point home for me (for good, bad, or otherwise).

I have the ravello SWB and it is great. I have the black shell LWB and it too is great (wore it today). For me I opted for the ravello SWB before the ravello LWB, but that is mostly due to the fact that I already owned more shell LWBs than shell SWBs. Eventually I will pick up the ravello LWB most likely.

If I go the way of a shortwing, which I have, I have typically gone with a balmoral - in color 8 and black shell.

You can't go wrong with either model. Also, as for black shell SWB vs. black shell LWB, both are plenty dressy, but the LWB is easier to dress down, IMO.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Excellent response, thanks so much! I have thus far held off on purchasing a black Alden shoe, only b/c it seems like the "dressiest" color, and for that I usually go English calf. My Aldens thus far are limited to shell and suede models, all in the "colors" (whiskey/cigar/ravello/8). Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the black SWB.

Btw, if anyone's interested, I found a GREAT site for colored laces:

http://benjos.com/

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some colors fade over time and this is regardless of brand/maker.
Black does not seem to fade and stays pretty darn black.
Cigar and #8 seem to fade.
Whiskey seems to darken.
I am not sure about blue or Ravello.
The fading is something that many people find desireable. As a matter of fact here is some pics of a famous pair of faded #8 Indy's from amlai.
Before recrafting:

After recrafting:

I like the fading of darker shells and darkening of lighter shells. Ravello will darken. Lovely Indy boots.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for Leather Soul to do a suede version of the jumper boot, but this will do nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads