1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

Some colors fade over time and this is regardless of brand/maker.

Black does not seem to fade and stays pretty darn black.

Cigar and #8 seem to fade.

Whiskey seems to darken.

I am not sure about blue or Ravello.

The fading is something that many people find desireable. As a matter of fact here is some pics of a famous pair of faded #8 Indy's from amlai.

Before recrafting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After recrafting:

[​IMG]

Link to thread:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...tos-of-Alden-Color-8-shell-cordovan-over-time

Direct links to source posts:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...-shell-cordovan-over-time&p=902372#post902372

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...247ea53f364a37c2ca65813ed&p=912559#post912559

Here is a Horween blog post that may interest you:

http://horween.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/brownout/

2. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

Very nice bro! :nodding:

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

those really are beautiful. kind of makes me regret getting my #8 boots in wingtip instead indy (or even plain toe) form.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

4. MiniW

MiniW Distinguished Member

5. closerlook

closerlook Senior Member

If anyone might be interested in a pair of [COLOR=FF00AA]color8[/COLOR] shell cordovan Jumper boots in 7.5 D, let me know
    i have a pair too many

[​IMG]

6. wj4

wj4 Distinguished Member

Thanks, dude.

RE: when to send your shoes in for repairing, I have no idea how to detect when a leather sole is worn out. I assume small holes will appear?

7. pistolero

pistolero Senior Member

I emailed them with that very question earlier today. Will post when I hear back. I regret missing out on that makeup.

8. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior Member

^^ You'll find this out when their response arrives, but is Blackbird still an Alden retailer? I think I remember hearing that they are not. Not to mention that they only have one shoe (a 12d) left in their whole Alden stock and it is on closeout.

Somebody needs to make that boot!

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

I have the LWB in whiskey, cigar, color 8 and black shell (and in dark brown calf grain). Adding a SWB in no way throws off one's collection, it diversifies it.

Without knowing your current shoe collection, it is impossible to give any clear direction, but since you asked, I'l throw in my 2 cents.

The black shell SWB is a special make-up and the black shell LWB is a stock item. To that end, the SWB is more rare. But that doesn't mean it is a preferable shoe choice. The SWB - even though also on the Barrie last - is quite a bit sleeker than the LWB, IMO (e.g., SWB has no storm welt). Having these two Alden models, which I do, and seeing an in-person comparison, which I have, really drove this point home for me (for good, bad, or otherwise).

I have the ravello SWB and it is great. I have the black shell LWB and it too is great (wore it today). For me I opted for the ravello SWB before the ravello LWB, but that is mostly due to the fact that I already owned more shell LWBs than shell SWBs. Eventually I will pick up the ravello LWB most likely.

If I go the way of a shortwing, which I have, I have typically gone with a balmoral - in color 8 and black shell.

You can't go wrong with either model. Also, as for black shell SWB vs. black shell LWB, both are plenty dressy, but the LWB is easier to dress down, IMO.

10. thebeebs

thebeebs Distinguished Member

^ Excellent response, thanks so much! I have thus far held off on purchasing a black Alden shoe, only b/c it seems like the "dressiest" color, and for that I usually go English calf. My Aldens thus far are limited to shell and suede models, all in the "colors" (whiskey/cigar/ravello/8). Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the black SWB.

Btw, if anyone's interested, I found a GREAT site for colored laces:

http://benjos.com/

11. kolecho

kolecho Distinguished Member

I like the fading of darker shells and darkening of lighter shells. Ravello will darken. Lovely Indy boots.

12. interlockingny

interlockingny Distinguished Member

Couldn't help but to notice this new boot from ShoeMart. Nice makeup:

[​IMG]

Definitely tempting. I like the all eyelet look.

Link

13. Akeem

Akeem Distinguished Member

I've been waiting for Leather Soul to do a suede version of the jumper boot, but this will do nicely.

14. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

#4 4x4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

nephew,
    looking good in #4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.