Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks, hkpm. Your input and observation about your Indy boots is good info for me.

2. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Regarding LS's new black SWB:

Do you prefer this shoe over the black LWB? I know many of you have built a collection of LWBs, so does this "throw off" your collection at all, adding an SWB?

I guess what I'm really getting at is this: why buy this shoe instead of the black LWB? Those of you who have the Ravello SWB might chime in, since I know that's also a popular SWB.

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

dude those are sweet. i don't know why it never occurred to me that such a boot would be so cool looking and versatile:

[​IMG]

do you know if blackbird regularly has those in stock, or is it a once in a blue moon type deal?

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

It looks like these boots are made of Tiger Blood and contain Adonis DNA. Great boots! :slayer:
    VERY informative post. This may not be the only thing I learned today but it is the most important. Thank you. :satisfied:
    Uncle, I am going to say this, and I do not say this lightly.
    [COLOR=0000AA]Of[/COLOR] [COLOR=0055AA]all[/COLOR] [COLOR=0088AA]the[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]shoes[/COLOR] [COLOR=0166cc]you[/COLOR] [COLOR=3333cc]have[/COLOR] [COLOR=6699ff]posted[/COLOR] [COLOR=6633ff]those[/COLOR] [COLOR=660099]Ravello[/COLOR] [COLOR=990066]PTB's[/COLOR] [COLOR=0350AA]are [COLOR=0400AA]my[/COLOR] [COLOR=990033]favorites[/COLOR].

thank you

5. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ I've always thought those were some of the more attractive black plain toes I've come across. Unfortunately it seems like they are not restocking them regularly........

6. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

Shifting of the tongue to the left or right side depends entirely on the way you walk--if you over or under pronate, it depends on the person more than the shoe.

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

1) More unique / rarer (Alden shortwing bluchers are not readily available)
    2) the flat welt makes it a bit "dressier," so it goes a bit better with suits and such

I was planning on buying black LWB around this fall, but I jumped on these instead and will pass on black longwings

I have another non-Alden shortwing (the RL Marlow), so this is a welcome addition

8. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I like it a lot. To me this would not throw off my LWB collection because I have enough LWB's and the black is more formal and the wingtip is a slighly more formal shoe than the LWB.

That being said I think a black cordovan cap toe would also fill my need for a black cordovan shoe.

As an aside I also have black pepple grain calf LWB so YMMV. :happy:

9. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

This is a common "problem" and many members have had the tongue sewn in place. If you search the thread you will find a couple of other solutions but none work as well.

10. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

So, I've read that various shell cordovan colors begin to fade with use. For example, color 8 becomes less intense with time and the original purple-ish color fades to a much lighter hue.

Is that true? And is it true for all shell cordovan colors regardless of shoe brand?

11. kippy

kippy Senior member

It is also possible the Barrie last was molded from Mac's own feet :)

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

it would be nice if that was the case, then i would be entitled to the barrie last royalties

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

If that were true, then the tongues of all his boots would slip over.

Some boots are just made with the tongue crooked and it slips over. I've got a pair of suede Indy boots where the left tongue slips to the right.
    Crockett & Jones boots typically have the left side of the right shoe's tongue stitched down to prevent the slippage. (And of course the right side of the left boot's tongue).

14. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Allowing for the small possibility that Mac's feet weren't actually used to craft the Barrie last, does anybody know where the name (and the spelling) comes from?

15. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.