• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do leather soles hold up? I'm starting to think the commando sole is a bit too chunky for the type of jeans I wear. I would be wearing them out and about on cement, bar floors, work floors ect.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

All above is true... however keep in mind that you may get hit with a hefty customs fee if customs snags your package.
I bought a pair of Tricker's Shell longwing's from Frans Boone (store customer service was awesome) but got hit with an $85.00 customs charge.... so you have to add that possiblity into the equation.
This has never happened to me so I can't speak to it.
Shipping is Eur 50 to US. Terrible. Despite the fact that TSM is sold out of what I want for 5 months, I don't think I can justify paying a $170 premium to buy from Frans now.
Based on the conversion rate from today it's $111 over the price of TSM's cigar ptb with shipping and if you missed it the shipping was free. The OP wanted a cigar ptb with brass eyelets and TSM's make-up will never have 'em. I understand your position & it's your choice but in my experience it's best to get exactly what you want.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do leather soles hold up? I'm starting to think the commando sole is a bit too chunky for the type of jeans I wear. I would be wearing them out and about on cement, bar floors, work floors ect.

Personally I find rubber soles to last longer than leather (obviously the type of leather soles will vary the longevity, e.g., oak bark). I personally prefer leather sole and have a couple Dianite soled shoes. I think 20% of my shoes have rubber sole guards.

unclesam099

Reaction score
I just received a TSM seconds Whiskey captoe balmoral, single leather sole, 12E on the Hampton and it's just a bit wide but nearly perfect. I cannot determine the reason for it being a "second".

And I also got a TSM seconds "rust" suede unlined PTB waterlock sole, flexwelt on the Leydon, 12D. It fits nearly perfectly (it's pretty long for a size 12) and I cannot determine the reason for being a "second".

I shouldn't really buy these two pairs this month.

Dammit.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So annoying to hear them pronounced so many times as "bloo-chers" instead of "blue-kers"
Note that there are two accepted pronunciations: blucher but I much prefer the "blue-ker" version

Personally, I'm not a fan of the terms "blucher" (either way you pronounce it) and "balmoral" at all. They are both relatively clumsy words to pronounce, IMO. I actually prefer the British terminology ("derby" and "oxford") for distinguishing these types of shoes.

NotClever

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a fan of the terms "blucher" (either way you pronounce it) and "balmoral" at all. They are both relatively clumsy words to pronounce, IMO. I actually prefer the British terminology ("derby" and "oxford") for distinguishing these types of shoes.

That would be great if 90% of US retailers (and apparently even some UK retailers) didn't call every leather shoe an Oxford.

Matto ELITE

Reaction score
Cigar LWB, I'm seated if the break comes into question
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Errrr, anyone have that shoelace link by any chance? I hear that I've been tying my laces incorrectly for 20+ years.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cigar LWB, I'm seated if the break comes into question
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Errrr, anyone have that shoelace link by any chance? I hear that I've been tying my laces incorrectly for 20+ years.

I think this is the one that was posted a little while back: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/tying.htm

And you are not alone, sir. I am living in a different world now. One in which my shoes stay tied, at least when I remember to tie them properly that is... :)

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just received a TSM seconds Whiskey captoe balmoral, single leather sole, 12E on the Hampton and it's just a bit wide but nearly perfect. I cannot determine the reason for it being a "second".
And I also got a TSM seconds "rust" suede unlined PTB waterlock sole, flexwelt on the Leydon, 12D. It fits nearly perfectly (it's pretty long for a size 12) and I cannot determine the reason for being a "second".
I shouldn't really buy these two pairs this month.
Dammit.

You have to keep those Whiskey captoe bals because we need to see photos of them. Don't just think of yourself here, consider the rest of us.

If I ever get into Alden Madison Ave. and they have a pair of these in my size...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads