• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPFNY5

Reaction score
Apparently a not for production prototype in Burgundy suede.
aldens.jpg
Now those would be AWESOME!! Where did you find this picture?

East Tide

Reaction score
... and yes, I was referring to how to properly break them in, not so much about caring for them. If it's as simple as wearing them indoors I had already planed on that so it answers my question. I thought there was more to it.

ET

abam

Reaction score
interesting ... wish it was more different since i already have those

I think it'll be more like:

Compared to the LS Black/#4 Saddle Blucher, the JGilbert makeup will have black eyelets, and a bal design (which should include broguing). If that's different enough for you, you should put your name down on the list! I've been looking for a full shell saddle to order, and the JGilbert one seems to be the most interesting i've come across (though the Leffot/Blackbird pebble grain calf/whiskey shell were tempting).

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got placed my order. It's going to be a bal on the barrie last with the black shell as the saddle.
The order goes in Monday so give J. Gilbert a call asap if you're interested.

That's a shame. They should have gone with the Plaza.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

I decided on the PTB in Whiskey. I had just bought a tan chino summer suit and wanted something to match and wear this spring/summer. Seeing those beauts above makes me pleased with my decision!

ET
Thanks & congratulations on your purchase. The PTB is a great shoe, very versatile. Here's a pic or two of my whiskey PTB.
e41d8f2d.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg

Pastor

Reaction score
Here are some more pics of my Cigar Indy boots. I absolutely love them. The fist pic is after about two weeks of solid wear everyday.

photo1nq.jpg

This is after a mild brushing and a tad bit of Reno.

photo2nc.jpg

I do have two questions for my forum friends. There is a tiny dot that looks either silver or gold on the side of one of the shoes. I didn't notice it when I bought the boots and i've tried getting it off and it seems nothing works. What can I do? I read a few pages back that someone used a razor??? Is the cordovan under that spot dyed brown as well?

photo4vm.jpg

Last question. One of the commando soles is coming off on one boot. It is still stitched on but has come unglued all around the front part of the sole. Should I worry about this or try to fix it? Can I glue it back myself and if so what type glue should I use?

photo1dgk.jpg

Pastor

Reaction score

Thanks & congratulations on your purchase. The PTB is a great shoe, very versatile. Here's a pic or two of my whiskey PTB.
e41d8f2d.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

I love these. I don't have any whiskey and I keep telling myself I don't need any but man those pics are talking to me. I think I need to stay off of SF.

g.michael

Reaction score

Here are some more pics of my Cigar Indy boots. I absolutely love them. The fist pic is after about two weeks of solid wear everyday.
photo1nq.jpg

This is after a mild brushing and a tad bit of Reno.
photo2nc.jpg

I do have two questions for my forum friends. There is a tiny dot that looks either silver or gold on the side of one of the shoes. I didn't notice it when I bought the boots and i've tried getting it off and it seems nothing works. What can I do? I read a few pages back that someone used a razor??? Is the cordovan under that spot dyed brown as well?
photo4vm.jpg

Last question. One of the commando soles is coming off on one boot. It is still stitched on but has come unglued all around the front part of the sole. Should I worry about this or try to fix it? Can I glue it back myself and if so what type glue should I use?
photo1dgk.jpg

The commando sole failing that quickly into your post-purchase period is pathetic. I would contact Alden, who will tell you to contact the retailer. I would send it in to have it repaired even though some gorilla glue might do the trick.

Pastor

Reaction score

Off to the shoe repair shop I go. Well, my wife is going to be having our second child Monday (or maybe sooner???) so it'll be next week before I can drop them off. I don't think I want to go through the hassle of sending them back to the shoe mart and then they having to send them back to Alden. I'd probably be without them for months. I know also that these boots are sold out so replacements are not an option. I wasn't looking at replacements anyway I just wanted to know what to do about it. What about the gold spot? Can anything be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads