Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jslade

jslade Senior member

What color belt do you guys pair with shoes in the #8 color?

2. borderline

borderline Senior member

You can't go wrong either way, but the #8 is classic and I would lean towards that. Maybe get cigar in a different style like PTB.

3. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Can you please post some detailed shots of the modified last. it sounds like the perfect last for my foot, and I would love to see more images.

4. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

It is possible to pair a black or a dark brown belt depending on the colour scheme of everything else you're wearing.

Ultimately I bought a color 8 belt... Looks best.

5. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I just use a very dark brown leather belt that I got from Brooks Bros.. I'm too much of a cheapo to buy a #8 belt to dedicate to it.

6. jslade

jslade Senior member

Damn, they sell Color 8 belts?

Why is it that there are rarely any Alden's on B&S to fit a size 9.5? I was under the assumption that a 9.5 would be one of the most common sizes, but B&S begs to differ. :eek:

7. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

hmm, I feel like I see tons of 9.5 here and on the bay.

8. jslade

jslade Senior member

There have definitely not been any on B&S for a long time now (I check every day) that aren't loafers of some kind. I don't check the Bay much. :)

I'm looking for some nicer shoes to go with a medium gray suit -- thinking either black or color #8, per earlier suggestions. I'd prefer to pick them up at a discount instead of paying full price for them, though (I'm on a income-less student budget). Any suggestions? I've been surfing B&S, but no dice.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

9. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

a few things:

1. be patient, it can take a while to find something
    2. don't buy things b/c there is a good deal, only buy something if it's what you really want
    3. shoemart seconds list
    4. I think Alden is very, very hard to get much of a discount on, for any shoe that's in any kind of decent shape. if you want #8 or black shell shoes in basic styles, you can find (imo) amazing deals on vintage US brands like Hanover or Florsheim. if you are on a budget, this what I would do. Alden is great when you want things in rarer shell colors, boots, or some of the cool custom makeups retailers do. others disagree with me, but if I just wanted a #8 PTB or longwing and was on a strict budget, I wouldn't buy one from Alden. save you money for the stuff alden does that's truly unique (which there is a good bit of)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

10. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I'd prefer to pick them up at a discount instead of paying full price for them, though (I'm on a income-less student budget).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thanks beowolf. glad thats all over with and thank you again for being so patient. you sir are a gentleman. I didnt buy the wingtips. great deal to whoever bought them

12. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Yah, the barrie can look a little bulky. However, I'm built like a man, not like Kate Moss. The barrie suits my build. A narrow, pointed last would look odd, as if I had no clue how to dress myself.

And they were very dark, almost as dark as #8 when I first got them.

13. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

For snow, you should have snow boots. Sorel or LL Bean come to mind. 1/4 the price of the 404, and will work four times as well.

If you must have an Alden snow boot, then, yes, get the 404. Then treat thoroughly with Sno-Seal for water proofing.

14. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

The Modified does. Alden makes specially contoured insoles for the Modified if they're too big.

15. Chien

Chien Well-Known Member

guys guys, i bought saphir's cordovan cream in cordovan color, its is supposed to be used on #8 color right? since the place i bought it from ( http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/shoe-care-accessories/products/saphir-cordovan-cream ) bracketed it as Burgundy.

But upon polishing my #8 boots, they turn out brownish under the sunlight. Luckily, or unluckily i only have them polished on my right side's captoe.
    So what should i do? Should i remove it? or to continue using it and hopefully some nice color combination gonna come out?
    If im to remove it, how do i? Just keep brushing using the horsebrush will do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.