• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color belt do you guys pair with shoes in the #8 color?

borderline

Reaction score

Ok, so I own a pair of C&J Pembrokes in tan scotch country grain, and I love 'em. Cigar LWBs have been my next-purchase shoe for a while now, but I'm beginning to think I should get LWBs in #8 instead, because Cigar would be too similar to my Pembrokes?
A newyorkranger picture of the Pembrokes, for anyone unfamiliar with them:

What do you guys suggest? I don't have a burgundy shoe at the moment.

You can't go wrong either way, but the #8 is classic and I would lean towards that. Maybe get cigar in a different style like PTB.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore my sand suede Alden Irregulars for the first time today. I expected comfort instantly due to the lightweight suede, but I guess it will take time to break them in. I also think that the Modified last fits a bit larger than Barrie.

Can you please post some detailed shots of the modified last. it sounds like the perfect last for my foot, and I would love to see more images.

Doctor

Reaction score

It is possible to pair a black or a dark brown belt depending on the colour scheme of everything else you're wearing.

Ultimately I bought a color 8 belt... Looks best.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just use a very dark brown leather belt that I got from Brooks Bros.. I'm too much of a cheapo to buy a #8 belt to dedicate to it.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, they sell Color 8 belts?

Why is it that there are rarely any Alden's on B&S to fit a size 9.5? I was under the assumption that a 9.5 would be one of the most common sizes, but B&S begs to differ. :eek:

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have definitely not been any on B&S for a long time now (I check every day) that aren't loafers of some kind. I don't check the Bay much. :)

I'm looking for some nicer shoes to go with a medium gray suit -- thinking either black or color #8, per earlier suggestions. I'd prefer to pick them up at a discount instead of paying full price for them, though (I'm on a income-less student budget). Any suggestions? I've been surfing B&S, but no dice.

Last edited:

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There have definitely not been any on B&S for a long time now (I check every day) that aren't loafers of some kind. I don't check the Bay much. :)
I'm looking for some nicer shoes to go with a medium gray suit -- thinking either black or color #8, per earlier suggestions. I'd prefer to pick them up at a discount instead of paying full price for them, though (I'm on a income-less student budget). Any suggestions? I've been surfing B&S, but no dice.

a few things:

1. be patient, it can take a while to find something
2. don't buy things b/c there is a good deal, only buy something if it's what you really want
3. shoemart seconds list
4. I think Alden is very, very hard to get much of a discount on, for any shoe that's in any kind of decent shape. if you want #8 or black shell shoes in basic styles, you can find (imo) amazing deals on vintage US brands like Hanover or Florsheim. if you are on a budget, this what I would do. Alden is great when you want things in rarer shell colors, boots, or some of the cool custom makeups retailers do. others disagree with me, but if I just wanted a #8 PTB or longwing and was on a strict budget, I wouldn't buy one from Alden. save you money for the stuff alden does that's truly unique (which there is a good bit of)

Last edited:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer to pick them up at a discount instead of paying full price for them, though (I'm on a income-less student budget).
orvis.com sells the Alden longwing in #8 and the last time I looked at my shopping cart they were discounted from $625 to $500...i dont know if thats enough of a discount...but it's more than i usually see for Alden shell...

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^
which he probably used in turn to grab these while I had my attention temporarily diverted. Came back and they were gone. Hope somebody on SF grabbed them at least.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-wing-...6699556?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2315a09024

Namor, i emailed you the refund came through and i returned the money to you.

thanks beowolf. glad thats all over with and thank you again for being so patient. you sir are a gentleman. I didnt buy the wingtips. great deal to whoever bought them

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JK, those look nice. That cigar looks very dark.

Yah, the barrie can look a little bulky. However, I'm built like a man, not like Kate Moss. The barrie suits my build. A narrow, pointed last would look odd, as if I had no clue how to dress myself.

And they were very dark, almost as dark as #8 when I first got them.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in Minnesota and am approaching winter with a new paid of
Alden 403 boots. Is there something I should put on them for
snow and wet weather? are the cork soles good in slippery conditions
or should I be looking at 404's with more traction?

For snow, you should have snow boots. Sorel or LL Bean come to mind. 1/4 the price of the 404, and will work four times as well.

If you must have an Alden snow boot, then, yes, get the 404. Then treat thoroughly with Sno-Seal for water proofing.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore my sand suede Alden Irregulars for the first time today. I expected comfort instantly due to the lightweight suede, but I guess it will take time to break them in. I also think that the Modified last fits a bit larger than Barrie.

The Modified does. Alden makes specially contoured insoles for the Modified if they're too big.

Chien

Reaction score
guys guys, i bought saphir's cordovan cream in cordovan color, its is supposed to be used on #8 color right? since the place i bought it from ( http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/shoe-care-accessories/products/saphir-cordovan-cream ) bracketed it as Burgundy.

But upon polishing my #8 boots, they turn out brownish under the sunlight. Luckily, or unluckily i only have them polished on my right side's captoe.
So what should i do? Should i remove it? or to continue using it and hopefully some nice color combination gonna come out?
If im to remove it, how do i? Just keep brushing using the horsebrush will do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads