• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. I didn't see the speed hooks. The version I bought has no speed hooks. How is the hue compared to cigar? They look kinda cigar-ish in the picture. In other pictures, I see ravello as more red-ish.

themache

Reaction score
So, I need help deciding between the following:

Cigar captoe boot on the Grant last, commando sole
No 8 captoe boot on Grant last, commando or double leather sole
Ravello LWB on Barrie

Input is much appreciated! These all seem like great options. For the record, I only have two pair of shell - No 8 NST in Barrie (From Shoemart) and RL Darlton shortwing

Thanks

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ravello LWB on Barrie
Input is much appreciated! These all seem like great options. For the record, I only have two pair of shell - No 8 NST in Barrie (From Shoemart) and RL Darlton shortwing
Thanks

Do you plan to buy more pairs in the future? If so, I would hold off on the Ravello LWB and get the Cigar Captoe on the Grant. Thats an exotic combo. Buy it if you have the opportunity

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ravello LWB on Barrie
Thanks

Who has the ravello LWB?

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

photo-8.jpg

LHS and petit standards. seriously considering b nelsoning the edgetrim on these to antique.

Looks awesome - what last are those? Van? How do they fit? Been considering them for a while.

ninja07

Reaction score

Ravello LWB on Barrie
Thanks

Cigar captoe boot on the Grant last, commando sole. Def on top of my list. Mind sharing where are you purchasing from?

Santiago67

Reaction score
LS just posted a restock of the Indy in Choco Suede. I've had these before (until my brother did a perm-borrow on them) and they are extremely versatile. Might have to grab another pair. Have a great day.

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Looks awesome - what last are those? Van? How do they fit? Been considering them for a while.

these are the stock LHS, van last. I wear the same size as the barrie in these. l'm still breaking them in and so far so good...very comfy. I think these are one of those sleeper shoes that doesn't get enough love, especially in a more contemporary context

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Anyone else think the recent cigar shell shoes are almost as dark as Color 8? It may be my tired eyes but from 5 feet away they are almost indistinguishable.

looking at my #8 longwings now, I see your point. also, number 8 tends to "brown out" with wear and sunshine IMO

nurktwin

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Alden shoes (although one may have to send them back a few times to get a pair that is acceptable - e.g. "without extra needle holes").

One thing I've noticed is that if you visit online retailers, they will tell you certain Alden lasts run "large" and you need to "size down" a 1/2 size. The Barrie last is notorious for this. Here's an example of verbiage on Shoemart.com

"The Barrie and Modified Lasts run a half size larger than other Alden lasts. Consider ordering a half size smaller than you normally use."

Alden Carmel even came up with this conversion chart to try and understand the bizarre size labeling from Alden:

The most popular Alden lasts, and their relative sizes compared to usual U.S. shoe sizes are:

Leydon last - fits approximately like a standard US size
Plaza last - slightly longer than regular U.S. size
Aberdeen last - slightly longer than regular U.S. size
Van last - 1/4 to 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size
Barrie last - about 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size (U.S. size 10 = Barrie last size 9 1/2)
Trubalance last - about 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size (U.S. size 10 = Trubalance size 9 1/2)
Modified last - at least 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size (U.S. size 10 = Modified last size 9 1/2)

Question: Why doesn't Alden take note of this and just label their shoe sizes accurately and take the guesswork, confusion and hassle out of consumers having to return shoes that don't fit properly because Alden incorrectly labels sizes for certain lasts? Why not label their sizes for all lasts true to size and stop this nonsense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads