• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmmm wonder if black cordovan chukkas are worth picking up. Seems like a shade of brown would be more versatile.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Who has the ravello LWB?

I bought a pair a few months ago from Alden of Carmel. They have the crepe sole, which makes them much more practical to wear in inclement weather.

I got a pair of those too, but just a warning on them.
They're death slippery on a wet concrete floor. I was kind of surprised they were so slippery. Worse than a plain leather sole.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score

LS just posted a restock of the Indy in Choco Suede. I've had these before (until my brother did a perm-borrow on them) and they are extremely versatile. Might have to grab another pair. Have a great day.

Anyone have a pic of these in the flesh? I'm considering these or may wait until a snuff indy restock

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a pair of those too, but just a warning on them.
They're death slippery on a wet concrete floor. I was kind of surprised they were so slippery. Worse than a plain leather sole.

Super slick and the leather toe portion gets destroyed in the wet. The crepe sole was suboptimal for me in every way.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shoe stretcher question:
Think I can stretch a D width barrie lasted cordovan shoe (or chukka) to almost an E with a shoe stretcher?

i would be negative

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20gmihh.jpg

whiskey lhs
argyles otc

jasonfoote303

Reaction score

Shoe stretcher question:

Think I can stretch a D width barrie lasted cordovan shoe (or chukka) to almost an E with a shoe stretcher?

I have tried this and it did not work for me. The shoes stretched a little but not enough so I sold them on eBay

Grolsch

Reaction score
What's your take on the patina effects on Black Shell Cordovan? We are all familiar with the awesome Color 8 pix like these....

....but how do black shells turn out after a reasonable amount of wear on them?

I'm confused between Color 8 and Black from Carmel.

AF53 - Color 8 Shell Cordovan High Lace Boot
AF43 - Black Shell Cordovan High Lace Boot

Grolsch

Reaction score

I have tried this and it did not work for me. The shoes stretched a little but not enough so I sold them on eBay

Same story here. The stretch is there but only marginal, and will never get to the next width's comfort level. I tried it with a RW1907 D to E.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What's your take on the patina effects on Black Shell Cordovan?
AF53 - Color 8 Shell Cordovan High Lace Boot
AF43 - Black Shell Cordovan High Lace Boot

Unless you have a plethora of #8 and no black, I'd stick with number 8. I could be wrong but I do think that the black will age and patina to a sarker brown #8 color, especially with application of #8 polish, but would take a long time. I have one pair of black cordovan, BBBF LWB. I wear them occasionally. If I didn't feel the need to own at least one pair of black shoes, I;d probably get rid of them.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quick question here:

Just pulled out a pair of #8 shell boots hat I haven't worn in a long time (maybe about 6-8 months), and there was a fog on a part of one of them on the side and along the lace holes (think wax buildup because it was like the fog when I used to wax my car in HS- '89 Lincoln LSC for those who care). It basically buffed off with a brushing but want to make sure that is in fact what it was....

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoe stretcher question:

I think you'll have a vary hard time getting the cordovan to stretch at all to be honest. Nevermind a whole width size. It's not like calf or chromexcel imo.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quick question here:
Just pulled out a pair of #8 shell boots hat I haven't worn in a long time (maybe about 6-8 months), and there was a fog on a part of one of them on the side and along the lace holes (think wax buildup because it was like the fog when I used to wax my car in HS- '89 Lincoln LSC for those who care). It basically buffed off with a brushing but want to make sure that is in fact what it was....

I think you are correct about it being wax build up. I had the same thing on a pair of shell AE longwings that I recently pulled out of the closet. I gave them a quick buffing then hit them with whatever polish was left on my rag from my previous polishing attempt and buffed it out and they looked like they did when I stuffed them away at the start of the spring. (I think it also might have something to do with them sort of drying out over time too)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads