***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Senior member

Early birthday gift from my lovely wife. She got it with the shoes online from Alden of SF....

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Alden Stitching Issue Update; The back stitching of my Grant lasted black shell captoe came undone. I sent the boots back to Alden and the fixed them and sent them back all within 3 weeks:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

the repair job doesnt look pretty but considering the severity of the tear, im both impressed and satisfied. Alden also threw in free shoe bags. BIg thanks to Beowolf who helped coordinate with theShoeMart

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The Polos aren't quite the same as the Harvards.
    Polos are a full strap. Harvards aren't.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

5. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

^

And free shipping from Switzerland. Somebody kop those.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

This may be my new favorite boot and guess what last its on? Barrie! The single leather sole gives the boot a much sleeker look and the boot is a C width instead of D. The combination of the narrower fitting and single leather sole makes the Barrie significantly more appealing, imo.

7. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Member

Those are ridiculously good, NAMOR. I'm really thinking my next pair of boots are going to be wing tips.

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

#8 LWB
    Cigar NST
    #8 CapToe Boot
    Suede Chukka
    Ravello PTB
    and so whiskey doesn't feel left out
    Whiskey WTBoot

If I could afford them both AND a good divorce attorney, I'd prob buy. Since I can't, I guess I won't get either.

9. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I don't understand--you're actually happy with that? It looks like crap. If the tear was your fault I can understand Alden just sewing it up. If the tear happened from normal wear, that's a manufacturing flaw and they should have come through with new boots or a merchandise credit of some sort. It looks like you could have stitched that yourself.

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I wasn't going to say anything about this, but I agree with you. Sometimes if feels like people have battered woman syndrome when it comes to Alden quality.

I'd be super pissed if that happened on a $200 pair of Allen Edmonds seconds. The fact that Shell Aldens cost nearly $700 and people put up with issues like this doesn't make sense to me.

11. number9dream

number9dream Senior member

The difference is that Allen Edmonds would have given him a brand new pair of shoes, no questions asked. I can say that from personal experience with shell cordovan strands that I took into the store to be repaired (and was mailed a brand new pair free of charge).

12. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Crap is a nice way to describe it - I'd send them back and demand a replacement/refund/credit. How does that leave the Alden factory looking like that? Did someone actually look at the repair and say "That's a good job!"?

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

first off: I always thought Namor was in the states!

If my Aldens ever need a repair due to inferior quality control issues and they mistreat me or do a half effort job, I would be turned off from Alden in general.

14. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Woah that repair is awful. Namor, def get in contact with Alden about this and just demand a refund or something because that looks awful. Even if I wore that boot and no one could see the messed up area, it would bother me just knowing that it was there.

15. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

Wanted to share my Alden experience. I picked up a captoe bal in calfskin a few years ago. Great quality shoe.

Last year, I bought a 990 in shell. But sent it back due to quality issues. See this thread from last year: http://www.styleforum.net/t/197865/alden-shell-cordovan-shoelace-hole-misalignment-is-this-normal

Fast forward a year later to now. I recently decided to give this model another try and ordered another 990 from a different online retailer. Received it. But haven't yet worn it.

I notice a weird "smudge" on one of the shoes. Anyone know what to make of this? The first pic below is the initial smudge out of the box. The second pic is the same smudge after I tried to remove the smudge with a damp cloth.

I really think this is a great shoe and want to own a decent example, but the quality issues are troubling. If I can get the smudge off, I'd be happy and will keep it. If not, I'll send it back. Thoughts on what this smudge is? Thanks.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.