1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

what size are you?

I have a pair of 10D new for sale

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

:( I'm like a 7 or 8

3. iroh

iroh Senior member

4. Roggie Rog

Roggie Rog Well-Known Member

Hey what's this I've been reading about the crepe sole being slippery in the rain? I expected it to actually have more traction. Also, what's that about Alden not putting a different sole on a pair of shoes, e.g., crepe sole to Commando sole?

5. REguy

REguy Senior member

^ If the weather is crappy (i.e. snowing), I don't like wearing 100% leather soled footwear. Also, I personally like oxfords over boots, but YMMV.

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

On a smooth wet surface like a garage floor, crepe is slippery but to be honest, it's no worse than a leather sole.

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Both those are true. My crepe soles are slick, and Alden appears to no longer be willing to resole to anything but stock.

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

True, but leather isn't exactly the benchmark of wet weather practicality!

My feeling with Alden is go commando or go leather.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Is there that much difference between a Plaza Last and Grant Last? Shit makes my head spin trying to pick the boot I want...

10. Roggie Rog

Regarding that hole in your boots, of the few pairs of Alden's that I've inspected, most have had those damned holes! I feel that its ridiculous. I have fallen in love with this brand, but I have a low tolerance for imperfections. I love that they're handmade in the USA, but I also feel that if you're charging over $600 for a pair of boots, then the standards have to be higher. That's a LOT of money for shoes!

11. slide13

slide13 Senior member

not really a defect, just an artifact of the construction process. Those holes are from the nails used to tack the uppers to the last during the construction of the shoe. I'll be the first to admit that Alden has sloppy quality and finishing (still love em though) but I don't find that this falls into that category really as you can't get around the necessity for them.

12. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

+1 Plus, I don't consider myself microphobic but the crepe sole gets real nasty, real fast (like leave them outside the house nasty).

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

New today, #8 plain toe boot, Truebalance last, commando sole. Sort of an Indy minus a some stitching. Quite happy with the the look and the prospect of using them in circumstances in which I wouldn't use leather soles.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I picked up two pairs that have no trace of the hole. It seems like something that can be either mitigated or avoided if one tries.

15. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

The holes are there, they are just covered on the ones you looked at, as they are supposed to be, by the leather backing.

16. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

These pairs are split right up the back, so now wrap around heel piece, but I know what you're saying.

17. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

If I wear 7.5 in Fiorentini + Baker, what size Indys (Trubalance) should I get?
    thanks

18. Roggie Rog

Where did you get these?

19. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Probably a 7 but don't get too unhappy if you buy that size and they don't fit.

20. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

I just found it strange that it mainly happened on Tanker.
    I do hope that in the future, Alden can change the making process so that the hole can be covered up, at least by the backing maybe? (if possible)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.