• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My plan is to keep my collection at 6 Alden, 6 Viberg, and 6 misc other brands (Rancourt, GS, Benzein, etc…) so I don’t have to build a bigger boot shelf for the 3rd time in 4 months. To some folks in here that’s a week’s worth of shoe changes and others that’s enough to last a lifetime. I’ve bought and sold more boots this year than I dare to admit but everything I currently have, I really like and wear. I’ll be at my Viberg max next week, 3 Aldens with 2 coming in the spring (405 calf jumpers from Ealdwine, Color 4 shell Indy’s). Really hoping the sixth and final spot is a ravello pct Barrie jumper or whiskey Indy.

But if Alden miraculously gets into the horsebutt game then all bets are off.
You do what is right for you, this is a thread of Alden fans, but go with it right for your situation/closet/budget and all is good

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1729685

January: Your Alden Plans for the New Year
Gentlemen, believe it or not, but 2022 is upon us! So, I am restarting the monthly topic discussion idea and will put a valiant effort into doing a better job of keeping the momentum with this than I ended up doing last year!

To that extent, the first topic is intended to discuss your thoughts or ambitions with your shoe collection in 2022. Are you planning to buy more pairs or let go of some? Looking for particular models or open to what the Alden-verse generates. Let's share and maybe make some connections that you may not have made otherwise...

There is no rush on this, you have all month! So take the time that you need to put together your strategy! Please "Reply" to this Posting, for easier differentiation of responses to the monthly topic.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Mike
I don't really plan on adding any new Aldens. I've learned that none of the lasts really fit me too well. I'm kind of happy with my chukka boots and one pair of short wings from Brogue. I'm happy following this thread and seeing everyone else post their great shoes.

Not really Alden related. I'm thinking of letting go of some of my RtW John Lobb shoes since I have like 15 pairs and most of them don't really get worn anymore. I normally wear my bespoke JL shoes. My plans for 2022 is to complete my bespoke shoes from Nicholas Templeman and hopefully make my way to Paris to do my Corthay bespoke fitting. I would like to do another JL bespoke but pricing is just too high now,.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I'll likely shy away from dress shoes as new work arrangements have shifted, and even when going into the office, it is much more casual. The plan is to keep the total shoe/boot count the same but wouldn't mind mixing things up a bit.

I am not surprised to hear this and I am sure if we were to do a poll, we would see folks more trending towards casual makeups. I am in the office quite a bit and it is definitely more casual than it has ever been, especially with our senior management.

My plan is to keep my collection at 6 Alden, 6 Viberg, and 6 misc other brands (Rancourt, GS, Benzein, etc…) so I don’t have to build a bigger boot shelf for the 3rd time in 4 months. To some folks in here that’s a week’s worth of shoe changes and others that’s enough to last a lifetime. I’ve bought and sold more boots this year than I dare to admit but everything I currently have, I really like and wear. I’ll be at my Viberg max next week, 3 Aldens with 2 coming in the spring (405 calf jumpers from Ealdwine, Color 4 shell Indy’s). Really hoping the sixth and final spot is a ravello pct Barrie jumper or whiskey Indy.

But if Alden miraculously gets into the horsebutt game then all bets are off.

Good choice to stick within the scope of your storage. I know a few others who strictly adhere to this strategy as well! Sounds like you got a good collection going and some amazing stuff coming. Interesting thought on Alden using Horsebutt.

I don't really plan on adding any new Aldens. I've learned that none of the lasts really fit me too well. I'm kind of happy with my chukka boots and one pair of short wings from Brogue. I'm happy following this thread and seeing everyone else post their great shoes.

Not really Alden related. I'm thinking of letting go of some of my RtW John Lobb shoes since I have like 15 pairs and most of them don't really get worn anymore. I normally wear my bespoke JL shoes. My plans for 2022 is to complete get some more bespoke shoes from Nicholas Templeman and hopefully make my way to Paris to do my Corthay bespoke fitting. I would like to do another JL bespoke but pricing is just too high now,.

Glad that you have figured out what does and doesn’t work for you and hard to argue with bespoke shoes, especially if common RTW lasts aren’t working well for you!

-Mike

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1729685

Gentlemen, believe it or not, but 2022 is upon us! So, I am restarting the monthly topic discussion idea and will put a valiant effort into doing a better job of keeping the momentum with this than I ended up doing last year!

To that extent, the first topic is intended to discuss your thoughts or ambitions with your shoe collection in 2022. Are you planning to buy more pairs or let go of some? Looking for particular models or open to what the Alden-verse generates. Let's share and maybe make some connections that you may not have made otherwise...

There is no rush on this, you have all month! So take the time that you need to put together your strategy! Please "Reply" to this Posting, for easier differentiation of responses to the monthly topic.

Mike

I am two years removed from the office and my need for dress shoes has dropped off the map. I foresee selling some of my Alden dress shoes just to get them to someone who would really get more use out of them. Hampton last in 11 and 11.5eee. DM me if anyone is interested.

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
My 2022 plan is similar to some of you here. I’m primarily working from home and like to really wear my boots. So I’m going to trim it down to just 4 Alden pairs. Looking forward to my preorder of the AOM stitchup boots coming in spring.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1729685

Mike
I wear a very unusual shoe size that is never stocked, and so my participation in the Alden game is via preorders only, 100%. And that means that my Alden 2022 game plan is already largely locked in, via 2021 preorders. And I did order a few shoes in 2021 (not saying how many, as my wife may be reading.), but they will appear on these pages as they arrive.

As for future preorders, I have my eyes open for two things: a black shell loafer, either tassel or LHS; and a saddle oxford. Are saddle oxfords enjoying a little bit of a renaissance in Alden world? Brogue, Ealdwine and AOM are all stocking very tasty saddles presently. Earlier today, @Joe Schmoe posted a pair of the AOMs that are very nice. Anyway, assuming one of these shops runs another preorder for saddles in 2022, I hope to get on the list.

slows2k

Reaction score
2021 was a big Alden year for me, the current plan for 2022 is much lighter. Though we all know how that goes! I have three open preorders, including the Ealdwine Sedona smooth chamois Indy, and my primary target other than those is a versatile snuff boot.

Couple weeks left on my Madison Workshop model below, and if that doesn't fund I will likely put a deposit down on the B&M snuff Plaza Indy. Happy New Year!
View attachment 1729687

That's a great makeup, but if it doesn't get funded there is an almost identical one that dropped recently at Brogue.

Only difference is that its a PCT as far as I can tell. I stopped by recently and they're great looking boots.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red shoes.
The model is Ravello and it’s so red.
C984EAB6-EF63-4D00-BCCD-EBB16301F11A.jpeg

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1729685

Mike

I am still fixated on the Indys and a brief timeline leading up to 2022 is:

2017 - became aware of Alden and Indys in particular, but thought too expensive and out of budget

2020 - finally realising resistance is futile and ended up with 3x Indys - 405 Pumpkin, Natural CXL and FD-401

2021 - got lucky with Ravello Shell (1st and only shell so far) and Hunting Green Suede (1st & only suede) plus 2x preorders - Ealdwine/Navy Calfskin & Leather Soul/The Vintage Indy (Smooth Tobacco Chamois)

2022 - Plan is waiting on the 2021 preorders and also looking / hoping to add :
- AOM's Brown CXL Dirty Bones Indy (instead of stock 403), waiting for them to open pre-order for next run
- Colour 8 Indys hopefully on a flat welt to make it marginally dressier than storm welt (I have the chunky proportions to make them work as dress boots ?)
- Black Shell Indys with flat welt
- to remain optimistic (however misguided) & fingers crossed for grails - Whiskey, Cigar, Colour 4 Indys...the world runs on hope after all !!

Also looking forward to see some pictures in 2022 of Tan Nubuck Indys (AoC and B&M are running those I think)...

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mdubs - thanks for all of that very useful info at the beginning of this 2022 thread! I appreciate you keeping that info thorough and up-to-date.

2022 Alden Plans: Truth be told, my Alden 2021 plans were an absolute fail, as I added more models than I sold and I ended the year net positive 7 pairs. I have some pre-orders coming in Q1 and Q2. Ideally, I'd like to sell 7-10 models but it's been difficult deciding which pairs to sell. I'm most excited for Leffot's Greenwich boot in Reverse Tobacco Chamois, which I've been trying to score since 2011.

I'll return to the office sometime in 2022, so hopefully the Aldens get some more wear this year.

Good luck to all in their 2022 Alden adventures!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boots, boots, boots. Carry on.

IMG_1221 3.jpg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mdubs - thanks for all of that very useful info at the beginning of this 2022 thread! I appreciate you keeping that info thorough and up-to-date.

2022 Alden Plans: Truth be told, my Alden 2021 plans were an absolute fail, as I added more models than I sold and I ended the year net positive 7 pairs. I have some pre-orders coming in Q1 and Q2. Ideally, I'd like to sell 7-10 models but it's been difficult deciding which pairs to sell. I'm most excited for Leffot's Greenwich boot in Reverse Tobacco Chamois, which I've been trying to score since 2011.

I'll return to the office sometime in 2022, so hopefully the Aldens get some more wear this year.

Good luck to all in their 2022 Alden adventures!
I'm on the fence with those Leffot RTC Wingtip Boots...they look incredible, but I'm holding out for a Loden Suede Wingtip Boot. Came across a couple, but both placed were sold out of my size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynanmeldelserno1