• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAK

Reaction score
Is this your first wear for those Arabica Lux boots? How do they age? They have similar pull-up properties like CXL?
Not a pull up leather like CXL although they share a couple properties otherwise regarding how they wear after some beating up. Here's a post I did last week for those curious about what to expect.

Cruzin56

Reaction score
Happy Saturday. Color 8 wingtips boots from Yenni.
B0127815-8043-4683-A727-54840E182AEC.jpeg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a pull up leather like CXL although they share a couple properties otherwise regarding how they wear after some beating up. Here's a post I did last week for those curious about what to expect.
Following you on IG, now! Thanks, Brett, for sharing this post! Can't wait for my Arabica Lux plain toe boots from Louie to arrive!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I very much like the firm feel of the 405 leather. However, my selection of available Alden footwear that would provide me a proper fit is very limited. The 405 last , upper pattern, and leather material for me is the best fit I've found, truly perfect.. I expect the 401 , due to the softer leather, will over time result in a looser fit. But it's still probably better than the fit I could get with any other Alden shoe/boot model.
I am 12.5 B in the Indy boot. In other Alden styles I've tried 12C and 13B, but not achieved a proper fit.
Going forward I've had on order for more than 6 months a pair of the 404 Kudu leather Indy boot. Hopefully the fit will be good for me, but I've never tried on a pair of that model. Also I've considered ordering from the regular special make-up runs of Color 8 Indy boots w/neocork sole but am not sure how the shell fits compared to 405 Mahogany leather, so I've not yet ordered a pair of those.
The 405 size 12.5B fit for me is perfect length, snug at the ball width and across the forefoot, and when laced there still remains a gap between the eyelet stays. If the leather used is too soft then the ball width fit loses its snugness and when laced the eyelet stays come together, touching each other. So that's my concern/question about Indy boots produced with CXL, or, Kudu, or shell.
It's funny how different materials can impact the fit. I have a couple pair of 405's, the old Pumpkin color and the "new" brown, both fit well, but the newer pair feels "softer" than the older pair, even though the older pair has significantly more wears. Just me, but I find the fit to be about the same across the Indy boot TB lasted family, same lace gap, same general feel.

DG123

Reaction score
It's funny how different materials can impact the fit. I have a couple pair of 405's, the old Pumpkin color and the "new" brown, both fit well, but the newer pair feels "softer" than the older pair, even though the older pair has significantly more wears. Just me, but I find the fit to be about the same across the Indy boot TB lasted family, same lace gap, same general feel.

I concur; my 9 year old pumpkin 405 definitely has a firmer/harder leather touch-feel than my one year old pair of "new brown" 405's.

DG123

Reaction score

My intention is not to bash any footwear brand or footwear industry material supplier, but I do believe the trend of additives-to-leather is a way to utilize lesser quality grade leather material, yet still charge premium leather prices.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My intention is not to bash any footwear brand or footwear industry material supplier, but I do believe the trend of additives-to-leather is a way to utilize lesser quality grade leather material, yet still charge premium leather prices.
CXL is not exactly a new trend.......

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads