• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok I'm officially sold on the sun fading. Going to try it this summer.

Also, is that the toe stiffener showing through?
I have a pair of color 8 NST's that are in the process of sun fading, started last fall, but winter got in the way so to speak. They still go outdoors on sunny days, but around here, those are few in winter....starting to fade, another couple of weeks in full on spring/summer sun should really accelerate the fading....

nws

Reaction score
New Indy’s arrived today. Natural CXL (AOC-94). Going to enjoy the patina that develops over time.

CD1FB785-17A8-45FC-949F-9E31290AD427.jpeg
8B9E903F-F412-4EA7-867A-1A896684A973.jpeg
7767FA59-D774-4DDB-9A59-F461C8D581E8.jpeg

nws

Reaction score
Those are beautiful. Have that sole on a pair of boots (not Indy) and it is incredibly comfortable for walking. Great boot!
The boots are very light with this sole. The CXL soft leather and sole combined are so comfortable out of the box. They are built for some serious miles for sure.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The boots are very light with this sole. The CXL soft leather and sole combined are so comfortable out of the box. They are built for some serious miles for sure.
I've put a lot of miles on mine, and they show very little signs of wear, although they have darkened in color a bit.

Caligula77

Reaction score
I’ve been having a love affair with plain toe boots recently. I’ve had some in the past, but sold them. I’m back on the wagon now. Just picked up TSM plain toe color 8 on Barrie. I really like the 270 storm welt with the “heel forward”, giving into more presence in the heel area than the typical 270 welt, but not as much heft as the 360 reverse welt. A very well balanced makeup IMO.
View attachment 1345093
“The eyes, Chico, they neber lie”.TM

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BAK

Reaction score
Ok I'm officially sold on the sun fading. Going to try it this summer.

Also, is that the toe stiffener showing through?
Good question, but no, not the toe stiffener. I used rubber bands to preserve a faux cap toe line. If you look up at the collar of the boots you'll see I preserved a line there as well. Just a couple little design details I thought I'd have fun with. Depending on the light sometimes you don't notice the lines at all, and other times they're pretty evident.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Ok, please be honest here.
How many of you wear your cordovan boots/shoes out in the rain, snow or slush? I am an oldtimer here. I recall reading that if cordovan gets wet, it will bubble at the spots. Just need to wait for it to dry and buff it with a cloth and they will be gone. Nevermind the blooom. How about salt stains? Same way we treat regular leather shoes? A bit of vinegar and water and some elbow grease? Boots/shoes are meant to be worn, but I also want to "baby" them. You are spending a fair bit of $$ on them afterall.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, please be honest here.
How many of you wear your cordovan boots/shoes out in the rain, snow or slush? I am an oldtimer here. I recall reading that if cordovan gets wet, it will bubble at the spots. Just need to wait for it to dry and buff it with a cloth and they will be gone. Nevermind the blooom. How about salt stains? Same way we treat regular leather shoes? A bit of vinegar and water and some elbow grease? Boots/shoes are meant to be worn, but I also want to "baby" them. You are spending a fair bit of $$ on them afterall.
I do, though we admittedly don't get much around here. Since I've got so many shells they're not as precious to me.
Yeah, there can be some water marks, but a bit of time or a full soak evens everything out. That's the thing to remember... Them getting soaked is going to result in less spotting than getting caught in a drizzle.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Alden Bros, have you had any issues with TSA lines and steel shanked shoes/boots? I intend to take a pair for a quick in/out trip where I want to pack light, without additional shoes. Of course I'd intend to do the usual take shoes off and let them go through the x-ray.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi Alden Bros, have you had any issues with TSA lines and steel shanked shoes/boots? I intend to take a pair for a quick in/out trip where I want to pack light, without additional shoes. Of course I'd intend to do the usual take shoes off and let them go through the x-ray.
If you are taking them off, there shouldn't be any issues. I have had problems when I didn't take off steel shank shoes, even in the TSA pre-check line, had to take them off anyway and go through the thing again, not a big deal, but........Certainly no where near the issue we had when the wife tried to get a cheese knife set (bought on vacation) through pre-check in her carryon bag......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads