• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started the day in some C&J PTB. I like the look of them in scotch grain, but they are just not comfortable. In self defense I switched to Alden on commando and it was just like putting on tennis shoes in comparison. I will be listing the C&Js.

42BE13C3-A5D1-496D-A5FE-60B6AB379BCF.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started the day in some C&J PTB. I like the look of them in scotch grain, but they are just not comfortable. In self defense I switched to Alden on commando and it was just like putting on tennis shoes in comparison. I will be listing the C&Js.

View attachment 1296084
I totally understand your reasoning. The Aldens look awesome BTW.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score

View attachment 1296084
Sad to hear that Doc. All of that work on the Grasmere soles...

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, need some advice. Just got this pair of Alden shell boots in the mail from eBay. After examining, I found what I think is the upper starting to separate from the welt on the outside of the foot, near the arch of my foot.

What I can't tell is if it's torn shell or it just needs to be rewelted and good to go. Unless you stretch the leather, you can't see what I've taken a photo of. It's not a critical point of stretching, but I certainly don't want torn leather. However, if it's just loose welt threads I'd wear them until they got worse then resole.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20191209_165120815_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191209_165115230_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191209_165353983_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191209_165124302_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191209_165131263_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191209_165115230_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191209_165115230_HDR.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 7

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, need some advice. Just got this pair of Alden shell boots in the mail from eBay. After examining, I found what I think is the upper starting to separate from the welt on the outside of the foot, near the arch of my foot.

What I can't tell is if it's torn shell or it just needs to be rewelted and good to go. Unless you stretch the leather, you can't see what I've taken a photo of. It's not a critical point of stretching, but I certainly don't want torn leather. However, if it's just loose welt threads I'd wear them until they got worse then resole.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 1296139 View attachment 1296138 View attachment 1296144 View attachment 1296145 View attachment 1296146

I can see what I think is the gemming, but I honestly don't see any torn leather. I'm not finding any torn piece/hole where the welt ripped free of the shell, which I think is a good sign.

I'm not a cobbler and I've never taken apart a shoe so I can't quite tell what's going on. My photos aren't the greatest since it's so small and up close...

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Prof, hard to argue with the classic 986! But they even look better with the patina added!

Looking superb Galileo in your Suede Tassels! Wow, can't believe it is getting warmer for you already!!!

Fantastic choice today Dog, those Tankers are just marvelous!

Still rocking it bud!

Alden x Leffot alpine grain for the Minnesota snow today
View attachment 1295788 View attachment 1295789

Fantastic and truly durable WT Boots right there. They are looking great!

9751 and navy gabardine for a conservative morning meeting.

RyzDyqo.jpg

DuDrsRi.jpg

X8W9A1x.jpg

CMT, the Black Shell Wing is a thing of beauty and yours are a great example! Love them today on you!

Don, those AG Alt Wien's are just a superb design. Love them!!! Great socks too!

Some Regina grain on a Monday.
View attachment 1295919

Wow, it was apparently Grain Day today! Looking great in your RG PCT Boots!

I think I have those in brown. I’m posting a pic for you to compare. I got them on amazon. I’ll check my orders and send you a link. Check you inbox later.
View attachment 1295979 View attachment 1295981

DWH, those are two just marvelous looking Indy Boots. The King Indy's are pretty hard to top!

View attachment 1296084

Sorry to hear about your C&J PTBs! It is indeed a hard comparison to go from a Stiff Leather Sole to the Commando! :)

Very rainy day in Gotham. Reverse earth chamois from AoC get the call.
View attachment 1296116

Saz, those Reverse Chamois Indy Boots are just killing it! Love them bud!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Family pictures
Episode 2
Cigar

View attachment 1295926

View attachment 1295928

Top row: Madison CT, Anatomica PT, Epaulet Indy, Leather Soul Wingtip, leffot Tanker.

View attachment 1295927

Bottom row: LHS, Shoe Mart NST, Harrison Tassels, A of Carmel LWB.

Dude, just an absolute stunning collection of Cigars! All of those are just magic. I gotta say, those old LS WT Boots are unstoppable. It is pretty amazing to see the Cigar color variation in your collection as well! Just nice work!!!

-Mike

CMT1

Reaction score
Severely underrated and underrepresented model here! I can feel my wallet itching to get this pair to round out my longwings....

Thank you! They're a great option when I want to wear something of quality that I love, but don't want a lot of attention drawn to my shoes. Plus they are ridiculously comfortable at this point and I can put as many daily miles on them as needed without even a hint of foot fatigue.

CMT, the Black Shell Wing is a thing of beauty and yours are a great example! Love them today on you!

Appreciate it my man and I hope all is well, as always!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Savvy.. I would flip muy pronto at a discount and move on.. this is why I don't shop the Bay

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! They're a great option when I want to wear something of quality that I love, but don't want a lot of attention drawn to my shoes. Plus they are ridiculously comfortable at this point and I can put as many daily miles on them as needed without even a hint of foot fatigue.

Appreciate it my man and I hope all is well, as always!

Totally agree!

Savvy.. I would flip muy pronto at a discount and move on.. this is why I don't shop the Bay

Thanks, chip! There are many good deals to be had on eBay if one is watching. I've picked up quite a few good/rare(r) ones for cheap.

That said, eBay has one's back if things go poorly...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore weather shoes for slushy Toronto and looking at Grad school with my eldest spawn
yjPhfNj.jpg

We're now in Chicago for the same reason. I'm hoping to grab a few minutes in Leffot tomorrow Wed. AM, but both are looking sketchy and the 6PM closing time makes an evening visit impossible. (scheduled with the school from 1-5PM both days, leaving Wed. PM.).
JHADfC.gif

Would love to have found a way to hang with some of the Chicago-area peeps, but our schedule is kinda crap, and packed... :(

Both pairs I have along are from Leffot (the 2012/14 #8 Naval boots are the others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads