• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I just purchased my first Alden boot from TheShoeMart: Indy (86968HC) Color 8, TB Last, 270 Flat Welt, Antique Edge, Commando Sole. These were purchased as Seconds but they look like NOS Firsts (Y/M code 9A).

First, should I be concerned that these boots are 10.5 years old? The leather, lining, edges and soles all look great. No signs of drying, cracking or anything visible to me.

Second, they came without shoe bags. If I contact TSM, do you believe they would rectify this matter.

Fit is great and I would like to keep them, but I don’t want to make an expensive mistake, especially on my first Alden purchase.
Congrats! Sounds like a great boot - need pics!

First, are you sure they're 10 years old, and not made earlier this year? Second, there's a huge market for vintage shoes; there's guys on the vintage thread wearing shoes from the as far back as 40s (that in some cases started as NOS). Some conditioning of the uppers/insides would be a good idea if they are in fact 10 years old, but I wouldn't hesitate to daily wear.

I wouldn't expect seconds to come with bags; you can always buy some if you need them from Alden or generic ones.

bigdreams

Reaction score
Pics...
4FB6B616-76F1-4F37-8A05-ADD4809DD026.jpeg
4FB6B616-76F1-4F37-8A05-ADD4809DD026.jpeg
C94CA8A8-C8BC-4FBE-A730-2DCC56D13E74.jpeg
4159574C-D684-475A-A5BE-A68AEE6B82FA.jpeg
D36FACD0-3260-47F1-ACFD-2C05E5742020.jpeg

bigdreams

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies.

The reason I thought they might be NOS, when I called TSM CS to see if she could verify the edge color (photo was black), she looked it up in the system and said they were really old but they have sold many in the past. Either way looks like I’m good!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cassadine

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies.

The reason I thought they might be NOS, when I called TSM CS to see if she could verify the edge color (photo was black), she looked it up in the system and said they were really old but they have sold many in the past. Either way looks like I’m good!

I'm wondering of they have any more. I really like the welt on that, as well.

schuermang

Reaction score
Hey all! Pretty new to the GYW scene, trying my hand at some Vibergs and want to expand my collection with some Aldens soon. Can anyone comment on the 2030 last compared to Barrie/Trubalance? I'm essentially a 10E on a brannock, as my right foot is bigger than my left. Thanks!

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Pretty new to the GYW scene, trying my hand at some Vibergs and want to expand my collection with some Aldens soon. Can anyone comment on the 2030 last compared to Barrie/Trubalance? I'm essentially a 10E on a brannock, as my right foot is bigger than my left. Thanks!
I'm usually a 9.5E or a 10D; my Barrie Oxfords are 9E and fit me to a T. My 2030s are size 9 and feel considerably roomier in the toe box (both heighth and width) and a little bit looser in the heel than the Barries.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the same size with Barrie/trubalance as 2030.

I find that they go from narrow to wide in this order : Barrie>2030>Trubalance

A 10B/D tubalance is wide and might fit fine while you’ll definitely want to get a 10C/E Barrie.

schuermang

Reaction score
I get the same size with Barrie/trubalance as 2030.

I find that they go from narrow to wide in this order : Barrie>2030>Trubalance

A 10B/D tubalance is wide and might fit fine while you’ll definitely want to get a 10C/E Barrie.

Interesting, I'm rocking a 9.5 now on the 2030 and think that's the best fitting boot I've ever had. So a 10E on the Barrie is what I need you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads