• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tobacco nubuck with lugged soles
pBw2ApBjRL6ub213ZEeH3g_thumb_3a8b.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can ask Alden, but for many of them, I have learned which retailers have offered which model numbers, either from owning the shoe, seeing them offered at the retailers over the years or from asking Alden -- I know a significant amount of the model numbers by memory - style, last, retailer, etc. -- not sure how many, but it would be a fun thought experiment to get a list of every model number Alden has ever made and try to see if I know it by memory...

Googling it helps, but there is a lot of misinformation out there. David (of vcleat fame) started a website (aldenmodelproject.com) which scrapes eBay data to compile a database of model number information, which I am helping him with, but sometimes (often) eBay sellers get their own info wrong.

There are also hints within the model numbers themselves. Alden uses generally similar numbering conventions, and there is a method to the madness.
The wealth of Alden knowledge here never ceases to amaze me. Your knowledge of model number/retailer is something to record for future generations of Alden fans, as some of these shoes/boots will outlast us if cared for properly. Thank you for your response!

macher

Reaction score
Hi all would like to know others opinion when ordering Alden’s online. Just received a pair of 404’s and they look like someone tried them on because of the creases. When I buy shoes online and try them on I don’t walk around in them because I know if I do they’ll crease and if I decide the fit isn’t good don’t want to return a pair of creases boots. You should almost know right away if they fit. I know they’ll crease but want them to be my creases.

Contacted the seller Alden of Madison and they said they possibly were tried on briefly in the store.

Yea I’m being nit picky.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all would like to know others opinion when ordering Alden’s online. Just received a pair of 404’s and they look like someone tried them on because of the creases. When I buy shoes online and try them on I don’t walk around in them because I know if I do they’ll crease and if I decide the fit isn’t good don’t want to return a pair of creases boots. You should almost know right away if they fit. I know they’ll crease but want them to be my creases.

Contacted the seller Alden of Madison and they said they possibly were tried on briefly in the store.

Yea I’m being nit picky.

I have NO Alden retailers anywhere within a 4 hour drive, so I order online for 90% of my Aldens. I wouldn't let those creases bother me in the least, are you sure that isn't just loose grain in the CXL? If they fit, and you like them, and they were priced acceptable to you, wear them in good health and enjoy. You will create your own creasing/dings/scrapes as they age.

macher

Reaction score
I have NO Alden retailers anywhere within a 4 hour drive, so I order online for 90% of my Aldens. I wouldn't let those creases bother me in the least, are you sure that isn't just loose grain in the CXL? If they fit, and you like them, and they were priced acceptable to you, wear them in good health and enjoy. You will create your own creasing/dings/scrapes as they age.

It’s Horween Kudu.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals.

40E3563B-8512-4DD0-B63D-338B9E7E9D31.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s Horween Kudu.
Yeah, they've been tried on, but you're going to crease them too. 404's are going to crease even more so, I'd expect. Unless you're planning on having them unworn on display, I don't see the problem with signs of try on unless they're egregious and have smashed the toe or something.

I get that it's a lot of money, but they're SHOES people! They're going to show signs of wear if you wear them.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, they've been tried on, but you're going to crease them too. 404's are going to crease even more so, I'd expect. Unless you're planning on having them unworn on display, I don't see the problem with signs of try on unless they're egregious and have smashed the toe or something.

I get that it's a lot of money, but they're SHOES people! They're going to show signs of wear if you wear them.
+100

bik2101

Reaction score
anyone here size their boots differently? I'm somewhat in between sizes on the barrie between a 6d and 6e (no boots.. yet). Was mentioning this with Mack over at Brogue because I'm considering getting their cognac tankers possibly in the 6e size they have, but he actually said if I am a 6E in my shoes/lace-ups, then in the boots I should probably be a 6.5D. anyone do this as well between their boots and shoes?

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a pair of Color 8 Indys on neocork inbound. Been wanting to pick up a pair for a while now and while I would have slightly preferred commando on an Indy makeup it will at least add some variety to my Alden sole collection. Now if I could just get over the look of crepe.
Neocork with that 270 welt is my favorite. I’ve had two Indy’s on commando and I prefer neocork. Then again, I don’t walk in snow... ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads