• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as long as both parties are consenting. Me? I'm a polygamous shoe lover.
Doc
I believe both parties are consenting. The boot does complain about being stepped on all the time but the compliments received out way the downside.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden of D.C. Antique over commando. Kathy is phenomenal to deal with.

Nice. I've been contemplating getting some color 8 shell boots in the near future. My only color 8 shoes are Rancourt shell loafers currently in production. While I also covet your Rancourt natural longwings, I have so many light color wingtip bluchers that it would probably be redundant at this point.

Ideally I'd love some Ravello Barrie wingtip boots but that's a pipe dream. Color 8 wingtip boots would be great, especially with an antique edge.

Which laces are those?

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. I've been contemplating getting some color 8 shell boots in the near future. My only color 8 shoes are Rancourt shell loafers currently in production. While I also covet your Rancourt natural longwings, I have so many light color wingtip bluchers that it would probably be redundant at this point.

Ideally I'd love some Ravello Barrie wingtip boots but that's a pipe dream. Color 8 wingtip boots would be great, especially with an antique edge.

Which laces are those?

They are TZ waxed laces on amazon. I like them because they are the closest to Alden width. They are a pinch wider but do the job. They ship from the east but arrival times are very fast.
My next Alden boot will probably be cap toe medallion #8 plaza last from shoe mart but I did complete my custom order for Rancourt boots yesterday:
Wingtip boot
Espresso Shell Cordovan.
Shiny brass eyelets
Mini half sole
Natural midsole welt and stitch.

Last edited:

AMD500

Reaction score
They are TZ waxed laces on amazon. I like them because they are the closest to Alden width. They are a pinch wider but do the job. They ship from the east but arrival times are very fast.
My next Alden boot will probably be cap toe medallion #8 plaza last from shoe mart but I did complete my custom order for Rancourt boots yesterday:
Wingtip boot
Espresso
Shiny brass eyelets
Mini half sole
Natural midsole welt and stitch.

Those sounds great! how do you find the Rancourt boots compare to Alden? Do they do Horween shell?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those sounds great! how do you find the Rancourt boots compare to Alden? Do they do Horween shell?

Rancourt definitely does Horween shell.

I was planning on getting a pair of the natural shell one tip boots from Rancourt as a backup option to MTO natural shell AE Daltons. Was able to get the Daltons so I never did pull the trigger on the Rancourt boots.

Very eager to hear how the Rancourts are.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I amended my post. They are espresso shell Cordovan which I'm guessing equals Alden's cigar. Cannot comment on the comparison as this will be my first boot from them but my Rancourt natural shell LWB's are great.

AMD500

Reaction score
I amended my post. They are espresso shell Cordovan which I'm guessing equals Alden's cigar. Cannot comment on the comparison as this will be my first boot from them but my Rancourt natural shell LWB's are great.

Sounds great! how much did they run you? Please be sure to post them on this thread once you get them...I'm sure the Alden purists will let it slide in the same of science.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stitching is nice. I've read that most people like the NST in the Aberdeen or Plaza lasts. What about the Truebalance last? Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BAJvs

Honestly, I prefer the Barrie NST the most, but Plaza better than Aberdeen for me. After that would be the TB treatment, mainly because I think the squared look is a little less graceful than the rounded toe stitching in other lasts.

The hand-stitch shape of the toe is the same for NST or Indy, so the main question is whether you like the front stitch. In my case, I definitely like the visual interest and look of the NST better here. I have a natty CXL Indy with the machine stitching that I like fine, but for some reason the hand-stitched Indy just doesn't do it for me - I'd do an NST every time.

I'd keep 'em. I'm a huge fan of the Alden Commando sole too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads