• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattw

Reaction score
I picked them up from TSM irregulars, and they were noticeably smaller than the other 8.5E Barrie's I have, although happily the suede is now stretching. Is inconsistency of fit a problem with Alden's between shoes or boots on the same last and of the same size?

I have the Leffot version of these in green, and they are also noticeably smaller than my same sized unlined Dovers. IIRC there was speculation that the flat welt vs split reverse welt contributes to the sizing. In my case, I also wonder how much lined vs. unlined does- I do not yet have another pair of Aldens on Barrie lined.

Nice boots!

Edit: there is also the saga of the JCrew Color 8 PCT boots being a half size down from everything else Barrie (or not)

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that chamois and suede tend to run a little bit more snug than other materials (especially shell). Not quite for me to change sizes, but close, especially if it's a snug fit in shell already.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome @LatAm apologize for bringing you down the rabbit hole... ;-) Those boots look superb sir!

I personally don't have any issues with sizing between boots and shoes, but some go up a size for boots.

-Mike

Many thanks @mdubs! No apologies necessary, enjoying the Alden's enormously!

Up until this pair of boots, as you say, sizing seemed the same between shoes and boots. I have 8.5E Barrie's in PTB's and also Indy boots, and the fit has really worked well for me in both cases. However, this new pair, also 8.5E Barrie's, feel like they are at least half a size smaller than the other two.

My question was more if anyone has found that Alden fit can be inconsistent, even between identical last and size?

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks @mdubs! No apologies necessary, enjoying the Alden's enormously!

Up until this pair of boots, as you say, sizing seemed the same between shoes and boots. I have 8.5E Barrie's in PTB's and also Indy boots, and the fit has really worked well for me in both cases. However, this new pair, also 8.5E Barrie's, feel like they are at least half a size smaller than the other two.

My question was more if anyone has found that Alden fit can be inconsistent, even between identical last and size?
Some leathers will take to the last more tightly than others. Shell being as dense as it is tends to fit a little roomier versus calfskin/suede softer leathers.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the Leffot version of these in green, and they are also noticeably smaller than my same sized unlined Dovers. IIRC there was speculation that the flat welt vs split reverse welt contributes to the sizing. In my case, I also wonder how much lined vs. unlined does- I do not yet have another pair of Aldens on Barrie lined.

Nice boots!

Edit: there is also the saga of the JCrew Color 8 PCT boots being a half size down from everything else Barrie (or not)
I see the comments about different fit on lined vs unlined. I think I might formally ask a manufacturer about that. To my mind, since the liner would have to be sown to the upper before it is lasted there shouldn't be any sizing differences?

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice boots!

I find that chamois and suede tend to run a little bit more snug than other materials (especially shell). Not quite for me to change sizes, but close, especially if it's a snug fit in shell already.

Thanks guys! Given that people do talk about suede stretching over time, has your experience been that they end up just the same as non suede more conventionally sized pairs? Mine have definitely given a bit in the first six or eight wears, but still quite a bit tighter than my other Barrie's.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see the comments about different fit on lined vs unlined. I think I might formally ask a manufacturer about that. To my mind, since the liner would have to be sown to the upper before it is lasted there shouldn't be any sizing differences?

I don't understand it either. But I did try some unlined shell dovers in 11 EEE on the Barrie last. They were were too tight, whereas the shell LWBs on the Barrie in 11 EEE were fine. It is my understanding that Yenni said the unlined fit tighter. It does not make sense to me, but it was certainly true in my case.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand it either. But I did try some unlined shell dovers in 11 EEE on the Barrie last. They were were too tight, whereas the shell LWBs on the Barrie in 11 EEE were fine. It is my understanding that Yenni said the unlined fit tighter. It does not make sense to me, but it was certainly true in my case.
Unlined leather will take to the last tighter.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unlined leather will take to the last tighter.
Gotcha. That makes sense. Making a tighter fit, which can then somewhat be fixed after the purchase with increased stretching provided by the unlined leather.

Thanks!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a heads up for the 11.5 EEE people, I am going to list a pair of black calf 961 NST shoes on Ebay. I still have fit issues on this Aberdeen last and I am calling it quits after 8-10 wears. PM me if interested and we can avoid the Bay.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3081.JPG
Enjoy your weekend Gents.. BB Black Shell Tassel .. love these..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads