• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is what work looks like so far today. My broken toe is appreciating TrueBalance today...

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D.C. Cigar Caps
33fb6d3cdbed1f83973d21b28ff61895.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful! Have you found that boots with all eyelets are faster, slower, or same to get on & off compared with speed hooks?

well they're not called "slow hooks" ;)

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful! Have you found that boots with all eyelets are faster, slower, or same to get on & off compared with speed hooks?

Significantly slower. Especially once you learn how to do the hooks the fast way (hold both laces in one hand and zig zag them up the boots).

docalden2013

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I would say that the all-eyelet setup is a major factor in why these nearly two-year-old boots have such little wear (the minor issue is that I tend to prefer my barrie- and plaza-lasted pairs for my primarily business casual day-to-day outfits). I've actually thought about converting a number of my all-eyelet Alden boots to speedhooks (I'm looking at you, Ironside Indys and LS Plaza Color 8 WT boots...).

Speaking of which: who do y'all prefer for eyelet-to-speedhook conversions and/or for installing brass eyelets? Is BNelson still the go-to? What about Brian the Bootmaker? I feel like there was a third heavy hitter (maybe Randy the Cobbler?). Sidebar: not sure why they end up having names reminiscent of WWF wrestlers like Brutus the Barber Beefcake. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

docalden2013

Reaction score
Outstanding @docalden2013
Thanks, Don! You kill it every day and never repeat combos. Makes it hard to feel like I can contribute to this fine thread or the Ep thread. I've been laying low and playing it safe by simply buying Engineered Garments and plagiarizing everyone's ideas on the EG thread or wearing japanese raw denim on the weekends with Merz B Schwanen henleys and Real Mccoys repro outerwear for the low maintenance capsule wardrobe.

Quick unrelated random thought: I'm in the middle of a Marie Kondo-inspired cleanout of my wardrobe. How many 8.5D/8E Barrie peeps are on here? Thinking of liberating some never-worn pairs GRATIS as long as I trust that they will end better loved and used in a nice home. For starters, there's an 8E Leffot tobacco chammy Greenwich boot chillin in the basement that has not gotten minutes in any game in the last almost two years. There may be some random AEs too.

bustert

Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words. I would say that the all-eyelet setup is a major factor in why these nearly two-year-old boots have such little wear (the minor issue is that I tend to prefer my barrie- and plaza-lasted pairs for my primarily business casual day-to-day outfits). I've actually thought about converting a number of my all-eyelet Alden boots to speedhooks (I'm looking at you, Ironside Indys and LS Plaza Color 8 WT boots...).

Speaking of which: who do y'all prefer for eyelet-to-speedhook conversions and/or for installing brass eyelets? Is BNelson still the go-to? What about Brian the Bootmaker? I feel like there was a third heavy hitter (maybe Randy the Cobbler?). Sidebar: not sure why they end up having names reminiscent of WWF wrestlers like Brutus the Barber Beefcake. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. I will therefore probably keep the J Crew 405 Indys and pass on B&Ms cxl Pacman all eyelet Indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads