• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rstldr

Reaction score

Hi all, do you guys go tots on van lasted lhs? Thanks in advance for your help

I think most size down a half size on van from TTS. So, a 10.5 TTS would order a 10. Hope that helps.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't compete with @MrDV and the Mayor @mdubs but here is my start of 2016 Alden family portrait.

Back Row: Tan LHS, Snuff Chukka, NATCXL PTB, 403 Indy, Reverse Chamois Leffot Greenwich
Front Row: Whiskey PTB, Whiskey LHS, Ravello LWB, Color 8 LWB, Color 8 Leffot Tanker
great family portrait. details on the floor please (we're hoping to upgrade our floors)
thanks for sharing your collection.
Happy New Year to all.
Three new arrivals, three different lasts. Time for a comparison pic...
Leffot Naval Boot-Barrie, B&M WTB-Grant, Fransboone Dr. Jones-Plaza.

really nice way to start the year. i like the crispy clean look.

Next time I have the house to myself, I'll get a family photo. When I bring out all of my shoes at once, my wife rolls her eyes so much that she's liable to start cramping up.
word.
i should have taken more group photos yesterday. my wife was at work, perfect weather, and my daughter helped me with the shoes. today we had rain and my daughter was back at school.
angry.gif

Cigar gunboats today.
one of alden's best. you wear them well.
#4 for the 4th.
i love those boots.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most size down a half size on van from TTS. So, a 10.5 TTS would order a 10. Hope that helps.

Agreed and to this I will add that many also go down a width (many do not). Also, as has been mentioned in the past (but never before on the 2016 thread!), the van is a tricky last for many people, much better to try on first. Nailing down your sizing with the van lasted loafers involves making sure the vamp isn't too tight and that the heel isn't too loose. Less forgiving than a lace-up shoe or boot.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mdubs and @MrDv have such great Alden collections I don't even get jealous, they're just on a different, very inspirational, level.

YOWZA
wonderful collection Mr.DV!

Awesome, awesome collections gents!

The good thing about resetting this thread yearly is that it will be a nice reminder of the impending annual end-of-Jan Alden price increase.

ffffuuuu.gif

Insanity!!

Very nice D! Lovely collection that you have there.

-Mike

Wow..super collection!
Must save these pics for reference.

thanks for the kind words gentlemen.

getsituated

Reaction score
For those of you that own the unlined chukkas on Leydon, how much did they stretch? I tried on a D width and there was just enough material for the widest part of my foot. The fit was not painful, but the suede was hugging on.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Cigar gunboats today.

Lovely color on your Cigars. Also great looking slacks with them.

#4 for the 4th.

Those are just stellar Zippy. Good combo to bring out their red with those pants.

Joining up for 2016! Happy New Year all. Great work Mike!

Color 8 for BB (excuse doggie hair)

A lot of people love Cigar or Color #4, but that picture with those Color #8 tassels is just superb. Love the dog hair addition... :)

Friends, be happy for me. Today was Alden Longwing Day. My special order color 8 975s shipped from the fabulous Kathy in DC, and I put a deposit down on the green suede LWB from the equally fabulous Yenni.

Hooray.

Congratulations Mr. Saxophone. Wear them in good health.

Hi all, do you guys go tots on van lasted lhs? Thanks in advance for your help

I size down from 10.5C (TTS) to 10C on the LHS. I interestingly enough wear 10.5B on the Barrie vice 10C. The Van is a 3-Dimensional problem, and thus conventional sizing advice doesn't always apply depending up your foot and instep.

-Mike

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd love to, however, I lack any sort of musical talent. You wouldn't even want me on air guitar
1f609.png
. I do enjoy a wide range of genres. What do you play and what type of music? Anything we can listen to?

PM sent so as not to shamelessly promote OT ;)

Alpina

Reaction score
My suede chukkas were like that for about a day, maybe a week.

Was there no extra space at you also? It was what you'd call a literal perfect fit for me, but a little tight for something like shoes.
It's a low volume last, so they were snug across the vamp, but just right everywhere else, including the length. Another thing to consider is that I bought them in -store on Madison Avenue in winter, so I was likely wearing a slightly heavier sock. Still, they broke in to accommodate my foot perfectly, and they are my most comfortable spring/summer shoe. With thin or no socks, they are perfectly loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads