• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

McQ7

Reaction score
Just today I got in a pair of barely worn original 405 Indy boots. They fit my foot much better than the chromexcel 403 version, which is best with thick People Socks. The 405's more structured, less stretchy leather allows me to wear non-cushioned Darn Tough dress socks and the facings are snug and not touching. I could wear slightly thicker socks, as well, for cooler weather. If I wear those non-cushioned socks with the 403 version my feet are floating and the facings touch. This is all great, since I would like to be able to wear Indy boots in all but 90 degree + weather.

However, these 405 boots from late 2017 are not my favorite shade of brown. They aren't really tan and they aren't really orange, but I recall Indy fans years back complaining about the "pumpkin" color and that's all that comes to mind when I look at these.

Does anyone have experience using shoe cream to get the 405 model to lean towards a better-looking color? Darker, browner?

SirArthur

Reaction score
Good Morning everybody

6 years ago, I was in the US and my shoes were broken. I went to a shore store in San Fransisco to buy a pair of new shoes. I can't remember the name of the store, but today I think it was the Alden store. The store looked nice and I went in.

I was looking for a nice shoe for daly wearing. The guy showed me some boots and explained me that these are working boots. They looked quite nice and have been very comfortable. I still have the picture I sent to my girlfriend. I did not really like the white line around the shoe. But they were comfortable and I decided to buy them as I needed new shoes.

Now, 6 years later, a friend of mine asked me about these boots, which I wear daly for my hobbies, walking, hiking, playing golf and working in the garden, as the seller told me, these are working boots, made for worker. My friend asked me about the brand, which I actually didn't know. We realized that the brand name is Alden and the boots are named Indy (after some research). When googling for the shoe you find a lot of stories etc. about the shoes (which is strange, but I understand now). I also found this forum, where a lot of people write about theire experience with Alden shoes and Indy boots.

Today, I cared my boots a little bit with Swiss shoe cream (Burgol). And the boots still look quite nice after 6 years of wearing for working. I actually abused them. But you can use a good shoe for everything, otherwise it wouldn't be a good quality shoe.

I attach also some pictures of my shoes after cleaning and polishing. They still look damn good. I might never need to buy a new pair. This is my first posting ever, and mybe my last. Strange to write about shoes. But as I realizied that so many people write about theire alte shoes and indy boots I decided to write my story as well.

And for everybody who is thinking about buying a pair of indy boots, you will not regret it. It kind of an investment. YOU SHOULD NEVER SAVE WHEN BUYING SHOES!

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.JPG

4.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Morning everybody

6 years ago, I was in the US and my shoes were broken. I went to a shore store in San Fransisco to buy a pair of new shoes. I can't remember the name of the store, but today I think it was the Alden store. The store looked nice and I went in.

I was looking for a nice shoe for daly wearing. The guy showed me some boots and explained me that these are working boots. They looked quite nice and have been very comfortable. I still have the picture I sent to my girlfriend. I did not really like the white line around the shoe. But they were comfortable and I decided to buy them as I needed new shoes.

Now, 6 years later, a friend of mine asked me about these boots, which I wear daly for my hobbies, walking, hiking, playing golf and working in the garden, as the seller told me, these are working boots, made for worker. My friend asked me about the brand, which I actually didn't know. We realized that the brand name is Alden and the boots are named Indy (after some research). When googling for the shoe you find a lot of stories etc. about the shoes (which is strange, but I understand now). I also found this forum, where a lot of people write about theire experience with Alden shoes and Indy boots.

Today, I cared my boots a little bit with Swiss shoe cream (Burgol). And the boots still look quite nice after 6 years of wearing for working. I actually abused them. But you can use a good shoe for everything, otherwise it wouldn't be a good quality shoe.

I attach also some pictures of my shoes after cleaning and polishing. They still look damn good. I might never need to buy a new pair. This is my first posting ever, and mybe my last. Strange to write about shoes. But as I realizied that so many people write about theire alte shoes and indy boots I decided to write my story as well.

And for everybody who is thinking about buying a pair of indy boots, you will not regret it. It kind of an investment. YOU SHOULD NEVER SAVE WHEN BUYING SHOES!

View attachment 1047328

View attachment 1047331

View attachment 1047332

View attachment 1047333
I bought my first boots from Alden of SF as well, and they're also Indy boots. Yours look awesome. Wear them well! BTW - rotating two pairs is even better... :)

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there consensus on whether shill indy's fit smaller than calf or CXL versions? If the last matters, experience based on trubalance last preferred.

If anything, they may fit a hair larger at first because they can't last shell as tightly as they can CXL since it tends to tear. However, while CXL may stretch some over time to accommodate your foot, shell doesn't stretch much if at all.

itbegins

Reaction score
If anything, they may fit a hair larger at first because they can't last shell as tightly as they can CXL since it tends to tear. However, while CXL may stretch some over time to accommodate your foot, shell doesn't stretch much if at all.
Thanks. I have a pair of the j.crew PCT boots in #8 shell on the barrie last that fit well. I've heard these are small relative to Alden's typical barrie sizing. From your comment, sounds like shell indy on the Trubalance would be too big.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a pair of the j.crew PCT boots in #8 shell on the barrie last that fit well. I've heard these are small relative to Alden's typical barrie sizing. From your comment, sounds like shell indy on the Trubalance would be too big.

I've heard both that the J.Crew boots fit slight smaller and that they fit the same as other Barrie makeups so I'm not sure what to believe and I've never owned a pair so can't comment from personal experience. If they fit well and you don't otherwise know your TB size, I would probably start with the same size as your J.Crew boots. However, since TB is much more generous than Barrie on width you may be able get away with a 1/2 size smaller if you have some length to spare in your current boots. I'd recommend finding a store with CXL Indys (since shell tends to crease more easily) in your size that has a good return policy if you want to nail your size on the dot.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there consensus on whether shill indy's fit smaller than calf or CXL versions? If the last matters, experience based on trubalance last preferred.
For me it is pretty consistent. 11.5D is my size in CXL and shell Indys (both TB), and may Barrie pairs are all 11.5D as well. My shell Indys are actually 12D's. They fit OK out of the box, but I put some thin Pedag angora insole to take up some volume and now they're perfect. TB isn't as long as Barrie, so I think sizing up and using the insert works better than it might on Barrie.

McQ7

Reaction score
Hey all, I posted on the main Alden thread, but it's specifically Indy 404 related so...

I recently came across a description of Alden's Kudu leather as "chromexcel Kudu," which was news to me. This was on Shoe Mart's website. I realize it's not actual antelope, but was wondering if the Alden Kudu is as stretchy as cxl can be. Anyone?

McQ7

Reaction score
The reason I ask is because I had a pair of 403 and currently have a pair of 405. The 403 CXL fit was originally ideal, but over a short time the eyelets ended up to where they were almost touching--enough that the boots felt too large and I had to sell them. The 405 appear to be keeping close to their original structure and still fit well. I recall a YouTube vid of an owner who had a similar experience, although he could still wear his 403 boots.
I'm interested in a pair of 404 boots, but not if they're going to stretch out like the 403 CXL leather did.

McQ7

Reaction score
For me it is pretty consistent. 11.5D is my size in CXL and shell Indys (both TB), and may Barrie pairs are all 11.5D as well. My shell Indys are actually 12D's. They fit OK out of the box, but I put some thin Pedag angora insole to take up some volume and now they're perfect. TB isn't as long as Barrie, so I think sizing up and using the insert works better than it might on Barrie.

I'd love to know more about the insoles--are these the ones?
Did you size up and trim to fit? How have they held up? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads