• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

Carson

Reaction score
I have a pair of Trickers Leo in kudu and it is a great boot leather!
Yeah, Tricker's is using "real" kudu, and those boots look great. If I didn't have a hard time with their 4497 last, I'd probably try to find a pair. Great looking leather.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It pains me a bit to do this, but I've got a barely worn pair of 403 Indy Boots I'm looking to sell. Worn about 10 times total, and some of those wears were brief and/or indoors only. They are first quality, purchased by me new from The Shoe Mart back in September. I'm planning to make a proper B&S listing, but figured I'd offer anyone reading this thread first dibs. Size 10D, Trubalance last. And for what it's worth, I used extra insoles most of the time, so my feet didn't even touch the actual shoe insoles. Shipping within the U.S. PM if interested.

IMG_0082.jpg IMG_0083.jpg

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It pains me a bit to do this, but I've got a barely worn pair of 403 Indy Boots I'm looking to sell. Worn about 10 times total, and some of those wears were brief and/or indoors only. They are first quality, purchased by me new from The Shoe Mart back in September. I'm planning to make a proper B&S listing, but figured I'd offer anyone reading this thread first dibs. Size 10D, Trubalance last. And for what it's worth, I used extra insoles most of the time, so my feet didn't even touch the actual shoe insoles. Shipping within the U.S. PM if interested.

View attachment 919198 View attachment 919199

More pics and info if anyone is interested in these: https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/alden-403-indy-boots-size-10d-worn-less-than-10-times.7754/

Reaction score
Hello,
Need some advice on my first proper boot. Really digging the Indy. The purpose of whichever boot I buy is mainly casual, but I need it to work with a suit for future job interviews as well as on the sidelines coaching basketball (trousers with button up & tie or polo). I am trying to up my style game, and starting with some quality boots seems like a good start. Then I get a new suit or 2 to match the boot. I teach PE internationally so these are not to wear daily, and I rarely wear suits, hence mainly casual.
I’ve seen a couple that I think could work, but who knows if they are available or will be available in future.

The Church Hill Indy
The Indy Plaza handsewn vamp in smooth calf

Any other suggestions or should I look elsewhere than the Indy?

khakisofcarmel

Reaction score
WW PE Teacher,
The Indy is a killer boot with a rich history, I'm personally a huge Harrison Ford fan so wearing it gives me a confidence boost, just like any halo garment should. They are a casual boot and should by worn like a pair of raw denim, which means wear them with everything, everyday, and night lol. BUT, unless you're a geologist is the in the 30's, I'd suggest a tanker, cap toe or even a structured chukka - google "alden tanker boot" and "alden cap toe boot". The tanker can be made with a combat sole and would give you a more casual vibe that you could wear with jeans, khakis, and a suit.
Hope that help,
Sean

Carson

Reaction score
Hello,
Need some advice on my first proper boot. Really digging the Indy. The purpose of whichever boot I buy is mainly casual, but I need it to work with a suit for future job interviews as well as on the sidelines coaching basketball (trousers with button up & tie or polo). I am trying to up my style game, and starting with some quality boots seems like a good start. Then I get a new suit or 2 to match the boot. I teach PE internationally so these are not to wear daily, and I rarely wear suits, hence mainly casual.
I’ve seen a couple that I think could work, but who knows if they are available or will be available in future.

The Church Hill Indy
The Indy Plaza handsewn vamp in smooth calf

Any other suggestions or should I look elsewhere than the Indy?

Hi there. The Indy is an all-around great dress casual boot in most of its makeups. I think it works best with denim and chinos (or trousers), and if that's typical for you, you can't go wrong. I'm wearing the new horween leather 405's at this moment with a nice pair of selvedge denim jeans, an oxford button down shirt and a casual unstructured blazer. It's fine for that. I think most people would agree that the Indy is not really ideally suited for business suits or serious job interviews, although that would depend on the culture of where you're interviewing. This is mainly due to the trubalance last being less refined and the typical Indy boot leathers being more work or casually oriented. That said, the Church Hill Indy is one of the more refined versions of the boot. Since you don't wear suits that often, an Indy would be fine for - as I earlier said - more dress casual situations or your basketball coaching. Also, since you don't work in a more business formal environment, it wouldn't make sense to spend a lot of money on a more formal dress boot for the few times you wear a suit. Why not just get an Indy for your daily wear and find a simple, classic dress shoe for the few times you have to interview in a suit?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the rest - the shape of the Indy leans more casual. The Church Hill can make it with chinos/khakis, but wouldn't get as far as a suit. I agree with the rest that a nice Barrie-lased captoe boot (maybe with an antique edge) in a mid-brown would give you the best versatility for jeans as well as the more casual end of suiting. The two versions of that I currently wear are:
my tobacco Wingtip boots:
(with dress trousers)
IwlFC7q.jpg

with denim
UogF3dK.jpg

And my #8 captoe boots
with same trousers
OzIaQme.jpg

with denim
GXRpH99.jpg

macher

Reaction score
Hi interested in a plain toe boot with a commando sole on the Barrie last. I wear 7.5 in the Trubalance last. What are the differences in the 2 lasts and any sizing suggestions for the Barrie last boot. Thanks!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi interested in a plain toe boot with a commando sole on the Barrie last. I wear 7.5 in the Trubalance last. What are the differences in the 2 lasts and any sizing suggestions for the Barrie last boot. Thanks!
Generally sizing is the same. Barrie is a touch longer and TB is a bit wider, but I wear 11.5D in both.

macher

Reaction score
Hi tried on a pair of 404 Indy’s today. I seriously absolutely love the Kudu leather. To me a very underrated leather. Like the Vibram lug sole. But is it me or is it a boring boot? What’s missing from this boot like I said I love the leather.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
Hi tried on a pair of 404 Indy’s today. I seriously absolutely love the Kudu leather. To me a very underrated leather. Like the Vibram lug sole. But is it me or is it a boring boot? What’s missing from this boot like I said I love the leather.

Yeah, I get you. I've owned 404's twice and ended selling them both on ebay. It's very well made and rugged, but it's just to tonally boring for me as well to justify the expense. I think if they made the welt and stitching more contrast, as well as the laces (tan), it would be a little more interesting. That said, they're probably the Indy boots that Indy would want to wear out in the field....

macher

Reaction score
Yeah, I get you. I've owned 404's twice and ended selling them both on ebay. It's very well made and rugged, but it's just to tonally boring for me as well to justify the expense. I think if they made the welt and stitching more contrast, as well as the laces (tan), it would be a little more interesting. That said, they're probably the Indy boots that Indy would want to wear out in the field....

You owned them twice?

You mentioned justifying the expense. I would have to disagree per se. They are better made IMO than let’s say Red Wings. Now there’s other boots on the market which I’ve heard are better than Alden’s at around the same price.One of them is White’s. They have what’s called a MP360 Service boot but that’s a different style than an Indy. The silhouette is too ‘casual / formal’ for me.

I would say that the 404’s fit my style more but need just a little pizazz for me but not much more. I seriously prefer the Kudu leather vs CXL.

Not that I look for compliments but I get compliments when I wear my Cigar Beckman’s. I would consider Beckman’s in the plain side but maybe it’s the not too much contrast stitching and the welt that gives some pizazz.

Now I’m thinking I might get the 404’s before I pay the invoice for the Natural with all terrain sole.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
You owned them twice?

You mentioned justifying the expense. I would have to disagree per se. They are better made IMO than let’s say Red Wings. Now there’s other boots on the market which I’ve heard are better than Alden’s at around the same price.One of them is White’s. They have what’s called a MP360 Service boot but that’s a different style than an Indy. The silhouette is too ‘casual / formal’ for me.

I would say that the 404’s fit my style more but need just a little pizazz for me but not much more. I seriously prefer the Kudu leather vs CXL.

Not that I look for compliments but I get compliments when I wear my Cigar Beckman’s. I would consider Beckman’s in the plain side but maybe it’s the not too much contrast stitching and the welt that gives some pizazz.

Now I’m thinking I might get the 404’s before I pay the invoice for the Natural with all terrain sole.

I absolutely agree the are much better made than anything by Red Wing. I guess what I am trying to say is that it's kind of a funny boot for where they fit in and what you can do with it, and for nearly $600, it's not that versatile, IMHO. For example, it's not really a serious work boot or something you should ride a motorcycle with. In that case, as you pointed out, something by White's (or Wesco) is far more robust. I've owned a couple White's bounty hunter models (smokejumper on a semidress last), and they are some of the most robust work boots I have ever owned. Likewise, the 404 Indy isn't really ideal for a work casual environment, something you could do in the new Horween 405, a 403, shell, or some of the other special makeups that shops produce like the Church Hill Indy. I also considered using it as a hiking boot, but there's really no reason to spend $600 on a hiking boot - I have a pair of Italian goodyear-welted Alico hiking boots that I got for $180 on Sierra Trading Post, which are much better for that. SO, for me at least, I've always had a hard time figuring out what to do with a 404. Now, the Ultimate Indy in kudu by Leather Soul is a great makeup with kudu leather. I think this would be a great, much more versatile boot, and I wish Alden made this regularly: https://leathersoul.com/2012/03/30/alden-shoe-kudu-ultimate-indy-re-stock-lsw/
As for the beckman's both the contrast welt and the fact that it's a dress leather, rather than a matte finished leather, makes a big difference in the "pizazz" factor.

macher

Reaction score
Hi returned my Indy 404’s cause they don’t have enough pizzazz for me. Looking at either CXL or calfskin Indy’s. Which is the more tough ‘leather’ that can take a beating more? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads