• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

LeviStubbsTears

Reaction score
I myself am an 80's apologist. I was born in '85 and don't really have any valid memory myself of the clothes though. In the spirit of the thread I would like to think I'm inspired by the past but have no interest in being an anachronism. I also am, at least 4 days out of the week plunking around in denim and trainers. I would say one of my bigger influences was the "youth crew" look that came into the New York Hardcore scene in the 80's via teatotaling gentrifiers from Conneticut. At its worst it is just a bunch of grown men running around in cargo shorts and high top basketball shoes but at it's best it has a sort of post-Ivy collegiate jock sophistication. I also love the simplicity of the early terrace casual look. Blending those two together an ordinary look for me might be a blue OCBD under a heather grey crew neck sweatshirt, 501s and a pair of Samoas. Not a head turner look, but very understated and not totally devoid of influence from "the look" but also evocative of the finer parts of 1980's youth style.

I can also appreciate TWD's revulsion for a lot of 70's revival. I feel the same way about 1990's revival fashions, which are currently HUGE with people under 25. Coincidentally the 70's and 90's also managed to produce the ugliest football kits as well.

14wb0j6.jpg

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I was a teenager knocking about in central London during the 70's and anyone half-clued up didn't wear the standard mode of the day. It was an innovative period from which a lot of what came later stemmed. Someone mentioned Robert Elms's book 'The Way We Wore', in which Robert proceeds to be two years late on every front until reaching the New Romantic scene. Prior to which he was living out in the sticks and didn't have a clue. The relevance of his location is that back then, one could tell what area a kid came from by the way he dressed and, generally speaking, the closer one got to the centre, the better that was. Looks remained underground (A wanky term but applicable) far longer and some never came to light at all. For instance, there's a poster on here who, on another forum, once made a reference to 'Bowie pegs'. The fact is, many kids in London were sporting pegs in 73/4. I'm not sure when the pop-singer started but it was a later. We comment from a personal perspective and as such, everything is valid but the trouble is when that view's simultaneously overconfident and totally uneducated, it all gets a tad tiresome.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The doctor has told me that I have skin damage on the top of my head due to the effect of sunlight. Those of you who know me will know there's not much up there to filter the UV! So one piece of advice from her is to wear a hat.

So I'm open for recommendations. I'm not into 'scally caps' - I have one, and that's enough - and if I bought a Lenin cap I'd have to grow a goatee beard. Much as I love the Sage of Fitzwilliam, I don't want to wear anything that looks like you could stack slices of pizza around the brim and get away with it...

3.png

... nor could I carry off the stingiest of stingy-brimmed porkies.

So what else can you suggest?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bailey is great. I have a straw Panama hat by them as I, too, am of the pale-to-ruddy variety and have a history of skin cancer/melanoma in the family... It's good for the summer, mowing the lawn, on the beach, and I suppose dressed up/dappered, as well:

bailey-of-hollywood-stra-28690z.jpg

Then there are these sort of porkpie/fishing/bucket hats that I've always liked. Aside from a tartan scally cap, my grandfather wore one of these all the time(he was an avid golfer and fisherman).

oconnells-pork-pie-bucke-21453z.jpg

Then there's the "A Touch of Frost" David Jason hat:

irish-wool-tweed-walking-18168z.jpg

I've been tempted many times to purchase this last one, though haven't had the balls to pull the trigger. Being 42, it could be hard to pull off convincingly.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about tasteful baseball cap? It is just about possible I think - white or navy, close-fitting, velcro adjustment at back, a logo even

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about tasteful baseball cap? It is just about possible I think - white or navy, close-fitting, velcro adjustment at back, a logo even
Oxymoron. They never look good IMO and that's before we get to the point that they're ubiquitous over here.

I used to teach at the university and enforced a 'no hats indoors' rule in my class. Most of them were absolutely clueless about the convention of it being bad manners to wear your hat indoors.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be the outlier here and suggest a beret, a serious one like http://www.villagehatshop.com/produ.../campan-wool-basque-beret-and-luxury-box.html.
That is what I have and love it, though obviously for cooler (room temp and below) climes.
I completely deconstructed mine after realizing that it was too tight; I initially removed the leather trim and subsequently also took out the satin lining.
Oh, mine is the traditional size 10 (diameter), so not floppy at all.
This site has a little better explanation of the construction http://www.tailsandtheunexpected.com/hats/basque-berets/campan-luxury-beret.html
And this one was where I purchased it https://www.brittanyboutique.com/store/frenchberet.html
I'll stop now.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads