• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be the outlier here and suggest a beret,

For a moment I seriously thought of a beret with skinny driving gloves - which I like as a style anyway - and adopting/adapting the whole 1969 Northern Mod chic. But having followed those links, I have to say I do rather like the idea of a Basque beret!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about tasteful baseball cap? It is just about possible I think - white or navy, close-fitting, velcro adjustment at back, a logo even

The only baseball caps I have ever worn have been England Cricket ones. I wear them to death. As it happens, I've ordered the 2017 one, but that's really just a coincidence.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oconnells-pork-pie-bucke-21453z.jpg

Actually, that I really like!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pork pie bucket hat would be very handy - hard wearing and packable - but I'm having trouble locating a British supplier. Anyone seen them in the stores, or on a UK web site?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pork pie bucket hat would be very handy - hard wearing and packable - but I'm having trouble locating a British supplier. Anyone seen them in the stores, or on a UK web site?

O'Connell's from Buffalo, New York does 'em alright, and I believe they post overseas in a very cost-effective manner. Very American/Ivy but chic as fooog.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I spotted O'Connell's site. I'm glad they do cost-effective delivery.

I am going to have a little scout around in Perth today and Edinburgh over the next couple of weeks to see if I can spot anything. Bucket hats are ten a penny up here, pork pie buckets are not. But you never know.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Actually, that I really like!

I think this one Botolph posted a picture of is the Brooks Brothers rain hat ?
I intended to buy one in London, but they didn't have it in the BB shop. Typical. Available online, but i would like to try one to know my size.
This rain hat performs just as well when the sun shines. An Ivy classic and quite versatile IMO.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the pic of the hat Botolph posted and the BB rain hat, they are very similar, but there are one or two differences in detail. I'm tempted by the BB though.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah my first thought when I saw the pic was that it was a BB rain hat, which I don't think I've ever seen in the flesh but appears to be a bit of a trad staple mentioned in a few books I have.

Likenthe panama it's a good way to enter the hat world as it performs a function so you can sidestep accusations of trying to cosplay Sinatra or whatever.

The beret is interesting and was mentioned by Richard Barnes in 'Mods!' but I haven't seen many proponents of it either in period pictures or in real life so I wonder if that whole French thing with the Breton sweater and beret was just either a passing phase back in the day or just worn by a small sub set of Mods in their relentless search for one upmanship.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the DP version and while I dig the color combo and it's great for the beach, I would prefer the shorter/stingier brim of the BB. Can't seem to find it anywhere though. Link?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads