• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cloth is like new, and the majority of it was manufactured at mills in Yorkshire which are some of the best for quality in the world.
The DAKS coat was too good a bargain not to buy for 30 quid, even though it isn't traditional crombie style.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Yorky what great finds! I can still remember how excited I was earlier this year to stumble on the Horne bros. coat. It’s a great feeling.

Regarding the cloth, I am no expert, but others who are have advocated ‘ask to see the old stuff’ when it comes to cloth. Yes, get a good tailor to advise you and perhaps sell some that you don’t need (depending on the advice).

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Yorky what great finds! I can still remember how excited I was earlier this year to stumble on the Horne bros. coat. It’s a great feeling.

Regarding the cloth, I am no expert, but others who are have advocated ‘ask to see the old stuff’ when it comes to cloth. Yes, get a good tailor to advise you and perhaps sell some that you don’t need (depending on the advice).
Just seen your latest post - go for it!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The cloth is like new, and the majority of it was manufactured at mills in Yorkshire which are some of the best for quality in the world.
The DAKS coat was too good a bargain not to buy for 30 quid, even though it isn't traditional crombie style.
Actually it is traditional crombie style if you look at old crombie ads (cloth, they didnt make coats themselves then) you will find as much Flyfronted and not Flyfronted. Now for example skinheads seemed to prefer Flyfronted but well you also did with what you had. My first "Crombie" was not in crombie cloth and not Flyfronted but was inherited and in cashmere. A lovely coat that looked much better than all the cheap Flyfronted knock-offs you saw early 80s.
Your crombie seems like @Thin White Duke 's one to have the buttoning slightly on the side, that's original. TWD's one collar is more interesting though IIRC.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately the tailor that I used throughout the 80's,90's, and into the 2000's has now retired, and so I will have to seek out a new one.
He was a really down to earth bloke, he was always immaculate and an original mod in the early sixties and also in one of the first all mod scooter clubs in the area.
He came out with one of my favourite all time quotes, he was telling me about a friend that he used to go to Rugby with, who was a wealthy business man, that killed himself when his girlfriend finished with him. Gerry my tailor said that he couldn't understand it, " because when you've got money, you can get a lump of c##t anywhere"

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the tailor that I used throughout the 80's,90's, and into the 2000's has now retired, and so I will have to seek out a new one.
He was a really down to earth bloke, he was always immaculate and an original mod in the early sixties and also in one of the first all mod scooter clubs in the area.
He came out with one of my favourite all time quotes, he was telling me about a friend that he used to go to Rugby with, who was a wealthy business man, that killed himself when his girlfriend finished with him. Gerry my tailor said that he couldn't understand it, " because when you've got money, you can get a lump of c##t anywhere"
And even more to the point a man of taste should always be ‘sufficient unto himself’ ?

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Me and Mrs Yorky have been spending nearly every weekend since the start of January , and most of this week as it's half term at her recently deceased Aunties home in rural North Yorkshire, moving out all of her belongings. She had a lot of antique furniture etc which has gone to auction, but this week we were in the attic, in which was a large wooden chest, it appeared to have curtaining material in it, when I started to remove the top layers, my heart almost stopped, as I then came across all of this View attachment 1341163

View attachment 1341162

View attachment 1341160

View attachment 1341159

View attachment 1341161

View attachment 1341166

View attachment 1341165

View attachment 1341164

Her Aunties husband died young about forty years ago and from all accounts enjoyed they enjoyed the good life, and from photos I have seen of him a very well dressed gent. I can only imagine that he bought the cloth (of which there is metres of on each roll) to get made up at some point. My missis says that I would have been his best friend if we'd have met, and that I need to get some of it made up into a coat, jackets and trousers, and possibly a suit, which I will eventually do.
Then another thing occurred, we had taken a lot of things to her local Oxfam shop, on our final trip as we were leaving something on a mannequin caught my eye, which you can see below.

View attachment 1341168

I couldn't believe it when I looked at the label, a DAKS overcoat made from Crombie cloth. It is almost brand new in appearance, with no signs of wear and the tailors label says it is a size 40 Reg, which is my fit.
View attachment 1341169

View attachment 1341170

View attachment 1341171

View attachment 1341172
Result!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of interesting quotes from guys in the clothing business a friend of mine used to have a few designer shops in the 80s. I remember that I was hanging out with him one day while another bloke was trying on some trousers. My friend said ‘ they look so ******* good I am going out the back for a wank’. ??

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Yorky theres a Mod-leaning tailor in Leeds. I think it’s part owned by a lady. Can’t remember the name (age creeping up) but I’ve come across this on some other Mod forum and people were singing their praises so you might want to ask around. Not sure if it was full bespoke or MTM.

I just received my latest commission from Jason at Thick As Thieves. Absolutely chuffed with it he’s met my expectations once again. Pics coming soon once I let the travel creases fall out of it!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Yorky theres a Mod-leaning tailor in Leeds. I think it’s part owned by a lady. Can’t remember the name (age creeping up) but I’ve come across this on some other Mod forum and people were singing their praises so you might want to ask around. Not sure if it was full bespoke or MTM.

I just received my latest commission from Jason at Thick As Thieves. Absolutely chuffed with it he’s met my expectations once again. Pics coming soon once I let the travel creases falls out of it!
"Some other mod forum"? Will you stop with that "mod" word or i start a New discussion about Monkey Boots!
Ha Thick As Thieves. At least Jason falls in the skinhead category.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200222-111609.png

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, looking at my account I think 10/04/2017 was the last time I bought anything - so nearly three years - except for a couple of things 15 months ago that I have a good excuse for, and maybe my monkey boots.

Screenshot_20200222-140531.png

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
"Where have you been my blue-eyed son. Where have you been my darling young one..."
Levis Freewheelin Suze
(Unfortunately, this is not my waist size but it was the only photo I could find)
Happy New Year!

View attachment 1307598
I am going to get a LVC 551ZXX in a couple of weeks, but not faded, and made a few years ago so in Cone Mills denim.

According to a denimhead pal, the best LVC jeans repros ever made.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I am going to get a LVC 551ZXX in a couple of weeks, but not faded, and made a few years ago so in Cone Mills denim.

According to a denimhead pal, the best LVC jeans repros ever made.
Better late than never I suppose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads