• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
scrooge-e1415647043385.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
In a recent conversation @cerneabbas observed that the Reissues Fred Perry OCBDs look quite like the old Ben Shermans.

Vintage Ben Sherman OCBD
BS1.jpg

ben Sherman.jpg

Fred Perry OCBD
FP1.jpg
fred-perry-reissues-ss-heavy-oxford-shirt-white.jpg

'The Look Goes On' detail would be the size of the FP collar, a tad smaller so more contemporary than the old BS one.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew is huge in the USA. Like Next, yeah kind of.
They make good chinos if you get the right ones— or else you’ll get those low-rise, skinny abominations.
I also bought an OCBD of theirs— defo not the micro-collar twink proportions you find in a lot of current “fashionable” mainstream clothing.
They’re a brand with a few bits of corn you can pick out of the sh*t.

I have always thought that we shouldn't write off shops entirely,there are occasionally good items to be found in M&S still but much less than years ago,they seemed to see Next as their competition and tried to undercut them in a race to the bottom.Next are mostly cr@p but they do sell some interesting stuff online.Charles Tyrwhitt is another one,I don't like most of their stuff but I did find a coat there a couple of years ago.
I like the J Crew BDs and if they are in a sale they are a good buy,I will have to check out their Chinos when I go to London next.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

They are known for a lot of classic American ‘prep’ style. I used to be friends with a lass who worked there and was always encouraging me to go in but whenever I walked past everything was slack, sloppy, wrinkled, washed out.

Several years ago they came out with their Ludlow suits which are overpriced slim fitting half canvassed made in China of decent wool but almost exclusively variations on navy and gray wool and light blue and beige cotton. I have a few of these bought NWT at deep discount off eBay. They won’t be popular with the CM side as they have narrow lapels which is anathema to the groupthink who get tumescent whenever anyone posts a pic of lapels that would be at home in Saturday Night Fever.

J Crew is in huge debt and restructuring now so most of their top dogs have recently left and their recent season is much more generic and bland to broaden its appeal and sell more. Every other day they have 40% sales. Frank Murtjens who was the scruff designer who once made the ridiculous statement that ‘we design suits for people who don’t like wearing suits’ has gone. They have a new Crosby line with wider lapels but I don’t have any of them.

Like Botolph says there is some decent stuff to be had. I don’t own any of their chinos but they’re supposed to be good. I have a nice Breton top from them. They used to do collaboarions with Alden, Levi’s, lark’s etc but I think they’ve stopped that now.

I feel like that about Next and Debenhams,I just cant be bothered going into their shops now,I look online occasionally but Debenhams have gone downhill fast over the last few years.
I forgot about the J Crew collaborations,i managed to find a Gitman/J Crew BD on Ebay a couple of years ago,no one else bid and I got it dirt cheap probably the only gitman that I will ever buy because they are really expensive shirts here,good quality though.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a recent conversation @cerneabbas observed that the Reissues Fred Perry OCBDs look quite like the old Ben Shermans.

Vintage Ben Sherman OCBD
View attachment 1095905
View attachment 1095714

Fred Perry OCBD
View attachment 1095715 View attachment 1095716
'The Look Goes On' detail would be the size of the FP collar, a tad smaller so more contemporary than the old BS one.

I have looked at Ben Shermans over the years but they never seemed to make the plain pastel OCBDs that were popular here about 70/71,short or long sleeve versions.
I think that they are one of the few things that I wore then that I would like to wear now,not especially 'skinhead' even then and I doubt that they could be considered that way now unlike Gingham or bright check versions.
I will be keeping my eye out for the FP reissues shirt,I prefer the slightly smaller collar and I think that they have got the size spot on in this version.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I feel like that about Next and Debenhams,I just cant be bothered going into their shops now,I look online occasionally but Debenhams have gone downhill fast over the last few years.
I forgot about the J Crew collaborations,i managed to find a Gitman/J Crew BD on Ebay a couple of years ago,no one else bid and I got it dirt cheap probably the only gitman that I will ever buy because they are really expensive shirts here,good quality though.

Gitman Vintage are my BD shirts of choice now, the ones i've got were all bought at 50% off.
But i think my favorite shirt is a Gant Hugger (vintage reedition without logo) in 'fluffy oxford', that is the comfier and the more stylish shirt in my possession. Cut, material, and detailing are just perfect.
The Ratio Clothing shirts that @Botolph mentioned several times seem great too, they are just a bit too complicated for me as you have to order them online, i really prefer to try shirts before buying them as the fit is critical, and as i am tall and slender not easy to find one with a correct length and built at the same time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads