• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BigbigJohnny

Reaction score
This topic is very annoying.
Hmm, can we drop this Baotou discussion please? We're not getting anywhere. Yes, you can save money by going straight to the source, and yes, there are problems to be aware of. We seem to be rehashing the same things over and over again. At least, say something new.

IsABellyDad

Reaction score

Hi guys,

just got me my first bespoke suit from a Hong Kong Tailor. Please feel free to give your opinions and suggestions on the fit and quality of the suit, currently building up my suit wardrobe. I will try and take as many photos as I can. Any recommendations on adjustments and fit would be appreciated..

Requirements and notes taken on the detailing after discussion with the tailor:

2 pc suit, I like a fairly slim suit but work appropriate as I am a law intern.

- Single breasted Jacket with 2 buttons, side vents
-Trousers unpleated and uncuffed
-Surgeon's Cuffs
-Notch Lapel (but collar placed slightly higher than normal)
-Full canvassing
-Fabric by VBC (super 130), a reliable mill from my understanding
-Bamberg Silk Lining, Half lined for multi seasonal wear in a city with tropical weather
-Pick stitching on Lapel
-**Rounded shoulders not squared shoulders, with minimum padding? (like the suitsupply look)
Not sure if I've seen any HK tailors deliver this. HK suit normally seem to have square shape shoulders

note: the shirt is off the rack, should've worn a proper one

This is my second basted fitting.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Harry

Empire @ TST East? Just curious why you picked this tailor as it seems that it's rarely (if at all) mentioned in SF.

Your photos have not shown the trousers?

Lapel seems too thin as others have pointed out, but that is arguably personal choice.

Definitely wear a proper shirt for fitting. Try to take a direct front photo (ideally level at the middle of your body), a direct back photo, and a direct side photo. Else, cannot really tell.

Hifilover

Reaction score

Empire @ TST East? Just curious why you picked this tailor as it seems that it's rarely (if at all) mentioned in SF.

Your photos have not shown the trousers?

Lapel seems too thin as others have pointed out, but that is arguably personal choice.

Definitely wear a proper shirt for fitting. Try to take a direct front photo (ideally level at the middle of your body), a direct back photo, and a direct side photo. Else, cannot really tell.

Is Empire owner Indian ? Most probably fake full canvas (has some fusing). What is their price for VBC 130's suit?

Haroldwong

Reaction score
Sure, they seem to be 2 1/4 (quarter) inches wide, might ask the tailor for 2.5? For my slim build and slim cut he suggested 2 1/4

Haroldwong

Reaction score
Yea " Empire International Tailors " . Just based on google search and my brother in law has tried in them in SF trunk show.
Yes I should have posted only trouser photos too. I think they seemed a bit long so I asked for less break. Will post more photos next week.

Haroldwong

Reaction score
I think so? not sure, didn't ask where they're from. No it wasn't glued, was definitely floating. HK $ 7792 2 pc

echow

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just to kindly inquire again would anyone have any good suggestions for odd trouser makers in hongkong ot south-east asia?

Hi Everyone,

Can I kindly get a good recommendation for a good tailor for odd trousers in hong kong or even around SouthEast Asia.

Perferably better trouser makers than lee baron but quality similar or a step below ww chan in price. I was looking at ah man hing cheong at the mandarin, however they quoted me a general
price range of 4000 HKD and Im looking for something cheaper, I cant justify that kind of cost.

I'm in need for 5 new sets as my luggage has been lost so need to get new pairs made.

Places where I have tried already for shirts/suit/shoes around South East Asia to share:

Ascott Chang-Nelson at Ascott Chang has been wonderful with his service, have about 25+ shirts from
them. Cut and worksmanship is great, drawbackmis its expensive.

WW Chan (Shanghai)- Have got all my ofd trousers made there and they've held up in durability and workmanship 7+ years and their specials on odd leftover fabrics are pretty good value for money. Their buy 2 get 1 free shirting specials with their pearl buttons are good as well.
Shirt got cut does not equal AC's though.
Had a blue blazer made a long time ago which turned out way too big. Freddy at the Portman is a good gentleman to deal with. Unfortunately, I dont have a chance to visit shanghai often anymore

Eleganza Uomo (Shanghai) -By raymond kiang who used to work for WW chan, similar to WW chan shanghai but cheaper/cut below. Worksmanship about the same in my opinion

Lee Baron- Made linen fused blazers, which turned out pretty good. Not fond if their shirts or trousers, takes multiple rounds before they get a decent fit. If Peter is on hand to supervise its better. Price is getting expensive too.

Zees-Go to for shoes, after the first pair which was too narrow, have 15+ pairs from them, as they make the shoes wide enough than pairs of vass and carmina I own. Need to be present there for fittings as things go wrong occassionally.

Jantzen- Good value when its made correct, but its not very often they get it right the first 2 fittings.

Iris Tailor (Singapore)- Good value and cuts for suits.
Shirts quality below Lee baron/ww chan and ascott
The Jackets are great, worksmanship and the trousers a bit lacking, cut still good though.

CYC (Singapore)- Not worth the money

Narin Cotoure (Bangkok) - Shirts came out okay, good quality however service and his attitude irritates me too much to go back. Never had suits done there

Tanika Tailor (Bangkok)- Did an odd trouser, cut was so so however corteous and easy to work with.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Everyone,

Just to kindly inquire again would anyone have any good suggestions for odd trouser makers in hongkong ot south-east asia?

Go to Dream bespoke and tell Ricky fishball send you in, he will take care of you. :)
I think his price point is around the same as Lee Baron

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go to Dream bespoke and tell Ricky fishball send you in, he will take care of you. :)
I think his price point is around the same as Lee Baron

Ricky nicely handled my wedding suit and Senior Kwan "show-hand" his great ironing skill when I took the suit in quite a rush. Gotta bring him some beer next week.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Hello all,

Can someone provide Ng sifu's (@SSP)contact information? I will be in HK for 2 weeks. Is it enough time to get a suit made?

Many thanks.

He is one of the many BaoTou with his own workshop in Mirador Mansion in TST. He speaks Cantonese only. He works for a few tailor shops at the same time.

I receive PMs everyday asking about BaoTou. I am only a consumer, I can never try all BaoTou, therefore, I cannot make a ranking for all of them. I don't recommend BaoTou. They all have different standard and different price, we pick according to our own needs.
170# BEST VALUE TAILOR IN HONG KONG
http://www.styleforum.net/t/68785/best-value-tailor-in-hong-kong/165

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt