• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

Petey

Reaction score
very nice Mr ShirtingFantasy. Thanks for sharing. His hand work seems very good. Who's your top three shirt maker if I could ask?

Have a great weekend

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
so quiet here

Let's bump it up then. I'll start.

Here's are some old photos of my Loro Piana jacket, which was made up by Wong sifu in mirador last year.
DSC01792_LR2.jpg

wong sifu.jpg

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's some serious waist suppression right there. How do you like the fit and cut?
Thanks for the comment. I've tried a handful of the independent tailors at Mirador, and they each of their pros and cons. However, I like Wong sifu's cut the best. Even though I'm now in my fourth decade of life, I find it is more appropriate to my age, activities, etc. Some of the HK tailors can border too much on a business cut.

As for waist suppression, this is a common problem that I have due to my body shape (v taper?). Either (i) we supress all the way and it appears quite exaggerated or (ii) we are more conservative in supression, but we leave a large gap around the waist, which can equally look ridiculous. The best course of action is to elect the right balance -- which is the tailors' purview.

Stanacle

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment. I've tried a handful of the independent tailors at Mirador, and they each of their pros and cons. However, I like Wong sifu's cut the best. Even though I'm now in my fourth decade of life, I find it is more appropriate to my age, activities, etc. Some of the HK tailors can border too much on a business cut.

As for waist suppression, this is a common problem that I have due to my body shape (v taper?). Either (i) we supress all the way and it appears quite exaggerated or (ii) we are more conservative in supression, but we leave a large gap around the waist, which can equally look ridiculous. The best course of action is to elect the right balance -- which is the tailors' purview.
Have you tried Ng sifu? How do you compare Ng sifu with Wong SY sifu? I have been a regular customer of Ng sifu and now I'm contemplating whether to give Wong SY sifu a try. Does the end product justify the higher price tag? Cheers.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Have you tried Ng sifu? How do you compare Ng sifu with Wong SY sifu? I have been a regular customer of Ng sifu and now I'm contemplating whether to give Wong SY sifu a try. Does the end product justify the higher price tag? Cheers.
Yes, I have consulted Ng sifu on numerous occasions and he is pretty solid. He differs from Wong sifu in two major respects: (1) the cutting -- Ng sifu is more classic British business whilst Wong sifu is more pseudo-Italian with light shoulders; (2) Wong sifu works with one of the best teams across the border for making up coats and trousers; Ng sifu (I believe) manages his own team, when possible, and they are not bad.

I'll try to post more pictures of my various comissions in due course -- I just have to find them.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. I've trawled a bit and found another of Wong sifu's creations:

mmexport1603378925515.jpg

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
will have a fitting in early Sept, and expect the end product ready by mid Sept. sifu explained this H&S vintage gabardine fabric has water-resistant function, not water-repellent or waterproof function.

planning for a leather car coat, and found leather fabric shops are offering very limited choices for the moment. they are selling old stocks only. due to the pandemic, they don't purchase new leather fabric this year. I will wait for high grade leather fabrics coming back next year.
Budget : leather jacket workmanship by a retired sifu HK$1k + high grade leather fabric HK$2k = HK$3k. it's nice to have high grade leather jacket tailor made for this price.

Last edited:

Petey

Reaction score
thanks you for the update @PeakingRoadHK. What else are you preparing this Fall?

will have a fitting in early Sept, and expect the end product ready by mid Sept. sifu explained this H&S vintage gabardine fabric has water-resistant function, not water-repellent or waterproof function.

planning for a leather car coat, and found leather fabric shops are offering very limited choices for the moment. they are selling old stocks only. due to the pandemic, they don't purchase new leather fabric this year. I will wait for high grade leather fabrics coming back next year.
Budget : leather jacket workmanship by a retired sifu HK$1k + high grade leather fabric HK$2k = HK$3k. it's nice to have high grade leather jacket tailor made for this price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads